Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullets in a 10mm auto

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Krumfola View Post
    Lots of great info so far, I really appreciate the responses. What powders do you guys find to work the best? I am pretty sure I'll have to try something new and it's looking like Longshot is one that a lot of people are using.
    Longshot gives you higher velocities at lower pressures
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Love Life
    There are a whole bunch of powders I'd like to try right now...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I'll add my $.02. I've been in this dilemma for about 3yrs, debating the merits and costs associated with 10mm. Pretty much I've decided if I can't improve on .45auto or .40s&w ballistics, then why bother. So for 10mm, that means for me, 200grs at 1100fps+. With standard published(non +p) load data in 45auto I can get 200gr boolit to about 1050fps. And in .40, 190gr boolit at 1000fps and possibly get 200gr up 1000fps.

As above, with proper boolit/powder selection, .45 is a viable choice and easier to shoot with less
    recoil and less cost. I have considered .45super as an alternative, just need brass and a few changes to one of my 1911's. Til then, the blackhawk in 45colt fills this role, easily, but I don't have to worry about getting eaten either. As of now, I think the "want" outweighs the "need" for a 10mm.
    Very well put.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I like Unique but I use it in virtually all my handgun loads. A 200 40 caliber at 1000 fps is a real penetrating round better I think than a 200 grain 45. I have and shoot both and while 10mm may have it's problems with brass availability at times I do still like it. My gun is chambered nicely without an oversize bore so a very moderate load reaches 1000 fps easily with no high pressures and light recoil. Works for me. Nothing against a 45 for sure but 10 mm is an excellent caliber.

Boolit Master
    One of the things I want to try is the 200gr 45 cal pushed hard on Hogs against my 200gr 10mm loads. In theory I think I'll get the same results but due to the sectional density and penetration differences I'm not sure. Plus finding a WFN 45 has been a challenge
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Buddy
    well I have a glock 20 gen4 10mm auto. I have 2 other glocks one in 9mm and one in 40 S&W. I also have 2 1911s and a variety of other handguns including a Ruger gp100.

Think about what you just read...I WILL NOT get rid of my 10mm. It has far more downrange power than any of my other guns with only the 357 coming even close. I think each of my guns has its purpose and each has its niche. If you have a niche use for the 10mm then go for it. I have fired Oreos 195 grain cast from my glock 20 with no issues. Its an excellent design MiHec Mold. Also remember most 'book load info' for the 10mm is really dummed down. I wont get into it...but loads from the 10mm at original specs are very impressive. If you want a 45 then get the 45...if you want an auto round that can do it all from big to small...then get the 10mm. I have heard it will take down a bear...I will not confirm such a thing because I have no intentions of confronting such an animal...just saying though. Lots of videos on youtube with guys hunting with the 10mm as well.

Whatever you decide good luck with it.

Boolit Master
    2015 if things go as planned my 10mm and I will be heading to Maine for a Black Bear Hunt!

Boolit Master
    I have had dreams of a 10mm following me home one day from a gun show or shop in my area. I have looked for three years and only ever found one. A glock. That wasnt happening. There is a show this weekend and I plan to put out feelers and get the word out I want one. Who knows maybe just maybe dreams do come true. :}

Love Life
    What's wrong with the Glock?

Boolit Mold
    I hope nothing is wrong with the Glock because I just traded for one. It should be here in a couple of days. Thanks for all the pros and cons of the 10mm as a do all round. I really didn't think my original questions would illicit so many opinions.

Now, anyone have a holster recommendation for OWB non-concealed carry?

Based on what I've read, I'm leaning toward a Serpa or possibly a Bladetech. I look forward to hearing what you guys are using. Pics would be appreciated.

Love Life
    I'd look at what Mernickle offers. Their holsters are absolutely fantastic and worth every penny.

Boolit Master

I have a G29 and G20 that I often carry. I use the Lee 175g TL bullet and I use the same bullet as a backup while hog hunting and as a self-defense round. Maybe it doesn't mushroom as much as some of the hollowpoints, but I figure that with a hole in the front and in the back, they're going to bleed out twice as fast.

The nice thing about the Glock 10mm handguns is that you can shoot .40SW rounds in it without even a barrel change since it headspaces on the extractor. Another thing that you can do is use .40SW brass and load it to 10mm lengths and pressure, so 10mm brass availability can be mitigated. I use the stock Glock barrel with cast bullets and have not had any leading problems. As far as I'm concerned, there is no logical reason to buy a .40SW Glock since the 10mm one can do everything the .40SW one can do AND MORE.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Blackhawk serpa holster...it works

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Getting a 200 gr bullet to 1,200 fps in the 10mm is very do-able .......
    My mountain carry load is a 205gr WFN at 1240fps, loaded with Long Shot powder in a Factory Glock barrel for 700 foot pounds at the muzzle.

My buddies give me a lot of grief about carrying my Glock in the mountains because "you had to have a 44 magnum with 300gr bullets"......6 rounds compared to 16, manageable recoil with very quick follow up shots compared to their ultra light 44 magnums that barely get first round hits...one day at the range we raced on a 7 yard target, I was picking up my brass before they had all 6 shots off....I'll take my Glock.

My concealed carry load is a 180gr Hydro-shock at just about 1400fps. I really love the 10mm cartridge but hate loosing brass so I bought a Lone Wolf 40 S&W barrel for my Glock 20 so I can shoot it on the cheap and not really worry about lost brass. No other changes other than the barrel, same mags, and recoil spring.

BladeTech paddle for Open carry and a Kholsters.com IWB for Concealed carry.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    the Glock 20 is such a sweet gun. Nothing wrong with them at all. But if you mention Glock around here the haters do seem to come full force. They wanna talk about other guns but if you like at Underwood ammo you will see that the Glock is actually just one of the preferred guns for the higher powered loading. You can go check out some of their expensive factory loaded stuff here. http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx Just take a look at some of the velocities they can reach with their ammo. These guys follow the original factory specs for loading the 10mm. It is truly an awesome round and I believe some of todays handgun hunters may bring this round back to the glory it deserves.

I have shot cast from mine with no issues. I do pay attention to my gun though. And I clean it well too. I normally wont shoot more than 50 rounds before inspecting and cleaning the barrel. If I ever get a LWD barrel for it this will become a non-issue. I traded a big cumbersome 44mag for my G20 and I think I came out ahead with the better gun.

Boolit Master
    Yup works good for hunting, this one is my Hunting, duty, off duty go everywhere do anything gun!

IMG_0127 by White Tiger Photographic, on Flickr

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post
    the Glock 20 is such a sweet gun. Nothing wrong with them at all. But if you mention Glock around here the haters do seem to come full force.
    If you appreciate fine engineering, then the Glock is an ugly gun. If you grew up with the M1911, you'll more than likely hate the Glock's trigger. But, they are dependable... I have 2 in 10mm and 1 in .45ACP. The G21 was such a good deal that I figured that I might just make it into a .460 Rowland one of these days just for the 'ell of it. I have more M1911s though.

Glocks are great for *concealed* carry since no one has to see that you actually carry a *Glock*. If we had open carry here in Texas, then you would want something that you would not be ashamed of someone seeing you carrying (i.e. a M1911).

Boolit Master
    Well didnt I open a can of worms. LOL My comment on glock and that not happening was I had a bad issue with a glock 27. Glock would not work with me and after a few phone calls as far as I could go up the chain I sold it. That was 1 year ago. Around last turkey day I got an email from another officer who bought it and they said my fear had come true, it kaboommmed on him with factory ammo. He is fine. But after that I said no more glocks. I still do have to have the G37 in 45 gap and to be honest love it. I just figured if there that stupid to not fully support the bullet in 40sw and 9mm there was no way I was going to chance a 10mm. I have not done alot of home work on this. From what I am reading you guys really like the G20s and put lead down the pipe to boot. I will give it another look. For the record I do not dislike glock. Loved the size of the 27 just didnt feel safe after looking at the brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Lol I did grow up with 1911s and glocks are ugly. But my glock triggers are way better than my 1911 triggers and only cost around 20 bucks each. My 1911 triggers suck in comparison. My 1911s are also finicky...my glocks not so much. glocks are user friendly in the gunsmith dept while 1911s are not...just saying. I love my 1911s though but for practical uses I grab one of my glocks.

I thought I was done shopping for guns, I thought I had everything I wanted so no need to buy any more guns or gun related stuff.... Thanks to all of you I now want a 10mm!! I have only handled 1 Glock but it was around 28 years ago and it felt like a brick but Im hoping they have gotten better since, I really wish Springfield would come out with a XD10mm! Oh well, now I need a 10mm

Doc