Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever ship a handgun UPS ground as "parts for repair"?

Anybody ever ship a handgun UPS ground as "parts for repair"?

I want to sent my BHP into Jim Garthwaite next month for a custom barrel and fitting, bit really don't want to get hosed on shipping. I'm not sending the original barrel, so I was thinking about partially stripping it and sending it as parts.
    do unto others................

Boolit Buddy

If you send the serial numbered frame, it's a firearm.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master

My understanding is do not use UPS. Go FedX. Much less likely to be stolen.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    ups and fedex both told me a handgun including just a serial numbered frame had to be sent second day air$$$$. It is basically a rip-off but I could find no alternative. Best of luck.

Boolit Grand Master

See what your guns store can do. I just paid $20 to send a revolver back to ruger.

Used to work for FedEx. It may have changed, but FedEx used to require firearms be shipped overnight, NOT 2-day. Yes, it is annoying, and expensive. For what it's worth, their stated reason is that statistically, they have fewer lost packages that are sent priority compared to the 2 or 3 day shipments. Overnight freight gets dibs on being loaded into the planes so it is more likely to get where it's going on time and not get lost in a corner somewhere. They don't want to be responsible for lost firearms.
    Browncoat

bhn22
    As said earlier, have your dealer Priority Mail it. It's much cheaper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Monttexan View Post
    Used to work for FedEx. It may have changed, but FedEx used to require firearms be shipped overnight, NOT 2-day. Yes, it is annoying, and expensive. For what it's worth, their stated reason is that statistically, they have fewer lost packages that are sent priority compared to the 2 or 3 day shipments. Overnight freight gets dibs on being loaded into the planes so it is more likely to get where it's going on time and not get lost in a corner somewhere. They don't want to be responsible for lost firearms.
    Am I to translate that they have fewer STOLEN packages by staff when it's overnighted? Or is that baseless?

Anyway yes, go through a dealer and save a good bit of money.

Boolit Master
    Dilly yes it is to prevent stolen firearms. They must be proud of their employees. Don't know how a dealer can ship cheaper since they must ship the same way.

Don't know how a dealer can ship cheaper since they must ship the same way.
    01FFL's can ship USPS, much cheaper.
    As previously stated, the frame is the firearm, regardless of whether any other parts are present.

Boolit Grand Master
    When you have to come up with inventive schemes to keep your own employees from stealing the item....Well.......... ? ?

Boolit Master
    A dealer can ship through the post office. Much better than paying fedx or ups to ship it yourself.

If you ship by UPS ground instead of next day air, you'll save 10 bucks. If your package is lost or damaged in shipment, you'll have a huge problem making an insurance claim.

Quote Originally Posted by pal82 View Post
    If your package is lost or damaged in shipment, you'll have a huge problem making an insurance claim.
    very true
    do unto others................

Boolit Grand Master
    why bother telling them the contents part's is part's
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    As said before ship through a local dealer. They can use the post office, and will help if something goes wrong
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

My FFL guy will ship pistols for a flat rate of $25. Call around to your local gunshops and gunsmiths to see what they charge.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    why bother telling them the contents part's is part's
    Because it is Federal Law and you are never going to get reimbursed if you mis-declare contents and something happens, insured or not.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Because it is Federal Law and you are never going to get reimbursed if you mis-declare contents and something happens, insured or not.
    Not to mention the attorney's fees to defend yourself and the 5 years in Federal prison when you are convicted. I just don't see the benefit to save $15 or so.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a friend who had his Ruger take a dump last Monday while we were shooting. He contacted Ruger - all was well on shipping it back etc. but he was told that it had to be shipped FedEx "overnight" - they sent him the shipping label etc. I'd see about shipping it through a dealer.

Trying to circumvent the system can backfire on you if for some reason the package "disappears". In my state, a firearm has to be reported stolen within a very short time period upon discovery of it being stolen (24 or 48 hrs?_). If your "circumvented" package comes up missing - well, it could end up more than being a major headache.

I have a friend who owns quite a large gun shop. He told me that they once sent out a handgun via Priority Mail (which at the time, they were allowed to do) and it came up missing during shipment. It finally got tracked down to Chicago where the postman, instead of doing his deliveries, stockpiled the mail in his apartment. They recovered the handgun but it was a major headache for them as the BATF got involved as well as Federal Postal Inspectors, etc.