Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Model 94 torn down - need advice

Boolit Master

Model 94 torn down - need advice

Picked up a pre 64 model 94. Not bad shape but action is really dirty. Good news is the bore it bright and shiny, no pitting or any signs of corrosion. I was told the best way to clean is by soaking in Brownell's d'solve. Sounded great until I looked up the price. Just under $50 a gallon (which makes 5 gallons). If I were 30 instead of 68 I could see possibly using it in the future but that is not the case. Is there a cheaper alternative that is equally effective?

Boolit Master
    open action clean with carb. cleaner. then blow out with air. oil and use.

Boolit Master

A toothbrush and Hoppes #9 would probably do a good job. Apply the Hoppes and maybe let it soak a while before using the toothbrush.
    Rick

Try kerosene, or mix up some Ed's Red.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Second the Ed's Red, would lube with Ballistol so no more dried or gummy oil

Check with local mechanics to see who has an ultrasonic cleaner.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    If you simply Google "Winchester Model 94 disassembly" you'll find a ton of YouTube videos and PDF's on how to take your new jewel down to the very last screw. AND get it put together again. A simple hint - make sure you have screwdrivers that fit the screw-heads and punches that fit the pins or you'll end up with lots of scratches and buggered screws. Don't ask how I know.
    yooper

Boolit Master

Second on the carb cleaner.

Boolit Grand Master

I like Hornady's One Shot spray cleaner & dry lube. I generally avoid tearing down 94's but would do so very carefully for repairs. Have a friend that enjoys tearing down and working on all his 1873's, 1894's and 1892's but I haven't seen the need...yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I've been using common, inexpensive ($4/gal) kerosene (available @ Hess gas stations and/or hardware stores) for the past 40 years to clean my firearms, w/o any issues.

A plus, from using kero to flush/clean a firearm, is that after the exterior's wiped down with an oily rag as a finisher, the kero leaves an oily residue on internal aprts, in those hard-to-reach places.

Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I second, inexpensive ($4/gal) kerosene (available @ Hess gas stations and/or hardware stores) for the past 40 years to clean my firearms, w/o any issues.

A plus, from using kero to flush/clean a firearm, is that after the exterior's wiped down with an oily rag as a finisher, the kero leaves an oily residue on internal aprts, in those hard-to-reach places.

Win-win.

Boolit Master

Well I have it back together after a thorough cleaning with mineral spirits and hoppe's (what I had on hand). Cleaned up really well. The only part of the reassembly that was a chore was getting the screw for the cartridge gate started. My fingers or too big for the space. Other than that the job went without a hitch. The action works smoothly and feeds great. Now to slug the barrel. Now that it is back together I realize I should have slugged it while I had good access to both ends of the barrel. Once that is done I will be loading some cast for it and head to the range when the rain quits. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jay

Boolit Grand Master

Good Job! Looking forward to the range report.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Good to read you got the job done with no mishaps. I know a fellow doing the same and used something harsh as a cleaner and ruined his stocks original staining.