RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Magnum Powder Choices

Boolit Master

357 Magnum Powder Choices

I figured this was the place to post. I was hoping someone could shine some light on the popular powder choices for 357.
    i'm leaning towards the heavy end of the spectrum with boolit choices as I have a 358156 with the GC shank removed and recently borrowed a 358429 from a friend.
    I don't need top end teeth rattling loads, but I want to know that I'm shooting a magnum round.
    In countless threads I've read of people using Unique and2400
    My issue with these powder is that they really seem to use a whole lot of powder for the velocity and pressures listed in the manuals. I could see using H100/W296 as the massive amount of powder gives a massive velocity. It just doesn't seem to be a good trade off to use 14 grains of powder to obtain what you could with 7 grains of another powder.
    I understand that bullet seating depth and bullet construction does create some variables in the data but lets make some comparisons

Alliant Manual
    158 GDHP 14.8 grains 2400 1256 FPS

Hodgdon Manual
    158 XTP 9.5 Grains HS-6 1375 FPS
    " " 6.0 Grains 231 1220 FPS
    " " 6.3 Grains Universal 1133 FPS

I'm not saying 2400 is a good or bad powder, or that any of these other powders fit better. It just seems to me that you would want to run a powder that would give you the targeted velocity with half the amount of powder if possible.
    Unless you needed the extreme speed of H100/296 of Lil Gun loads it seems excessive to use so much powder to do the same thing as 6 grains go 231/HP8

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. When I first started researching loading 357 I searched for load data and forums for suggestions using powders I had on hand. I read a lot of posts stating that Universal Clays was more of a mid range powder and to use a more standard powder for 357 like 2400.
    I guess I should have read some more, because it doesn't seem like it does much more considering it uses double the powder to barely outperform it.

Please shine some light on this guys.
    It seems that Universal can do just about all that 2400 can in most pistol cartridges with the exception of the magnum big bores.

I know that the same is true of a lot of different powders, and we're lucky to have so many to choose from. Lets face it, with the current situation in most areas of the US most of the time we have to settle for whatever powder we can find on the shelf and adjust accordingly, but given the choice how many of you run what I would call and inefficient powder in a cartridge and how many make choices based off of efficiency and then play with loads to find accuracy later?

thanks guys!

I like using a powder that gives me lowest velocity spread around 1000fps...full or half full case. So far Tin Star N32C is the best for me and it burns LOTS cleaner than most. 5.6 gr nearly fills .357 magnum case. Bullseye does verygood, but lots dirtier.

Some say a bulky powder that takes up most room in case is better, only a chroni and target will tell.
    Last edited by detox; 03-17-2014 at 11:04 PM.

My ancient lyman manual has an accuracy load using imr 7625. Around 1000 fps. Might be worth a look.

Boolit Master

I forgot to note that it seems Hodgdon lists a much wider variety of uses for their powders than Alliant does. I've seen some old Lyman manuals and read plenty of articles with fast burning powders and heavy bullets to make decent velocity. It seems Alliant has opted out and doesn't list the mid range loads with fast powders.
    For instance Hodgdon lists 180 grain bullets with titegroup which is pretty fast and similar to bullseye in burn rate.
    Alliant will do no such thing.
    That could be part of the versatility issue I'm seeing in the manuals.

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you have a chronograph?

I've owned one for 35 years now (not the same one), and learned long ago that what you read in loading manuals is very often not what you read on the chronograph.

When I experiment with various powders, I'm looking for accuracy (consistency) first, if that is accomplished I do speed testing. After 35 years and dozens of different powders, I've settled on two favorites for .357 magnum, those are Alliant BlueDot for mid range to near full velocity, and Lil'Gun for balls to the wall, flame thrower, top velocity.

Of course I still use other powders, but those are the two I use most.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I've been using Bluedot in my .357 for 30 years. I am very happy with my choice. I see that the new BD was a warning not to use it with 125gr & 158gr projectiles but I've never had an issue, but then all my BD powder was purchased 30 years ago and I am down to my last pound so I may be looking at a different powder when I run out as I shoot a lot of 125gr 'ners

Boolit Master

Check Unique again. I think it might meet your needs based on your post. Half the charge weight (about) Of H110 and a good portion of the velocity.

As others have pointed out, there is more to the equation than just velocity. You raise some valid points and the end use of the ammunition must be considered.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Banner Sponsor

I really like BlueDot for the 357mag. It burns clean, has less muzzle blast than 296 and gives some great top end velocities. I used to load lots of it with 125 and 158gn bullets. This is the first I've seen about a warning for lighter bullets. Is it printed on the container?

Boolit Buddy
    4.8 grains of Titegroup with a 158 grain (no gas check). Only 1000FPS or so, but very low recoil. Good for women and children too.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just checked the Alliant web site load data and they list several loads for BlueDot with 110 to 170 grain bullets. As I recall, the weight they warned not to use was 125 grain.

Here's a link:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...0&cartridge=28
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned

The only warning on Blue Dot in .357 is for 125 grain bullets only. 110 OK 158 OK. Anything but 125.

Boolit Master
    MJ -

Howdy !

RX -
    14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) and SP Magnum primer..... under any Lyman .357 cal SWC of 158 - 172gr. They don't have to be GC.
    Other's 158gr SWCs also work just fine.

Also, 7.0 IMR4756 SP primer and same bullets as above. Load is accurate, and only just a tad " sooty ".

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Buddy
    4756 is the nicest mid range powder for the .357 I've found.
    6.5 grains under any 158 grain bullet (lead, plated or jacketed) works well for me. Definitely more that a .38, but less than magnum muzzle blast.
    Meters great, good volume, burns very clean.

Boolit Master
    Anything from Unique through Herco to Blue Dot. Keep in mind when you try to get slow-powder velocity out of a faster powder, the pressure curve is steeper. You want the firearm to remain a firearm and not a grenade.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I really like BlueDot for the 357mag. It burns clean, has less muzzle blast than 296 and gives some great top end velocities. I used to load lots of it with 125 and 158gn bullets. This is the first I've seen about a warning for lighter bullets. Is it printed on the container?
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ue-dot-powder/
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    I really like the 358156 w/gc over 2400 13.5 gr. in my Ruger SS 6" (1275 fps) and Marlin 1894 (1635 fps). The 358477 over 2400 11.0 gr. or Blue Dot 8.5 is a nice mid-range at @ 1050 fps. For plinking fun I load 358242 (120), 358495, 358477, 358156 wo/gc or 3258311 over Red Dot/ Promo 5.0.

Michael-J-Spangler - The part you are missing is: If you want magnum loads and magnum feel the best and safest approach is to use a magnum powder. By definition that is a slow powder like 2400 or H110. They require larger charges. However you want the use less powder (like half), after all it's a lot cheaper that way. Those don't provide the performance of the magnum powders. You really can't have the best of both. However, many of the answers provide alternatives like using Blue Dot or Unique. Good options and they may work for you.

Take a look at the loading data again, using a site like Hodgdon's, the very fast powder have a max at lower pressures (lower performance and lower bang), the slow powder have a max at higher pressures. The reason is based on what works the best and what is safe to use. They know what they are talking about. The midrange powders perform pretty well, but they don't provide the max performance of a magnum powder or the thriftiness of the fast powders.

The beauty of the 357 is the wide range of powder charges that work, the wide range of bullet weights that work, the small charges of fast powder can be cheap and the big loads of slow powders offer excellent performance. In a great varitey of barrel lengths. You might want to have target loads and different magnum loads, or keep searching for a good compromise that you like in your gun. That may be Blue Dot or Unique or an AA powder. I'm not as famliar with them so I can't speak from experience regarding their products.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 03-18-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Thanks guys.
    All good suggestions.
    I was really just wondering if you wanted a mid range load as I so often see with 2400 or unique, is there a down side to running half as much titegroup to do the same thing?
    I guess I'm saying that if you're looking for 1000 fps in a 357 with a 358429 is there a reason to use 13.5 grains of 2400 instead of 5.5 grains of titegroup?

Thanks guys!

Boolit Master

I guess I'm saying that if you're looking for 1000 fps in a 357 with a 358429 is there a reason to use 13.5 grains of 2400 instead of 5.5 grains of titegroup?
    In the first place 13.5/2400/358429 is more like 1200 fps depending on the barrel length but if 1000 fps is what you're looking for 2400 is not the best choice IMO. You are the only one who needs to be happy with the powder selection. If TG or any other faster powder gives you the accuracy you want at the speed you want it's game over. When I shoot the .357 as a Magnum I use 296/H110 loaded max for about 1300 fps with 358429 and excellent accuracy. Blue dot and 2400 also do very well on the top end. When I shoot it as a .38 spl I use a load of Bullseye to give me 900 fps with a 158RN or SWC. Pick your powder for the level you're working at.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle