WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ya'll ain't going to believe this

Boolit Master

Ya'll ain't going to believe this

Went to a gun show on the 1st, while talking with two of the dealers I know a fellow came up carrying a '99 saddle gun from the 70's run in 250-3000. Asked what he was wanted & he said $200, offered him 175 & we settled on 180. Guess there are still good deals to be found. Best part it's a 1 in 10 twist, my EG is a 1 in 14, knew I bought the NOE 25cal mould in all 3 weights for a reason.

Now for the not so good part, could see it's missing the lever bushing & screw & the rear sight has a broken spring. The safety didn't work so pulled it down & found Bubba had been at work. Looks like they tried to tune the trigger at the wrong place. It's also missing the firing pin retract spring. Course if you don't know it's there it will get away from you. Numrich does have all the parts except the bushing screw so restoring it won't be much problem. Blueing is in the shape you would expect in light of the condition & wood has some nicks & dings but no cracks I could see. I'll know more when I strip it. All in all figure this is one of my best shows.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Banned

I have one of those that is quite nice, but in the limited shooting I've done with it, it's not real accurate compared to other 99s I have. Nice gun, good cartridge. When I work with it more I'm sure it'll do better.

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.

In Remembrance
    Dadgum, do you feel like a thief yet. I know a guy with a newer barrel on his, and it shoots 120 grainers very well.

Boolit Master

Good find!!! I was there early Sat but had the wife with me so didn't do any deals. I did see a guy walking around with a case containing a SS Dan Wesson .357 with three barrels for $900 I would have loved to look at but it was not to be.

Boolit Buddy
    A few years ago I "built" a 250-3000 with a full-length Mannlicher stock. A woman I knew saw it and wanted it for her farm. Two weeks later she wanted to return it because the LGS wouldn't order her any ammo - said she'd have to use 250 Savage, but she insisted on 250-3000.

I gave her back her money.

Nice find.

Boolit Master
    Not to too many things wrong with it. No doubt you did OK on this purchase.

Boolit Bub
    I had been looking for 250 savage brass for 2 years. Just wanted to pass along that cabelas had Remington brass (50 count bags) listed as in stock as of last night. I grabbed 10 bags (500 pieces). Should keep my great grandfathers model 99 takedown 250-3000 going a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by snaketail View Post
    a few years ago i "built" a 250-3000 with a full-length mannlicher stock. A woman i knew saw it and wanted it for her farm. Two weeks later she wanted to return it because the lgs wouldn't order her any ammo - said she'd have to use 250 savage, but she insisted on 250-3000.

I gave her back her money.

Nice find.

rotflmao !

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    So many of you men are so capable with arms and their repair. I am jealous of your abilities. Great find and what a great cartridge. I have a 1899 in 250-3000 with the faster twist. It does ok with the lighter boolits but not so good with the heavys.

can you make 250 savage brass from its parent cartridge , the 30-06?
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    can you make 250 savage brass from its parent cartridge , the 30-06?
    yes.
    i have the forming dies. it can be done without forming dies if you are creative.
    308 is easier.
    gotta watch the neck thickness tho. sometimes they get too thick and then reaming is necessary.
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Bub
    I believe your best bet for making 250 savage would be using 22-250 or 243. I had been looking for about 2 years for brass of the correct headstamp for my old 250.

Perma-Banned

That was a great deal. I would have jumped on that.

In Remembrance

I did have 5 boxes of 250 Sav. ammo, can't remember if I sold it. I'll have to look and see.

Nice find
    - but you forgot to get us pictures

Best forming is from 22-250 (who's parent is 250 savage)
    Always neck up when you can as it thins the brass, and if you fire form not extra steps just prime, powder, buffer and shoot to get the case you want.

- necking down requires you check for uniformity and possibly have to thin the brass as well.

Don't forget to anneal!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies guys. Did finally slug it this weekend, 0.2505/0.257, same as my eg. Finished cleaning the **** out of the inside, fixed the safety, & started on the wood. Forgot to say it's missing a piece on the left side of the stock at the bottom of the receiver, shouldn't be hard to fix as it's a clean break. And I know the trick with 22-250's, already have some loaded with the wrong kind of bullets, lol. S/N is A8133xx so guessing it is an early A model from the '70's, know they made them between '71 & '81. Now to hunt down the lever parts, can always take the bushing & screw out of my 99C .243 to get some trigger time with it.

Boolit Master

Found another one that has been in a fire $25. Already have the bushing screw out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    Went to a gun show on the 1st, while talking with two of the dealers I know a fellow came up carrying a '99 saddle gun from the 70's run in 250-3000. Asked what he was wanted & he said $200, offered him 175 & we settled on 180. Guess there are still good deals to be found. Best part it's a 1 in 10 twist, my EG is a 1 in 14, knew I bought the NOE 25cal mould in all 3 weights for a reason.

Now for the not so good part, could see it's missing the lever bushing & screw & the rear sight has a broken spring. The safety didn't work so pulled it down & found Bubba had been at work. Looks like they tried to tune the trigger at the wrong place. It's also missing the firing pin retract spring. Course if you don't know it's there it will get away from you. Numrich does have all the parts except the bushing screw so restoring it won't be much problem. Blueing is in the shape you would expect in light of the condition & wood has some nicks & dings but no cracks I could see. I'll know more when I strip it. All in all figure this is one of my best shows.
    Pics or it didnt happen!

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    Found another one that has been in a fire $25. Already have the bushing screw out.
    Was it salvageable or just gone?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Artful, not real sure what I'll be able to save yet. I did get the bushing screw out without to much trouble but that's bout it. It's one of the odd balls, .243 old style trigger/ sear & lever safety that's broken but in the off position. Also has a rotary mag but no window on left. I really have not spent to much time on it yet, been working on a 39a & a Savage NRA match rifle that's in a 23A stock I got last weekend at a local show. I do know Gun parts wants $26.15 for the screw so made out on that. While I was tapping on the bushing a primer fell out on the bench, kinda made me think twice about getting rough with it, lol.