Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry's golden Boy .45

Just give him a chance to check his data. Maybe he just mis-remembered his data when he posted.

Sig, I agree with the others here. Don't exceed the max loads listed. There is no way of knowing what kind of pressure you may be at without real testing. Do you have flattened primers and flattened head stamps?

Generally over-loading where one thinks that the gun will stand up does not result in a blowup so much as action and chamber damage. Its more of a longer term thing. If one values the firearm then as stated by others, its best to back off. The 45 Colt is a prime candidate for this as some want to make a 45-70 out of it.

DP

Vendor Sponsor

Then there's always the chance of one of those hot dog rounds finding it's way into a pistol that may not be strong enough to handle the pressure then you got a KABOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Then there's always the chance of one of those hot dog rounds finding it's way into a pistol that may not be strong enough to handle the pressure then you got a KABOOM!
    Excellent observation. You only one set of fingers.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Henry's golden Boy .45

[QUOTE=robertbank;2630926]
    Last edited by sig .357; 02-17-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Henry's golden Boy .45

After reading
    Last edited by sig .357; 02-17-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned

sig i just wanted to say that you have an uncommonly good attitude, and will do just fine in this lifestyle.
    its a pleasure to help folks like you.

Henry's golden Boy .45

Thank you,
    Last edited by sig .357; 02-17-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Sig, I must also commend you on your uncommonly good attitude on this.

Bottom line is, no one here wants to see you are your loved ones hurt or killed from something like this. Let us know where you're at on it. Lots of good folk to learn from here. I stop in a few times a day, mostly just to listen. I've learned more here than any other site I've been to.

Keep at it, and don't be a stranger.

Henry's golden Boy .45

[QUOTE=junkpile;2631129]
    Last edited by sig .357; 02-17-2014 at 11:43 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I for one do not know the attraction of a super duper loading. I am old enuf not to enjoy recoil much anymore. I heal too slow and bruises last for weeks. I have all the recoil I can handle in my Winchester 1885 50-90 Sharps with black powder. That thing with a 695 gr creedmore cast boolit over 103 gr of BP kicks like an angry mule with PMS.

I do not imagine that a .45 Colt loaded in a 7 lb rifle would really have that much recoil but maybe I am wrong there. In either case please read what others have posted and get yourself a good loading manual and follow the recipies therein. It is not rocket science but you can really get hurt here or injure somebody else when you rifle comes apart. A chrony is an excellent idea but use some common sense.......
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

If that 12.7 written in the column is your load, you're over max for a 300 gr slug by that data. I'm not familiar with Silhouette, but many powders work in a normal range. If you drop below or above that range, you can end up with a pressure curve doing bad things, or inconsistent burn, etc.

But don't take that 13.8 max load for a 255gr and apply it to a 300 gr. Your max is 11.0 as listed, and nearing 30ksi.

Henry's golden Boy .45

Im breaking
    Last edited by sig .357; 02-17-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Henry's golden Boy .45

[QUOTE=opinion is Henry's rifles are very well built and satisfying to shoot.
    Jim
    Last edited by sig .357; 02-17-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

As Doug mentioned also. I really ahve a problem with how some laod the 45 Colt because there are a lot of guns out there that cannot take those loads. I have a Ruger pistol in that caliber and I admit I like the maximum Colt Peacemaker loads which are staarting loads for the Ruger as listed in my manuals. Newer manuals seem to be reluctant to lsit anything but peacemaker loads. My Speer manual states plainly that if you want 44 mag performance get a 44 mag. Not all that bad advice. I like the 45 Ruger because I do not like the recoil from the 44 mag full bore loading and the 45 has an amazing whallop for its printed ballistics. Some rifle laods are listed with slower burning powders that might give you the best of both worlds.

DP

Boolit Master

I was a die hard 44mag runner at full throttle. I have picked up my BH's cyclinder and base pin and have to put it back together after shooting some "hot"loads! Makes me sick thinking about it now.

I have the 44spec and it does it all at special velocity. I don't even run my 357mag hard anymore!

Anyways, my buddy got his Henry GB last week,in 45LC, and i have reloading for him and I am really impressed at the rifle and the caliber. No need to go up to Ruger Only Loads! If a Lee 300gr GC FN won't drop it, then grab the 454!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

[QUOTE=sig .357;2632202]
    Using Tapatalk

Ive been called a troll been made to feel stupid and a few even tried to help me and to those i appreciate it and to those who think everyone is stupid or at least i am, ive been reloading long enough to know better then to exceed the recommended load of each piece of brass my terminology and the way i said a few things made a few of you jump and treat me like an idiot and i regret that i didnt spend more time reading this forum before i jumped in posting or i would of known not to post anything without my actual log sheet in front of me, but with that said i will not be back ill lurk and thats it.... If it even matters this will be my first and last post.....peace out fellow reloaders be safe and keep those logs handy.....

Jim
    Using Tapatalk

"I can't help about the shape I'm in
    I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
    But don't ask me what I think of you
    I might not give the answer that you want me to"

OP has effectively deleted his threads. No need for further comment.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"