Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Swaged#4 buckshot in a AR

Boolit Master

Swaged#4 buckshot in a AR

Friend of mine wants to swage #4 buckshot and use it to load .223 for. AR, isn't buckshot kind of soft to shoot at say 2000 FPS?
    I'm thinking this is a bad idea in a AR but he wants to shoot cheap!

Okay update we talked him out of it advised to buy the proper mold/molds for it. Did direct him here, he does cast.
    Last edited by Tom-ADC; 02-23-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master
    No reason for him to go that route. If he already has the buckshot he has lead to make a proper gas checked boolit. The buckshot (round ball) load would be fine for plinking in a single shot, or bolt gun for a nice galery load, but the gas system in an AR has special considerations. Although, I have shot a bunch of 22lr out of an AR with a M261 without issue I just would not chance the buckshot without any coating.

Boolit Master
    Why would he want to? The only product would be smoke and noise, I can't imagine any real accuracy at all from such a setup.

AR's are just a fad, it will pass

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Maybe where your at, but down here there is no sign of a slowdown since the late 80's. Once someone hands you a rifle you can run 1000 rounds without cleaning running wet, and hot and still hold close to moa you get it. I wasn't a believer for most of my life. Now, I have them in several flavors, 5.56,300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 50 Beowulf to name a few. All are lighter than my traditional hunting rifles, or war rifles. Dont worry about my wood getting messed up in the woods while hunting too. I would move back up there if I could bring them with me, but I think I will stay down here a while and have some fun. Too much paperwork, and classes to keep them for a Canuk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    A fad if you mean the old buffalo rifles of the 1800s were a fad, or the Winchester 70 was a fad, or the Krag rifles every sportsman in the United States carried for much of the 20th century were all fads...

On Heaven's Range

Although he didn't mark his post as sarcasm, I'm sure Enfield meant it that way. It's the same as the blackpowder gang saying that smokeless powder is a "passing fad". The evidence to the contrary is SO massive and compelling that the statement is obviously made in jest.

Fifty-plus years and millions of rifles offer plain testimony to the fact that the AR pattern is indeed, just a passing fad....someday.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen