Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which ar upper build next? Not 5.56

Which ar upper build next? Not 5.56

I'm looking for a good, FUN, round to cast and load. I'm not TOO concerned about brass availability such as the 458. I'll go slow with it. I just want an adventure. I'll be taking my time to acquire higher quality stuff. I'm looking for opinions on the most fun round to load for an AR. Thanks to all who provide input!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Take a look at the 300 AAC. Brass is easy to make, shoots cast very well, quite accurate, low powder consumption and addictively fun.

I vote 45-70
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

If I could, I probably would with a 45-70. I'm looking at the brass for 300, interesting stuff. Didn't know you could trim it down!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My 300 blk has been getting all my attention for while now. It's easy to cast for and fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    9mm or 45acp with a lower that takes glock mags.

Banned

I vote 300 BLK

50 Beowulf--you aren't going to be able to build it because of parts availability, but you can buy an upper at Midway right now.

458 SOCOM---same as above, but you cant buy an upper right now either

450 Bushmaster---I have yet to see a report of success with cast in this caliber for some reason, so I have crossed it off my list for now.

I am not a fan of glock, but I DID think about pistol caliber. I think the 300 will be a very very fun round to work with, and I may go for a suppressor! It'll be a while tho before I get a can.
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

BTW, if anybody HAS had success with a 450 BM, please do tell. AR's are like ice cream to me. I like several different flavors.

Boolit Bub
    The 300 Blackout is fun to shoot, and 556 brass is so plentiful and mine shoots cast just fine, with a 16 or 17 grain load of powder you save money that way too.

Im currently looking at barrels for a 300 blackout. Thanks everyone! That was easy convincing!!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I guess I've got to be different! I'm currently working on a 6x45. I'm useing a Douglas double button rifled 1/12 twist barrel I'm recontouring for a 20" upper with a gas piston system and floating forend.

Boolit Master
    300 blackout can be a bit of work. Buy a good case trimmer to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    Im currently looking at barrels for a 300 blackout. Thanks everyone! That was easy convincing!!

Boolit Master
    This crowd like the 300 blackout if you can't tell already. I agree, and own 3 of them myself. The other fun ones are 50 Beowulf, and 6.5 Grendel. The grendel only has one boolit that has been reported to to do well and it is the seico 140 grain.Converting and fireforming 7.62x39 brass is not hard to do if you cannot find 6.5 brass for some reason. I do not have the mold myself, and do not have any load data to share on that one. Those are the three calibers I will keep around besides the 5.56...

Boolit Man
    +1 for 300 Blackout

shooting cast subs for 6 cents each and supers for 9 - 12 cents each depending in gas check or not.

Boolit Master
    I'm not a huge AR fan at all. I do have a couple....well...just because.. That said, My upper in 300blk is getting the most trigger time right now. Fun to play with, easyish to load for, cheap to load for and quiet. I only load subs for mine so casting is a no brainer. Heavy jacketed rounds are +-.35 each just for the bullets. With cast I'm looking at less than .10 per round. Nice thing is if you don't want to put a whole nuther upper together you can just change the barrel on an existing upper.

I did think about just a different barrel, but I figure an extra $100 or so isn't bad for a flat top upper. Problem is finding a pistol gas ported barrel with an adjustable block.
    Using Tapatalk

You would get major props if you pulled off the 45-70 build. I wonder what kind of angle the rounds would sit at to even get them in an ar mag. You would need something from the bolt to trip and release/eject upward one round prior to the bolt coming forward.

Joking aside a 9mm or 45acp would really be a hoot to shoot. Otherwise the 450 or 458 would be quite impressive dependant on which had better ballistics options.

I don't have anything against the blackout but if you have 223 & 7.62x39 already I wouldn't see the need. New builds aren't always about need though. I don't think any caliber would be a real bad choice
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    If I could, I probably would with a 45-70.
    Start with this firearm AT 14 .410 shotgun
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ar-15-shotgun/
    then convert to 45-70 - should be a cake walk.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."