Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: slow cooker corned beef this year

slow cooker corned beef this year

Normally I put the brisket on the stove top but this year I went with a slow cooker.

Took the spice packet and crushed the whole spices and put in a cup of boiling water
    then took the brisket and put in a ziplock bag and put in beer and ginger beer
    water with spices - kept in the cooler for 1 day

Put two cans beef broth in slow cooker added brisket and liquid from previous day
    added additional spice, salt, whole cloves of garlic, yukon potatoes, carrots, celery, yellow onion
    let cook on high for 6 hours - then added wedges of cabbage for last hour

Took a cup or two of cooking liquid put in pan and reduced by half
    added to sour cream and horseradish to make table sauce.

All in all a nice family meal for St Paddy's day.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds tasty. I like to toss it on the smoker and turn it into pastrami, smoke the cabbage wrapped in foil with just an inch hole on top next to it after coring it and stuffing with chopped bacon.

Vendor Sponsor

Dang MaryB that cabbage recipe sounds good! And so does Artful's slow cooker recipe!

Today I made a facebook post that says: "You want to know how crappy it is outside? Corned beef and cabbage crappy! Pretty crappy huh?" Then posted this pic with it:

Attachment 99797

For the cabbage I added half a yellow onion, 4 cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, and a shake of Sylvia's Chicken Rub.

For the corned beef I used a corned eye of round, and added the spice packet, a fat tablespoon of pickling spice, 2 bay leaves and some liquid Zatarain's crab boil which is just spicy pickling spice.

I use a crock pot with red potatoes in the bottom, corned beef on top.

Vendor Sponsor

Hmmm was out of that really good Beaver Brand cream horseradish sauce! Mixed up 1/4c mayo, 1/4c unsweetened yogurt, 1/4c ground horseradish, 1tsp yellow mustard, and a cpl good squirts of Srirachi hot sauce.. Weren't bat at all!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Next year I am corning my own corned beef.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Slow smoked is good, too.

This week my wife from the phillipines made some amazing corned beef and cabbage using a slow cooker (crock pot) red potatoes, cabbage, onions, and carrots........ it was soooooo good
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    This week my wife from the phillipines made some amazing corned beef and cabbage using a slow cooker (crock pot) red potatoes, cabbage, onions, and carrots........ it was soooooo good
    So you going to share what she did with us?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Basically followed the direction from some recipe she found.... I just wanted to share since she ruins almost everything that doesn't involve rice
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

One of the best mistakes I ever made was getting a convection oven, (wife sent me for a microwave, what do I know, they're the same size and shape). If nothing else, it makes the best corned beef I ever had! Crisps the fat and locks in juices, (though I may try that smoker idea, sounds good).

Boolit Buddy
    I also used a Crock Pot for my corned beef & cabbage on St. Patricks day. I have always stove topped it, or if in a hurry put it in the pressure cooker. It came out great. Brisket, spices, potatoes and carrots went in in the beginning. Poured a bottle of stout over all and added the cabbage with an hour to go.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803