Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dots on revolvers... need help.

Boolit Buddy

Red dots on revolvers... need help.

Hello,

I was wondering what everyone uses for red dots on there revolvers, or hand guns in general? I am getting my fiance a Ruger SP101 (4 inch barrel), and as she prefers red dots to to irons so I want to give it to her with a micro red dot on it. I am specifically looking for the under 3 ounce sites but am open to ideas or input. I have put a few red dots on .22 pistols but nothing on a revolver. i already talked to the smith and will have him drill and tap it when he gets it in.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not sure if your dot needs but I use an Ultra Dot on my 44 mag handgun
    works real well for that
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

Any idea how heavy it is?

Boolit Master
    I can't remember the name of them but I would look for the one molded into the grips.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy

I thought about the Crimson trace grips but there is a possibility she could hunt with it and you can hunt with a projected laser in WI. I'm think more like a micro reddot or reflex sight. Around the $100 mark if possible.

Boolit Master
    While I enjoy red dot sights on several handguns, I believe the SP-101 is a bit of a small frame to put a red dot on. I would re-think the Crimson Trace laser grips.
    I own C-mores, Ultra-Dots, FastFires & such. I own 4 SP-101's. Two of mine have Crimson Trace grips. None have a red dot.
    A holster for a SP with ANY red dot optic will have to be custom. You'll spend a lot more in the long run if you do go to a red dot.

Boolit Master

The Leupold deltapoint or the Burris Fastfire are what you're looking for. I had a deltapoint on my FA454. Held up just fine. It's a bit more than 100 bucks, but well worth it. No experience with the fastfire other than looking at them in the gunshops. Seem like well made pieces of gear. My browning buckmark has a Bushnell PRS-25 that I LOVE. It is a fantastic little red dot that only weighs a few ounces and is dead nuts reliable and tough. It's bigger than the reflex sights like the deltapoint, but it is a phenomenal value and is highly praised by the AR guys that like to clang and bang steel with their bullet hoses.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Banned

The gun does not have that much recoil so a little heads up will work fine.
    The red laser is a wash for hunting, you can't see it in daytime so you need an expensive green one.
    To use a red one on deer you need to run down and put a reflective target on the deer first.

Boolit Master
    The OP mentions the possibility of hunting with an SP-101. Now, the SP is a smaller framed gun. In 357 mag, it's a 5 shot. Even with a 4" bbl, I don't see many people using it for deer hunting. But, if it's a 4" bbl, I do believe it'll have to be a 22 LR caliber. But, I go back to my original thoughts, the SP isn't a really good frame to D&T to put a red dot on. smaller, (narrow) frame, limited space etc. Throw in the need for a holster to carry, and it'll be an expensive set-up. And think of the resale potential. Any D&Ted gun that wasn't a factory job decreases the value.
    Yes, I know many people say; "I'll never sell any gun." But what will your heirs do? NONE of us get out of life alive, and we are merely temporary owners of material things. I'd opt for different open sights & a laser that can easily be removed.
    JMO, and I hope it doesn't offend the OP.

Boolit Buddy
    I run Ultra dots on the slides of my 1911's. Never a failure.
    Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Buddy

Contender... no offense taken. It is the .357 version but will more than likely see about 98% .38 special target loads. I am buy in it for my fiance to use mainly as a range gun but she may use it while hunting but that's a long shot. Her carrying it in a holster/ccw is probably even less chance then feet hunting with it. It will spend the majority of its life shooting cans and paper at a farm. As far as drilled and tapped I am beyond worrying about resale value... as it will be a wedding present it will be having some custom engraving that will all but eliminate any resale value. Lol

Boolit Buddy

Those ultra dots look nice but I feel they would make it pretty top heavy?

Boolit Master

I am buy in it for my fiance to use mainly as a range gun but she may use it while hunting but that's a long shot. Her carrying it in a holster/ccw is probably even less chance then feet hunting with it. It will spend the majority of its life shooting cans and paper at a farm.
    Take a look at the Millett 1" tubed Red dot. Very compact,( about 4 oz.) reasonably priced and IMO a good value. I have been using one on my K38 for over 10 years now (many, many thousands of rounds). About 3 years ago while shooting Hunters pistol Silhouette the sight failed. I sent it to Millett for repair and they sent me a new one no charge and it's still going strong today. I realize the .38 spl has no monster recoil but I shoot at least 5k/yr out of that gun and move the adjustments when shooting silhouette so it gets used. It or the TRS 25 would be good on that pistol.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    I have a pre-Taurus Rossi M971 4" 357Mag that I have thought of doing the same thing with. What kind of mount are you going to use?

Boolit Buddy

I am hoping to just find a 2" or so chunk of picitanny rail that will work. I'm hoping my smith can help out with that part.

Boolit Grand Master

I lost the vision in my right (shooting) eye some few years ago. Using Red Dot sights, I made the transition to shooting right handed but left eyed in just a couple of range sessions.

I ran across this Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum. I took it to my pistolsmith (Jack Basham of Cincinnati (Blue Ash) Ohio). He rather thought I was "out of my mind" I suspect, but was glad to accommodate me. He installed a rail and the Bushnell Red Dot (1") has worked very well. The Sp101 rear sight is only adjustable for windage and I could NOT get this revolver zero'd. Using the Red Dot it was a piece of cake. I took an unusable revolver and made a VERY useful little field pistol out of it. I have used it only for range use, but it wouldn't be terribly hard to make a holster for it. I would opt for an across the shoulder chest pouch type holster.

FWIW
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 03-05-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Another option would be a Bushnell TRS-25.
    I have one on a S&W 686 w/4" barrel. It works great and runs about $100.00 (or less if you shop around)
    jmsj

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the ideas I have some more research to do. Glad to see people are having good luck with red dots on small revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas I have some more research to do. Glad to see people are having good luck with red dots on small revolvers.
    Not good luck with all red dots!
    As 44Man said above the internal red dot scope is hands down the best optic device available (ULTRA DOT). It costs a little more (I think), but that should tell you something! Mine are exceptional, nothing else comes close in comparison.
    Mount a good base, and try one! You'll be sold!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Trijicon rmr have been working well, they don't give them away but they are durable.