Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This forum got me inspired

Banned

You posted that you wanted to load "12ga slug" and thread drift is common.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gard,

Put it down to cabin fever. Almost no one read your post and understood it or jumped to conclusions. Most of the guys here shoot slugs and buckshot. #3 buck for squirrel seem a little weird?

Sometimes a pi$$ing contest is fun to watch - just stay upwind of it.

Anyway, get the MEC and you will be OK. If you have the funds,, the Sizemaster is nice as it sizes hulls but the MEC Jr is a decent tool.

Don Verna

Boolit Master

Is Tupelo honey really any good? I ask because Van Morrison thought so and I think he baited squirrels with it. Isn't he registered on this site as StratoCaster? Sorry, been a long day.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I have an old box of 12 gauge slugs right here on my desk. Allow me to tell you what it says right on the box
    Ahem:
    Use only in modern shotguns in good condition chambered for 2 3/4" shells or longer, choked: improved cylinder, or cylinder.
    Ahem , as you try to say !

I have a brand new box of Federal 16 gauge slugs and it says NOTHING on it about choke constriction .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Oh good grief !!!

Must there always be such arguments about such crazy stuff. I've deliberately tested two guns with chokes to failure years ago by firing harder and hard alloy full bore slugs through them with slugs that were more and more structurally tough (going from thin hollow skirt all the way up to solid lead cylinders with no relief grooves).

Split two choke tubes for the one gun (Russian gun with choke tubes that screwed on the end of the barrel with threads on the outside of the guns barrel not on the inside like american guns so could split choke tubes without harming actual guns barrel except risk of messing up choke threads from blowing off the choke tube) and peened out the choke on the swagged in choke on the other one.

Some slugs made from soft lead and easily structurally swagged down in diameter you can shoot a hundred of them through a full choke and it doesn't seem to do anything to the choke. Other slugs of much stronger structure and harder alloy, only takes one of them on the first shot will either split the choke or peen it out.

Just depends.

Boolit Master
    Slug?

Seriously, GARD, that 20 ga full choke single shot is of a design that has been around a long time and makes for an excellent hunting gun. The light weight is not bad considering it's a 20 ga and will best be used for shot anyway. It will do an excellent job using something like #6s- even with standard, less expensive "field loads".

Comparing the state of affairs of so many shortages of components and ammo like 22 rf with the seeming abundance of relatively inexpensive factory 20 ga ammo, I probably wouldn't bother loading for it. You'd have to shoot a whole bunch of shotshell ammo out of the single shot to break even. Plus, reloading shotshell ammo comparable to factory, is not always fall-off-the-log easy. The only reason to do it would be for the experience. Nothing wrong with that, just something to consider.

Get a box of 2 3/4" field loads, a large cardboard backer, some large pieces of paper. Put an aiming bull in the middle and shoot it at various ranges out to maybe 40 yards to see how it does. The pattern density will give you an idea of effective range. Shooting at the aiming bull will show "where" the guns shoots.

Loading slugs for a 12 ga is another topic.