Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New mould received damaged

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I'd be contacting Midway for this kind of issue.
    that's my 2¢
    When you return it to MW, be sure to insure it for twice it's value, and keep ALL the paper work. MW has been know to "we have no records of ever receiving it" I KNOW.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master

Looking at the top of blocks I agree that it looks like someone else's return and thus not new. I would pack it off to Midway also and with a note stating that you bought & paid for a NEW mold, not someone else's reject & return.

Lowe's and Home Depot are famous for doing that. Someone returns something and they don't even look at it, just put it back on the shelf for you to worry about. I bought a gallon bottle of CLR at Lowe's & when I got home & opened it the inner seal was broken. I poured some in a glass to look at it and it was nothing but water. Someone bought it, either poured it into something else or used it & then re-filled the bottle with water and returned it to the store for a refund meaning that I paid $20 for a gallon of water. I took it back and explained what happened, they gave me a refund but anyone wanna take bets that they put it back on the shelf?

That mold may or may not cast well but I would send it back just on principal.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Test the mould to see how good it will cast. If the mould easily produces concentric bullets with even bases, i would keep it. If mould is difficult to use i would send it back to Midway only.

If the mould was dropped after machining, you may have a raised area under sprue plate or between mould halves (this is not good)

Boolit Bub
    cbrick, detox, Very good points and thank you.

It is amazing the amount of people that responded to this thread with "get over it attitude, it is only cosmetic, etc". You would pay good money, expecting something good and receiving sub-standard. And that's OK with you? Amazing. We should not "settle". There is way to much of that going on already. I know this is only a bullet mould, but I will not settle for "good enough" and neither should you.

The mould went back to MIDWAY today. Wayne S, I used your advice.

Marc

Midway will treat you rite...sometimes. They process returns pretty quickly also. I once returned a Lee mould asking for exchange for another just like it, insted they gave me store credit to avoid shipping charges on their part. I would call and ask for replacement, insisting they pay shipping.

Lyman sent me a H&I sizing die with the fact cracked as it was dropped or something. Ordered from midway. Called lyman and they wanted me to jump through hoops to return the product saying that I'll ship it, it'll be inspected within 1-2 weeks, and shipped back. So about a month time.

Called midway, they apologized, told me to ship it, they would reemburse shipping, and have a new one in the mail by morning.

I no longer buy lyman products.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I hate to say it but if I pay for something new I expect it to be NEW. It shouldn't matter if its an $60k all the tricks Escalade (caddi suburban) or $15 clearence Lee mould.

I got home w/ a new in box rifle w/a bald spot in the bluing on top of the bbl .... it was on the shelf/rack and by package marks had been on hand a yr. I called the shop they confirmed it had been on hand a yr and on the rack for several months. At that point I'll live w/it and if you're looking for it its obvious. Whats the difference? Well theres good cause and its no fault, sort of,heck I may have been the guy that barked the blue. The mould had file marks on it that looks like cover up work , w/o good cause. Get it made right. (which you've done now). I wouldn't hold a demo car to the new standard.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

"I hate to say it but if I pay for something new I expect it to be NEW. It shouldn't matter if its an $60k all the tricks Escalade (caddi suburban) or $15 clearence Lee mould."

Just been car shopping. Caddy=$80,000; Suburban=$60,000.

Without dents.

Boolit Master
    You have choices. You order a product is should be delivered as advertised. You could keep it as is and recognize it is depreciated but you could be casting with it today. You could return it to Midway and if they have another in stock you could be casting pretty soon or if they don't have another you get a credit and no mould. You could deal with Lyman but that does not sound like a smart way to go.

Myself, if I wanted the mould, I would keep it and cast with it since I don't think I ever sold a mould. Would it gripe me a bit forever, no so much after a few years.

Tim

Boolit Master
    That's why I buy from Midway, its easy to return defective product. I don't like spending good money for damage goods.
    If it was a $20 Lee mold I probally would not hassle with a return.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Sorry Wally,
    I don't get out much,prolly why I drive dent and scratch trucks ,2 96's and a 99'.
    I bought my 46'' flat screen as a floor model too.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I used to drive the Suburbans. Have one now, but I'm reeling from sticker shock and will be down-sizing.

Considerably.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    That's totally the point. If they cast fine, what are you out? It's a mold, not a picasso. It's a little dent not anywhere near the cavities. If it affected casting I would send it back, otherwise get over it.
    Rough Crowd here Today
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cabin fever?

In Remembrance

I would send it back to Midway. You paid for new, the value is decreased with damage. But if they didn't have a replacement that could alter things.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Test the mould to see how good it will cast. If the mould easily produces concentric bullets with even bases, i would keep it. If mould is difficult to use i would send it back to Midway only.

If the mould was dropped after machining, you may have a raised area under sprue plate or between mould halves (this is not good)
    Plus one - misalignment is a possibility, as are raised dings.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    The way I would see this is, it is a tool, once I cast with it, it will likely not have appearance of new and unused. If it does the job it was designed to do, I would keep it and not have another thought about it. These molds aren't produced with "finish" for appearance...what it was just a rub mark or a scratch? How perfect do you want it? The one thing about just getting the thing exchanged now is that once you have used it, it might be harder to get the exchange done. Hope it ends well for you.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    ???

This is a 70-80 dollar brand new mold not a LEE. Some people may be willing to accept new in that condition but not me. That's why I don't buy LEE, I don't buy a new anything knowing that I am going to have to see how much time, effort & work I'll have to put into it to make it do what I paid for it to do. When I pay for something new, especially what is supposed to be top shelf I fully expect it to be both NEW and top shelf.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    We all have different standards. If I bought a new anything and it had a ding, I would send it back. Used, I look and if the price matches the condition, I have bought dinged stuff used.

Boolit Grand Master

Buy new, get new. If you wanted a used and damaged mold you could hit up evil bay. On a Lee Mold I might not care as much but on one that costs some money I would want it to be NIB
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum