Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Live Trapping Racoons

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

Live Trapping Racoons

I need to occasionally live trap racoons at the barn. Live trap because of the barn cats. I usually use dry cat food because the racoons are eating the cats food that's already there. Sometimes I have to go to marshmallow fluff and grape jelly for a really smart one.

I have found my set is more productive if I include a small container of water next to the cat food. I use a disposable plastic container because the racoons tear up everything in the trap once caught. They seem to be less likely to steal the bait and stay right there which makes them more likely to trip it.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Live trapping them can be very productive, and we do a lot of it ourselves because of the cat issue. Sweet stuff on corn works well because it drops the cat catch rate by quite a bit. Another thing we do, but is more of a problem with cats is to use a can of tuna fish with holes punched in it rather than opened, since it can be used over and over again. But.... It also can be quite effective at luring skunks too, ask me how I know about that!!!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

I use sunflower seed,not messy and they seem to like it pretty good.

Boolit Master

In the past week I've caught two and have at least one more to go.

If you catch a cat either take them to be neutered or roll the trap down a hill with the cat inside. They will never go in a trap again either way.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

In Remembrance

Try pieces of fruit like grapes squashed or apple slices or pear pieces, something sweet. An exterminator at a closed auto plant live trapped using an open can of cat chow (stinky fish flavor) he caught some BIG critters in his cages.Robert

Boolit Master

I got a double last night two in the same trap. It was two young ones and they had been stealing the bait. The sticky Marsh-mellow Fluff worked, the can is wired to the cage and they have to stay there and work at it to get the sweet stuff.
    Blacksmith

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    For racoons - I've had good luck with tuna fish only I learned to wire the can in place. I have also used jelly rolls from the bakery - go figure - both the coons and woodchucks seem to like 'em. I have also put in watermelon rinds. Fortunately, I've never snagged a skunk but we have plenty of them around - as well as possums. Those pesky raccoons seem to have a taste for a variety of things - I finally learned to put a piece of 14 plywood over the trip - before that, some of them were big enough that they must get in the way of the door closing and are able to wiggle their way out backwards. After I started to put the plywood on the trip step of the trap, most of them get caught. Unfortunately, I don't have the heart to shoot them so I transplant to an area where they can't be pest. It's interesting to read what works for others - I'm always looking for new ideas to get the ones that are smarter than I am!

Boolit Master

I had one I couldn't catch so I put up a game cam and found he was to big for the trap I was using. I bought the largest Havaheart makes and it is now my go to trap because fewer get away. I didn't keep count but caught about 15 this year. When you relocate racoons make sure you take them far enough away I have read at least 5 to 8 miles or they will return. It is illegal to relocate in some states, worry about spread of disease so in this state it is either release on the same property or kill. Read the trapping laws to know what is legal.
    Blacksmith

Boolit Master

Coons also love Capt Jacks Mackerel,same effect as sardines but cheaper.I use little stainless steel bowels that Tractor Supply has in the dog food section.I drill a small hole in them for drainage and put my bait in them.
    I caught a coon last year in one of my hav a hearts that the coyotes tried to get out of the trap they had the poor thing nearly hairless and bleeding from where they had reached it with their paws and teeth.I had to repair the trap they had almost got the coon out and probably would have if I hadn't went to check on my trap.

My Dad here in KY owned and ran Racoon Recycling . Also trapped any other animals.Mostly baited with Peanut butter and shelled corn mixed and hung a piece of aluminum foil in the back of a trap .
    We trapped caged & wormed gave distemper shots , kept 30+days and sent them 100 at a time to Southern KY coal mine areas where the were hunted out years ago , now hes retired and the state wont allow transport because of disease .thats why we kept them so long & never had any with Rabies . we had at times 200+ in large pins .it was fun catching them by hand in the pins to load for transport I have the scars to prove it KyBill

Boolit Bub
    best coon bait ever--- 7/11 beaf and bean burito! man i'l tell ya no racoon can resist that!

Boolit Buddy
    I use cheap fish flavored cat food. Cheaper than tuna. I put half the can outside the trap, the other half in the can, in the trap. Works every time for me.

Boolit Master
    I occasionally use a live trap to get rid of nuisance raccoons. I once caught one using small chunks of pizza crust. Another time, I just set the trap but didn't bait it. a few days later a raccoon just walked in. Sometimes, I use dry cat food for bait, I have also used a piece of paper towel soaked in bacon grease. I haven't found a bait that's 100 effective yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A pro friend found that if you release them LESS then 25 miles from the catch site they WILL be back.

I found that placing an open construction trash bag under the trap allows you to safely cover the trap and they seem to go to sleep and can be handled with out a problem.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

In the live traps we used to use pieces of apple and take time about with tuna fish. Usually if one didn't get him / her the other did.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA