RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Lube heater temp

Lube heater temp

Those of you that use a heater---what temperature are you using ( if measurable!)--I see some use a PID or other controllers ??

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on the lube used. I find my Star can also use a variety of temps depending on the air pressure used.

In short, there isn't a single right answer.

I do find that less heat, more pressure works better. Too much heat makes the lube soft enough to get everywhere.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Depends on the lube and the current ambient temp in your shop at the time .... as I use Ben's red for the most part , my heater says about 80 to 90 degrees at the moment .... it is winter in these parts .....great hand warmer also ...
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

Not to beat a deceased equine, but the type of lube you are using is the biggest part of the equation and you failed to mention that.

I use White Label Lube, Commercial 160....it is a harder lube and stays in the grooves better even during storage here in Texas during the summer temps of 100+. But it does require some heat for application. My homebuilt heater runs about 108-110 degrees depending on the ambient temp., but this is about right for this lube. I have also used Carnauba Red at this temp and it works fine, you just have to back off on the pressure a little. I have had very good results with both lubes.

You can get a inexpensive infrared thermometer on fleabay and monitor your temp pretty precisely.

You will just have to experiment to find the temp range that works for your lube and pressure combination.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    Handyman, Nice looking pup in your avatar !

I heat my luber with a hair drier. I just get the body slightly warm and im good for lots of boolits. Im in a 60'F room in the winter and summer its hot enough to cool it down with a fan and a cold beer. Some use a light bulb placed close to the sizer. A metal plate long enough for a iron to sit on it and transfer heat.
    Really depends on what lube you use and its melt temp as said above, harder needs more heat.
    I believe the lyman heating element is a 15watt pencil type @ 120v. You can find them on line and drill a hole in a plate to mount under your unit.
    Mike
    Last edited by myg30; 02-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.

myg30--His name is Freedom---born on 9/11 !!

I appreciate the info and it is my plan to install a temp sensor along with cartridge heater---I was looking for some sort of a starting point!!

HM77

NRA type 50/50 should be ok at room temperature of 70 without a heater in the Lyman 450. But my new 50/50 alox/bees wax lube from White Label Lube is too hard, needing a heater. So my guess is 90 degrees will work with most lubes. To high and they melt & run out of the Lyman. Chart from Midwayusa.

White Label Lube Temperatures

Room temp is 70 as a standard. Melt Temperatures- White Label lube http://www.lsstuff.com/frequently-asked-questions

Lube working temp melt temp

50/50 room temp 162F

BAC room temp 162F

2500 room temp 162F

Carnauba Red 100F 162F

Commercial 160 105-130F 165F

Commercial 190 130-155F 190F

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Room temp is 70 as a standard. Melt Temperatures- White Label lube http://www.lsstuff.com/frequently-asked-questions

Lube working temp melt temp

50/50 room temp 162F

BAC room temp 162F

2500 room temp 162F

Carnauba Red 100F 162F

Commercial 160 105-130F 165F

Commercial 190 130-155F 190F
    243winxb----this is the info I was looing for---thanx a heap----HM77