Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30/30 ai

In Remembrance

30/30 ai

In the cast boolit world is there any real benefit to the AI over the standard 30/30??
    A guy has an old 340 savage chambered in the 30/30 AI for sale. I am just wondering if it is worth gearing up for.
    I think he is asking a little much, unless it is near perfect condition, but I may look into it anyway.

In Remembrance
    Bbbbbut I like my old 340 savage 30/30, and probably am going to look at it's little brother this evening. lol They is so ugly, their cute, at least that works for puppies and babys. lol

Plus side for the AI, get the same velocity at a little less pressure. Down side, neck is shorter and a little harder to keep the base of the bullet in the neck.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

I think the 340/325 is a heck of a good looking bolt action rifle.... better than something like a Remington.....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    The standard .30-30 is a great cast bullet cartridge. They ruined it with the Ackley Improved, turning it into a sort of rimmed mini .308 Winchester.

Smaller case capacity and a longer neck to cover the groove section of boolits are advantages.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    if the price was right I would go for it. You still can shoot standard szed ammo in it and for reloading cast I bet you could do it on standard dies until they needed sized to fit. However I would not try find the "improved" top end limits with that one lug holding the important stuff together!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    They're wonderful! With that split bridge that requires a side scope mount, and a sheet metal band that wraps around the barrel to hold it into the stock, what's not to like?
    that split bridge demands a receiver sight.... which for a 30-30 hunting rifle is far better than a scope...

and if the gun shoots, who cares what is wrapped around the barrel?

they just look wonky good, and are a "Feel Good" gun where you pick it up, and it just seems to fit right.....

unlike a RemChester.... that always feel heavy, and weighted forward. That might be OK for longer range shooting, but for quick snap shooting, the 325 works good....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

I have never held or shot a Savage, so I can't comment. However, regarding the cartridge, I have an EABCO 97 in their proprietary 30-30-Imp (they call it .300 Bench Rest Magnum, honest, never figured that one out) It has a short neck and is very accurate with jacketed bullets. However, the neck is really short. I prefer the factory 30-30 for cast bullets.

Instead of 300 yard shots, just move your blind closer. LOL

Boolit Master

I have a 336 in .30-30 AI and love it for jacketed but I do like the stock .30-30 for cast better.

In Remembrance
    I passed on it, but the guy also had a 340 in 222 that he had restocked. No ugly duckling here, except for the scope mount that did follow me home.

Addict

I've had a few 340s over the years, and I've got a Stevens 325 30-30 now with a Lyman peep sight and an ultra-classy birch stock. IMHO, Pros: It's light and replaced my .22 magnum as a "walkin' around" rifle and points real nice and shoots CBs good.

Cons: 1. The barrel band. 2. MOSTLY that %$#@*&! trigger configuration. When I get the trigger pull down, the bolt sometimes comes out because of that precarious balance between the sear gizmo. Sometimes it frustrates me to the point of selling it (like the other 2). As for the awkward scope mounting--I don't think it was meant to have a scope. IMHO.

But if I saw one at a reasonable price in a interesting cartridge like 30-30 AI, I'd probably buy it. In fact, I'm looking at a 30-30 Sav. 340 with NO scope holes at a reasonable price. Looking for a receiver sight. (What is the heck is wrong with me!?).

Boolit Bub
    Currently have a Savage 6400 in .30/30 and love it. Love being able to play with spire pointed bullets in a .30/30. Mostly use it foe very light loads, 100gr Lee Plain Base RN and 3.gr of Bullseye. Would like to get a receiver sight for it also, what do you all recommend that will work with the current (factory) front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    I've had a few 340s over the years, and I've got a Stevens 325 30-30 now with a Lyman peep sight and an ultra-classy birch stock. IMHO, Pros: It's light and replaced my .22 magnum as a "walkin' around" rifle and points real nice and shoots CBs good.

Cons: 1. The barrel band. 2. MOSTLY that %$#@*&! trigger configuration. When I get the trigger pull down, the bolt sometimes comes out because of that precarious balance between the sear gizmo. Sometimes it frustrates me to the point of selling it (like the other 2). As for the awkward scope mounting--I don't think it was meant to have a scope. IMHO.

But if I saw one at a reasonable price in a interesting cartridge like 30-30 AI, I'd probably buy it. In fact, I'm looking at a 30-30 Sav. 340 with NO scope holes at a reasonable price. Looking for a receiver sight. (What is the heck is wrong with me!?).