Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: rem primers ??

Boolit Master

rem primers ??

i have been using fed 205m primers in my xp 100 6br. i have a few 100 but did just get 5000 rem 7 1/2 . have any of you shot the 7 1/2 very much and how are they ? will they be as goos as the fed 205m ?

Boolit Master
    I cannot tell any difference, frankly. There is some lore that says AR15 match rifles will slam fire with 205m but that never happened for me with either 205m or 71/2. I got a deal on the 71/2 and that is what I use now but I cannot say accuracy or velocity changed one iota.

What I'd like to know about rem primers is why are they worth 10 bucks more per 1000 at midway than the other primers they sell?

odis, when you find out, let me know. Ouch, I use Remington and CCI. Both work well and go bang every time. Not familiar with the Federal primers yet. I just filled in a hole with some GM (?) for my .223, but haven't shot them yet
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I use federal 205 match in my XP 100 in 7mm ihsma i normaly never use remington primers but in pratice ammo it has worked fine in handguns . i do use rem 7 1/2 BR in my 454 casull for full power loads because i picked up 2,000 20 years ago and thats what FA recommended to use .

Boolit Grand Master

I've used all the major brands and have never had an issue with any of them. Right now on my shelf I have Remington, Federal, CCI. I prefer the CCI because the packaging is compact and fits nicely on the shelf. The Federal primers come in big brick boxes due to their packaging design. No ignition issues with any in my past.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I've used all the major brands and have never had an issue with any of them. Right now on my shelf I have Remington, Federal, CCI. I prefer the CCI because the packaging is compact and fits nicely on the shelf. The Federal primers come in big brick boxes due to their packaging design. No ignition issues with any in my past.
    Federal boxes size suck and size of the trays inside the box also makes dumping the primers into priming tools a challenge to not spill a few. The smaller trays used by just about everyone else fit nicely over the tool. Also, Federal primers are hotter than some brands and so top end loads worked up with other brands might need to be backed off a grain or two.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDon View Post
    Federal boxes size suck and size of the trays inside the box also makes dumping the primers into priming tools a challenge to not spill a few. The smaller trays used by just about everyone else fit nicely over the tool. Also, Federal primers are hotter than some brands and so top end loads worked up with other brands might need to be backed off a grain or two.
    I end up dumping 50 at a time for this reason. It is aggravating. The CCI 100 pack fits in my flip tray perfectly.

Boolit Buddy
    I use winchester everything and their trays are great

bhn22
    Remington primers are fine. Remington sells them to distributors at a higher price than most other brands, so the final price to us is higher. Stay away from the #6s though, they are reported to have thinner cups, and be easier to pierce in rifles than the 7-1/2s. They should just call them "magnum pistol" primers and end any confusion. I still have a bunch of #6, and use them for 357 magnum.

Boolit Master
    I am using lupo 6br brass. i loades 10 rds to test last night. I had a hard time priming them on my dilion 550. fed 205m and cci sr prime easy. i measures the length of them. The rem 7 1/2 were .122 and the fed 205m were .118 . I do not think i will be loading my lupo 6br with the rem primers. I tride some rem 7 br brass and they fit real nice. I can see where some one could get miss fires with the rem because they do not seat them flush. I pushed 2-3 times on the rem in my 6br to get then close to flush. fed and cci seat easy. has any one found this ? can some one mike your fed 7 1/2 for length. I may have a bad batch. thankd Charles
    Last edited by 686; 02-21-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I will have to check! It sure sounds odd that there would be 66 thou difference in length. That is a huge amount!

Boolit Master
    i wrought down the wrong sizes. rem 7 1/2 were .122 and fed 205m were .118

I've used Remington 7 1/2 primers for years. Frankly, I've found they work as good or even better than most others. There's no "magic dust" out there. Every firearm especially rifles, shoot different with different loads. These days we have to sometimes take what we kind find though. I'll agree with the guys who say dumping a pack of Federals on a priming tray is a PAIN because of the way their packets are. They don't lay flat. As far as their performance, they're all good IMO.
    Last edited by 50/50; 02-21-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Mold
    i have loaded thousands of rem large rifle and large pistol primers. i bought 14 thousand of each 4 years ago when my local sporting store moved, cheaper to sell at clearence price that pack and move. nothing but great results..they do gank up in my rcbs hand primer tool more than cci or win but not enough to even be a neusance.
    they are great quality and have had no change ballistics wise.

I use Remington 7 1/2 primers with Lapua brass and Berger 82gr. bullets for my 600yd service rifle loads. These loads will hold the X-ring on the MR target.

Since no one has answered bout the primer depth on the Remington 7 1/2 yet I checked one of mine and it mikes at .123" according to my Mitutoyo micrometer.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I use Federal primers pretty much all the time. My primer tray takes there packaging fine as does the RCBS hand primer. While doing nothing to a given load except changing the primer brand can raise pressure drastically I have pretty much found that switching Federal primers to Remington primers caused no troubles with pressure or accuracy.