RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigars

Cigars

Could anyone here recommend a moderately priced decent cigar? I hate the ash taste some cigars seem to have, but have also had some cigars with a wonderful tobacco flavor without tasting like an ash tray. I had one with a label that said "gloria de cubana" I really enjoyed but cannot find another.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Banned

Give your cigar a firm whack to de-ash before each puff. Most of them have cheap filler that tastes like burning newspaper, which doesn't help. Get a Thompson Sampler and see if any of them strike your fancy, none are top-shelf but sometimes they don't have to be.

Better yet, just get a good briar pipe (Irish Seconds are good) and if you really love tobacco, get some Mac Baren's Latakia Blend or any of the quality English tobaccos. The flavored stuff that many smoke shops sell smells good but tastes terrible.

Don't forget to wash your palette once in a while with some quality single-malt Scotch.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like advice from a guy with experience.....
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Thanks... I am an ex smoker although cigars are not a problem for me... I will have to look again for Thompson cigars. I believe they made the one I really enjoyed
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

When I drink hard liquor though it is normally Jim beam black.... good stuff and I recommend it always

Boolit Grand Master

Rocky Patel Vintage 92 seconds from Cigars International. About $3.75 a stick delivered for Toros (6.5"x52 ring).

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...-vintage-2nds/

ETA: Thompson's always arrive dried out for me. I stopped ordering from them.

ETA2: They have La Gloria Cubana too. Not my favorites, but there is a key for every lock...

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/s...+Gloria+Cubana
    Last edited by imashooter2; 02-17-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I smoked cigars for 50 years and the man said no more. After 6 years I still miss them and have been known to follow a guy smoking one for a 1/2 block. I used Jr in North Carolina Take a look at a brand called La Finca they were my daily Cigar for 25 years . I was known to get some pretty good high priced Cigars from the my Sons during Christmas time and always considered them a treat . Give jr tobacco a call they have a real nice cigar catalog tks KEN

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Sounds like advice from a guy with experience.....
    I had class once before I got hooked on cigarettes. Finally quit those two or three years ago (funny, now I can't remember!) and was scared for a while to touch tobacco. A few months ago I dug out the pipes I hadn't smoked in nearly 20 years and found I can have a bowl of Latakia and a half-jigger of Ardbeg Uigeadail once a week or more seldom even and not have any nicotine flashbacks I've always been a light drinker if a drinker at all, so I enjoy an occasional Scotch or Hendrick's and Tonic just for the taste.

My wife says the Uigeadail and Latakia makes me smell like hot paving equipment, but I just love it.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 02-17-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Boolit Master

Anything with Arturo Fuente's name on it is a very good Cigar. La Finca Romeo is one of my favorites as well.

Banned

I miss Nevada member JohnnyFlake. Last activity a little over a year ago. His avatar was of him lighting a cigar. Always figured he was a "wise guy" and his interests, aside from gun related, included "cigars and pipes" and Texas Holdem. Will never forget that avatar, he looked like he loved lighting up a cigar. Here's to you JohnnyFlake.

Boolit Master
    I tried it all over a period of 30+ years; cigarettes for 26 of those. Been off cigarettes for 16 years now. I still have nightmares that I'm smoking again.

I'm not quite in Gear's class, but I'd be happy to join him for a couple four of five shots of The Macallan or Glenlivet 18 year old.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Man
    +1 on the MacAllen have found Victor Sinclair cabinet 99 to be a good smoke at reasonable cost, available at Thompson cigar, and i prefer the 18 year old scotch😊

I had a Don tomas cigar recently that lasted maybe 1 minute before I put it under the water spigot and threw it away

I will be sure to check out arto fuente in the near future... thanks for the input everyone

Boolit Master
    The cigars I have smoked for alot of years are the Marsh Wheeling Deluxe with dark wrapper. Nothing fancy but I like them. They are part of National Cigar now. I think they are a 32-34 ring and about 7 inches long. Never measured them. Am partial to long slim cigars. Go well with a single malt highland.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I had a Cuban in Afghanistan. I'm not sure what all the hype was, but it wasn't the greatest thing in the world. I had some other Swedish one or something and it was pretty good! That was a year and a half ago tho.
    Using Tapatalk

Me and the missus have bought a variety from Thompson with mixed, though generally good results. If you enjoyed the La Gloria De Cubana, I'd suggest Thompson's Donna Ines. I'd also suggest sticking to the medium "Robusto" size. Seems the larger cigars always go off by the end. Our favorite brandsother than Thompson smokes follows:

Partagas Black Label, CAO Criollo, Gurkha (any Gurkha has been good)

And we go for single malt scotch, or similar quality Tequila (we like Sauza or Republic)
    Browncoat

Boolit Grand Master

There may be better things than a good single malt and a good Cuban handrolled cigar but they're probably illegal. Come to think of it, Cubans are illegal, lol. I've only had one Cuban cigar but it made me want to lobby to lift that embargo. Not a big cigar smoker but this one made a beliver of me. Just wish I knew what it was....
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    If you liked Cubans check out the offerings from Nicaragua. Different soil which does affect things but it's the same genetics that were rescued by Cubans fleeing Cuba as Fidel took power.
    Here is the castboolits equivalent of the tobacco world, www.fairtradetobacco.com

Boolit Buddy

I am good for a least one pipe a day. My preferences lean to Savinelli for pipes and to 1Q, Frog Morton, Sea of Tranquility, Three Friars (though it is not up there with Three Nuns), and even an occasional Prince Albert for pipe tobacco's. I prefer smoking in peace with no TV, no people, just me and God.

As to cigars. That one is tough. I would suggest finding a good tobacconist and follow his recommendations. Sample many as I think we all have different likes and dislikes. A good shop will help you out. Be prepared to part with a few $$ during this process as good cigars do not come cheap.

Good thread! Oh, How about "Bushmills Black Bush 17"?