Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SR 4759 and IMR4759

Boolit Grand Master

I had about 4 pounds left of a 5 pound can and several months ago when powder was very hard to find Powder Valley got some 8 pounders in so I ordered one. Last week when I learned it was to be discontinued and powder Valley once again had 8 pounders I sat on it for several days and they were still in stock, couldn't take it anymore and yesterday I ordered another 8 pounder. Right after I placed the order I checked their stock again and the 8 pounders were listed as out of stock. I might have gotten the last one. Does that make me a hoarder? Maybe, so be it cause it is my most used powder and it's what feeds 5 or 6 different cartridges/guns for me. By the end of the year when it's gone and possibly forever I'll be good for some time.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Rick,

You must have got it just before I looked, cause it was out of stock.

I went to Graf and bought 16#.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Before I fire a single round of my new .45-70 reloads with 4759 it looks like I have to shop for a replacement. Crud, I wonder if Reloader 7 would do just as well?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

Reloader 7 works well with most cast boolit in a rifle. The data in Lymans Cast Manual makes a good case for RL 7

I have never used SR4759. I bought a pound today at my LGS

I came home and did what a good boy should when researching a new powder...came here.

It seemed way to good for lots of different applications.

I found an 8lb keg at Midsouth.

I grabbed one and they sold out less than an hour later.

So, I have 9 pounds and am looking forward to trying it out in several calibers.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

AGREED , RL -7 has been my go to powder since it came on the market for my cast boolits , seems like a long time ago. when ever I find some I buy it to keep my supply up for down the road.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Bub
    I hate to see this powder go. I use it for many rifles. It has never been the best for velocity, but for one powder to load for many cartridges, it is in my top 3. I have quite a bit of it left, and glad I got it when I did. Those 8 pounders should last quite a while.

Boolit Master

I wasn't able to find another 8 lb'er but did order 10 1 lb'ers from Brownell's this am. I really hate to see it go the way of the Dodo. The new purchase should give me about 20 lbs That should be enough to do me from here on out.
    At one with the gun.

Slug Master in Remembrance
    I just call it 4759 most of the time., and great for high speed shotgun slug work.
    Have used old and new, both work the same. Allows load research with more safety
    than faster shotgun powders. One of very few rifle powders that shotgun or rifle
    primers will ignite in large diameter cases, of 16-12-10-8 ga size. Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    I find very good accuracy and velocity for SR 4759 in 44 special! Less leading too, I think that is because it starts out with a gentler push then faster powders like Unique, not really sure why.. Then it gains 400 fps in carbines with superb accuracy.
    Do you mean 4756? 4759 would be a little to slow for pistol.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't get IMR SR4759 and can get Alliant Power Pro 300 MP this works great also, and measures better. It takes a couple of grains more in rifle cartridges like the 30-06 and my RSBH Hunter in 41 mag.