RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: more opinions: IMR4320 for .223Rem

Boolit Master

more opinions: IMR4320 for .223Rem

any thoughts, Im just researching powders, I had not used this before, will be for 223 AR platform and it is available in kegs on powdervalley

Boolit Master

First let me say I have loaded a lot of 223 rounds and I have never used IMR4320, so what I say is pure conjecture. When I first read your post my thoughts were that 4320 would be too slow for 223 but to check myself I pulled out the 4th edition Hornady Handbook as it was handy. They list IMR4320 as the slowest powder in their data with 52 to 53 and 55 grain bullets just below my personal 223 favorite W748. Apparently they feel the 4320 would be an appropriate powder for these weights, and they do list it for heavier bullets as well. I'm sure you are aware of metering differences in the different powders and I wouldn't think 4320 would be among the "meters well" powders, but I don't know what you use to measure your powder and this may not matter depending on your set up. I know we are in a time that powder wise it may be a situation of what can I get, not what do I want. I will say that a friend has been getting good results with XBR8208 and H322 in 223, but as well, I don't know what bullet weights you will be shooting. The 4320 may work well for you but given the choice, if any, I would probably choose something else. There may be others chime in with great experience with the 4320, and if they do listen to them because again I haven't personally used it in this application.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

I don't shoot it in 223 so can't comment. As for metering it meters very well being such a short grained powder, I still use it in 308 and 35 whelen and will be trying it in 458.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    3rd gen had the power pro1200 which is listed as 223 powder

Boolit Master
    I will be using a Dillon powder measure on a 550b
    I have about 1000 55gr Hornady jacketed bullets

I have run a ladder test with the 68 grain HPBT Hornady bullets and I was fairly impressed. I got two very good groups and velocities were good. My top loads were besting 3000fps out of my 22 inch barrel. Best groups were around 1MOA with minimal brass preparation.

I have never used it with the lighter bullets, but it shoots well in a lot of other applications. 55 grain 22-250's at around 3700 and 75 grain 25-06 loads around 3700-3800fps.

It's a very underrated powder, IMO. I would actually rather use this stuff than Varget because of it's short grain size.

This powder really shines in .308 but it's a solid powder in heavier bullet .223 stuff.

EDIT to add: I would buy more, but I already have two jugs of this stuff on hand and already have too much powder in my house.

Boolit Master
    awesome!!! ^

9w1911 I forgot to mention I have also used it in my Garand before.

Also .358 win heavy cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I bought some woot woot!!

thanks!

Boolit Master
    RL15 and IMR4320 are very similar.

A friend uses it in his .25/06. With the 120gr Sierra BTHP "GameKing", with the Hodgdon's listed max load (43.0gr irrc), he gets 3-shot 1 hole groups. Velocity is a little slow (2,800fps) but it was a listed accuracy load he ran across back in the '80's when he bought his MkX Mauser and was looking for a good load. He's killed many deer with it. When I showed him that I was getting near ly identical performance from my .257Roberts, he asked me if I liked how my "Roberts" performed. I said the deer hate it !!! He smiled and said "why try to fix perfection" ???
    Indeed!
    (it is a bit "fast" burning for the .25/06. Slower powders give higher velocities, but none more accurate...)

I've never tried it in the .223. I use it all in my .338/06 as it's the perfect powder in that application. I got a bunch of it when a shop had a fire sale after some burglers set off the sprinklers and caused the tops of the cans to rust. Nothing wrong with the powders !!!

I guess I'll have to try it in the .223 with some 60gr Hornady's and 70gr Bergers. If it's as accurate as in the .25/06, I'll never tell !!! I'll just buy up all I can find !!!