RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which media seperator?

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS works great w/ SS pins and for about $35.00... Designed to fit inside a 5 gallon bucket.

Boolit Mold
    Since I use the harbor freight dual drum tumbler, I purchased a 10 dollar "salad spinner" at Walmart. I partially fill the bowl with water and then spin it. I also figured out if I spin then stop it quickly I can almost all the pins out before I give the brass a final rinse in the sink out in the shop.

I also use abrupt stops with my media separator and then reverse directions, this seems to get the pins out well. I have found rinsing the brass with cold water in a bucket not only keeps the brass from spotting but will help remove SS pins stuck to the case walls.

Banned

Lightbulb

This is green RCBS and it has a top so you want sling dirty water and stuff everywhere. I wash rcbs w/hot water after every use. Also, l rinse my brass w/scaulding hot water to cut soap and other stuff off. This city hot water does not spot.

Thats my homemade ss media bowl setting on top from dollar store.

DIRECTIONS: Things great! Hunt a 400 or 500 RPM used motor. Then amazingmagnets.com Midwayusa.com sells SS media. Plastic bowl from dollar store. Rinse w/hot water, dry on beach towel in spare room.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FpiTzVYP8
    Last edited by gunoil; 02-07-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
    One thing: put a magnet inside of a plastic bag, once the pins are retrieved you just turn the bag inside out to capture the pins without having to touch them.
    After receiving all of my equipment and operating the HF dual drum for the first time, I immediately learned that it is how the media is handled that makes the whole process either gratifying or a PITA. I can see where a small magnet could definitely come in handy from time to time. My initial theory was to use a fine screen and dump the dirty water, media and brass before rinsing, but, even the tiny screen allowed a few pieces of the media to fall through. I didn't lose any of the media but it was a PITA to gather. A small magnet would have solved that. As for the cleaning of the brass: the brass was not real dirty so for my initial recipe I used about 1/8 of a tsp of Dawn and 1/4 tsp of lemishine and tumbled for 1.5 hrs. The brass came out sparkling, there was no over-sudsing and the water was just a little murky. I'm using a SmartReloader SR405 media separator that I purchased off of Amazon. It took only 7 or 8 "slow" rotations in rinse water to get all the media separated from the brass. I didn't even need to close the top of the separator. Everything considered I think this first session was very successful. The brass is absolutely beautiful and what I really like is the fact that the casings get cleaned just as nicely on the inside and in the primer pockets. If I were just starting out, I would definitely go with wet tumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    The brass is absolutely beautiful and what I really like is the fact that the casings get cleaned just as nicely on the inside and in the primer pockets. If I were just starting out, I would definitely go with wet tumbling.
    I've been sold on wet tumbling for about a year and a half. The results are stunning, and the process becomes very efficient after you get it down pat.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Bub
    I've had a Dillon separator for years, and the catch tub, on the bottom half, cracked. I called Dillon to buy another one and they sent me one for free. So even something as simple as that was covered under their warranty, which they quickly filled.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Dillon.
    What Love Life said. Without question. Tried Frankford, RCBS and other budget solutions. Large Dillon separator is the cat's meow.

Boolit Mold
    For walnut and/or corn cob media I use Dillon
    For SS media I use F arsenal

Boolit Master
    Separating steel pins from the brass by tumbling with the small Dillon CM500 just became a lot less messy for me. I took a Sterilite 56 quart bin from Home Depot ($8) and cut out the bottom along the line about one inch in from the sides. Put a couple of notches for the hinge pins and did a little judicious trimming and problem solved. The bin fits perfectly along the top of the Dillon tub, the water stays inside. The lid still fits on the top of the tub, or you can leave it off depending on how fast you spin the handle. I don't know why Dillon doesn't offer a lid. Take your empty Dillon tub to Home Depot and do a trial fit. If the idea seems workable, then spend the $8. Rod