RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag and Titegroup load problem

44 mag and Titegroup load problem

I recently picked up a 29-2 ,4inch Smith and Wesson.
    Loaded some 240 grn hard cast bullets from Georgia Arms, 9 grns of Titegroup and a WLP primer.I was looking for a load around a 1000fps.
    When I took the Smith out last week it shot well for about 10 rounds then I had one just go poof and a little sizzle.I had one years ago where I had missed putting powder in a 357 mag from a Green Machine so I only had a pop with that one and the bullet had lodged between cylinder and forcing cone ,locking up the gun.

I checked the smith and cylinder was locked from bullet stuck in gap.
    Knocked bullet back into casing and cleared weapon.Casing was extremely black all the way to rim.I wiped gun down reloaded and shot 6 more rounds no problem.
    Let a shooting partner try the gun and on first shot it did the same thing.
    I thought I could have missed powder on one or maybe I had a piece of walnut shell stuck in flash hole but not 2 out of about 20 shots.

I had been real careful on loading these used cleaning station on all primer pockets and cleared all walnut shell stuck in flash hole.(getting away from that)

When charging shells I had put five in loading block ,dropped powder into those 5 visually checking then seating bullets with medium crimp.
    I came back home and checked each remaining round by shaking and hearing powder.

Took the gun back out Saturday and it happened 5 more times out of 30 shots some were on first shot so I ruled out bullet movement from recoil,But recoil was not bad anyway.

Just wondering what ya'll think could be happening .I am getting ready to pull the last 40 I had loaded.
    Darrell
    I have loaded some 45 LC with same jug of Titegroup no problems
    Last edited by Wickyd; 03-17-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added

Your load is one grain less than maximum according to the Hodgdon people (http://www.hodgdon.com/ ). Your description does not include any information that would point to a malfunction. I think you are right to pull the bullets and examine the components. I suspect contaminated powder, but you can't tell with examining it.

BTW, I would expect closer to 1200 fps than 1000.

A long shot might be to look at the hammer spring. If it has been replaced with an extremely light spring, it could (like I said, long shot) cause a weak firing of the primer.

Boolit Master
    Take the load out and when you get ready to fire hold the gun up vertical shake the gun so the powder is back against the primer cock the gun and slowly lever the gun out aim and fire. If the loads go off and do okay than the load density is wrong for the powder no matter what Hodgdons says. Also try a few with the gun held down shake the gun and cock it and bring the gun up slowly and fire. See what it does then. You may be surprised at how poorly the load performs.
    It wont hurt to do this and will prove that load density is too low.

All primers are hit pretty hard so I am ruling that out but will keep an eye on future ones
    I have loaded some 45LC loads at 8 grns Titegroup (same pound jug)with a 250 grn bullet and WLP primers the day before I loaded the 44 mags. I have not had any issues with those but I have only shot about 20 total of those.
    I was wondering about position,I always try to start from a muzzle down position which would have the powder away from the primer then followup shots are either start from muzzle down for slow fire or muzzle dropping back to target from more rapid fire.
    the misfires seemed to mostly occur from the first couple of shots.
    I had read from Google searches Titegroup is not position sensitive.
    Should I just pull all and go to Win 231 it would be close to same powder charge or try some COW or Dacron to see if that solves the problem.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Take the load out and when you get ready to fire hold the gun up vertical shake the gun so the powder is back against the primer cock the gun and slowly lever the gun out aim and fire. If the loads go off and do okay than the load density is wrong for the powder no matter what Hodgdons says. Also try a few with the gun held down shake the gun and cock it and bring the gun up slowly and fire. See what it does then. You may be surprised at how poorly the load performs.
    It wont hurt to do this and will prove that load density is too low.
    I am going to keep a few of these loads and try this next time out.
    thanks
    Darrell

Boolit Master

Just as an aside, I have fired 100,s of 44 mag with 240 grain lead bullets and 6 grains of titegroup with no problems of misfires of any kind. Never gave a thought to how the powder was laying in the case.
    Don't know but could it be the powder or the primers ? Seem the power was check before the bullet was loaded.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    There no powder that is position sensitive if the density is high enough. If you would use a magnum primer that may solve it. My experiment is easily done, Wont hurt anything and will prove if the load density is enough or not
    For an example in the 45 Colt. I used a 13.5 gr load of HS-6 with a 215 gr cast. The Speer book said 12.5 was max for SAAMI spec on a 200 gr jacketed.
    While shooting I would notice a hollow sound to some of the rounds. Not much but some. I shot some over the chrony with the with the powder forward and some with the powder against the primer. There was over 100 fps between the two averages. When shot normally the average was almost between the two with ES and SD within reason. But the load WAS/IS position sensitive.
    What if I had been using 11.5 or 12.0 gr with even lower load density?
    Do what you want. I am just stating what I've found with some loads.
    Take it or leave it. Believe it or not.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    There no powder that is position sensitive if the density is high enough. If you would use a magnum primer that may solve it. My experiment is easily done, Wont hurt anything and will prove if the load density is enough or not
    For an example in the 45 Colt. I used a 13.5 gr load of HS-6 with a 215 gr cast. The Speer book said 12.5 was max for SAAMI spec on a 200 gr jacketed.
    While shooting I would notice a hollow sound to some of the rounds. Not much but some. I shot some over the chrony with the with the powder forward and some with the powder against the primer. There was over 100 fps between the two averages. When shot normally the average was almost between the two with ES and SD within reason. But the load WAS/IS position sensitive.
    What if I had been using 11.5 or 12.0 gr with even lower load density?
    Do what you want. I am just stating what I've found with some loads.
    Take it or leave it. Believe it or not.

Yep, I use titegroup in all my pistols, in my 44 SBH I use Mag primers.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

My go to 44 mag load with TG powder is 7.0grs @900+ fps, ive shot tens of thousands of them through at least 6 different 44 mags excellent accuracy and no problems with any of them.
    with TG powder i use std primers in the 44M ! even with 9.0 grs of TG in the 454 casull @1,100 fps

From what you described with the one bullet sticking in your forcing cone/cylinder gap, I suspect you had no powder in the case and it likely is the cause of your problems. What press are you using? A blackened base on the bullet suggests to me all that went off was the primer with little to no powder in the case.

While unlikely, you might have a bad batch of powder or powder that has been compromised.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you visually checking the powder level in the cases each and every time? Are your cases the same length? If it is working fine in the 45 Colt, but not the 44, it seems unlikely that it is the powder, unless the contamination occurred between the two loadings. Could you have accidentally dumped a slow burning rifle powder in the wrong container? This is perplexing, since I and many others have used Titegroup with no such problems. Perhaps loading a dozen or so while weighing each charge may reveal the difficulty.
    44#1's suggestion is a good one, I'd also look at my crimp and try to make sure they are all pretty much the same.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I am really thinking it might have something to do with the powder measure. The bullet stuck in the forcing cone/cylinder gap with black soot on the base is caused by only the primer going off with no powder in the case. Yes it has happened to me and others I know of and have shot with. As the last poster indicated very unlikely the powder itself.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    May be very unlikely it's the powder. Because it isn't the powder but what is happening to the powder. But a lot of the times one does all kinds of investigative work to later find that the cause of a problem was a very unlike cause so they overlooked it.
    I've never had any problems with A lot of powders but if I do I am going to look at as many possibilities as I can.

I only have a couple of observations about the subject at hand, to wit;

1. Place your charged case in a loading block and inspect the powder height with a strong life. Thus endeth any light or no charged cases.

2. 1,000 fps loads in the 44 Magnum are propelled by Unique powder about 8.5 to 9 grains worth. This has been ordained from on high, and to mess with this is to risk bad karma, as you found out.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Vendor Sponsor

LMAO Charles that's a GOOD one! hehe...

I got to where I weigh and trickle all my straight walled cartridges, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. It's not that difficult and it rules out any inconsistencies from the powder measure. This way I know if I am sighted in at X yards with a 300gr RF boolit, and I pick 6 of those loaded rounds to hunt with, there is zero question in my mind where my point of impact will be. There is also zero chance of having a squib get by me on the bench..

Also, the OP didn't mention seeing unburned powder in the case after he drove the boolit back into it, or seeing unburned powder all over the gun, so I'm like Robertbank, all that was in the case that could burn was a primer. If there was powder all over the place with no apparent explanation, i.e. walnut hull in there somewhere, then either the primer or powder is contaminated.

Well it has happened to us all at one time or another. When loading copious amounts of ammo for pistols cartridges on a progressive press it is easy enough to make a mistake. The minute you think you are immune to this malady will be the minute you do screw up. If you load enough rounds over a long enough period of time something may go wrong. Loading rifle cases one at a time is easy enough to check particularly if you are using a single stage press. Loading pistol cartridges in volume is a whole different kettle of fish where it is much easier to make a mistake even with this best of care.

Some presses are easier to screw up on than others. Dillon, RCBS and Hornady not so much. About 90% of all IDPA competitors use Dillon equipment for a reason.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    The OP says he checked for presence of powder by shaking every round and heard it. The same thing happened again.

What about case neck tension? Inadequate bullet pull combined with the WLP primer could have pushed the slug clear of the case before pressure rose enough to cleanly burn the powder. That would explain the sooted case.

Winchester large pistol primers are used for standard and magnum loads are they not? The ones we buy up here are. I have never seen Winchester large pistol primers marked as Magnum primers. The box says for "Standard and Magnum Pistol Loads". It doesn't sound like there was much if any powder in the case. I don't know what he heard when he shock the cartridge. I just shock two cartridges loaded with 2.8 gr of Titegroup and 5.1 Br of 231, in .40cal and the powder made no sound at all. He may have better hearing than I do but his must be pretty sensitive. There isn't much room in a 40 cal for the powder to move and shake. There is more room in the 44mag to be sure so I shock a couple of 44 mag rounds and heard nothing either.

Take Care

Bob

Finally got to pull the bullets on the 40 rounds that I had not shot.
    Looks like I screwed things up pretty good .
    I found 2 rounds that did not have powder.
    Will now need to reevaluate my loading procedures.
    This is highly embarrassing
    Darrell

What press are you using.

Anyone can get lost just takes a damn fool to stay lost. Learn from the experience and move on. You are not first to load a round with no powder and neither was I.

Take Care

Bob