WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primitive archery?

Boolit Master
    I started shooting archery sixty years ago when I was five years old. My father made his own recurves when I was that age and did so for many years before he and I started using compounds in the mid seventies. It would take him about 40 hours total to make one bow. They were laminated recurves using a laminated wood core backed with fiberglass. We shot tournament archery for many years and I won the state championships and the mid atlantic championship with home made recurves. I also shot my first nineteen deer with those recurves. We always made our own arrows. First out of Port Orford cedar, then microflights, then aluminum, and today we use carbons. My dad shot his last deer with the bow when he was 84 years old. He's 90 now and doesn't hunt anymore. Between he and I we've shot over 150 deer with the bow. We hunted several states over the years and put a lot of time into it. It's still my favorite form of hunting.

Boolit Bub
    I have really been wanting to get it lately. Looking for a bow.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    Nice, love it. Got my girls 8-7 Easton recurves this Christmas.
    I was not expecting to find this thread here, very cool. Found a mag last year 'Primitive Archery' fell in love with all thing wood. Bows, stock, furniture. Want to learn flint knapping, arrow making, flax gathering etc. teach the kids, learn 'em to track and hunt.
    I have my eyes on a Samick Sage, hell yeah. More time in the bush to hunt, not just rifle season now!!!
    I have a Samick Sage. I love it. If the weather would cooperate I'd shoot it a lot more. It's a lot of bow for the price. I like the fact that the limbs are interchangeable and inexpensive. Once I get good with my 35# limbs I'll upgrade to 50# and use it for hunting. I cannot recommend it highly enough for anyone wanting to get started in traditional archery.

Boolit Buddy
    Dorado
    thanks for that, I found them one day listening to a you tube video (i have to find it again) with a guy that shows how to make bows, arrow shafts and heads. I could not sleep for 3 days just, watching vids, then got a couple books, etc. That guy recommended them and I looked them up , great value, I like that idea of changing the limbs, and for transport can be put into a smaller package than standard bows.

When the girls get bigger I'll get the one of those too.

side note, they are Korean Made as I was told, ok, As long as it's not from China,
    My wife is Korean so I am trying to also instill a little pride in the girls regarding their heritage so I don;t have any trouble with any Korean Made items, some of the toughest fighters I met where the ROK Marines, holy crud. I would not want to fight against any of them.

thanks

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    Dorado
    thanks for that, I found them one day listening to a you tube video (i have to find it again) with a guy that shows how to make bows, arrow shafts and heads. I could not sleep for 3 days just, watching vids, then got a couple books, etc. That guy recommended them and I looked them up , great value, I like that idea of changing the limbs, and for transport can be put into a smaller package than standard bows.

When the girls get bigger I'll get the one of those too.

side note, they are Korean Made as I was told, ok, As long as it's not from China,
    My wife is Korean so I am trying to also instill a little pride in the girls regarding their heritage so I don;t have any trouble with any Korean Made items, some of the toughest fighters I met where the ROK Marines, holy crud. I would not want to fight against any of them.

thanks
    They may be Korean but the quality is surprisingly good. I got mine from 3 Rivers in a kit. Came with Bow, Case, shelf material, quiver, arm guard, tab, and bow stringer. For the girls they make lighter weight bows in the 15 - 20# range. 3 Rivers doesn't carry them but they're easy to find.
    I would definitely get a bow stringer regardless of what bow you get but especially for recurves. They are very sensitive to limb twist and the easiest way to both string and prevent limb twist is by using a bow stringer.
    Do you have experience with bows? If not start light 30-35#, large learning curve and form practice, then move up to heavier limbs. If you've used compounds before I'd start at least 10# lighter than the draw weight of your compound. It's a lot harder to get good with traditional but I think its worth it.

Oh, you might want to get the DVD Masters of the Barebow III. It is a lot of help in learning as you can see what the instructors are talking about and the instructors are all world champion archers. It'll help you and your girls.

Boolit Buddy
    3 rivers is the only place I've done any business with so far, it's been 35 years since I pulled on a string. I use an old fiber glass re-curve Dad had since he was 10-12, and tore up a bunch of head good broad heads, I did not sit for 2 days, never went in the old mans 'room' again till i was 14, 15, he was pissed.

I don't mind them being Korean made, Glad in a way (if not US made then....) Bow stringer, no experience but I can learn anything I want to , if I just ry hard enough.
    Mostly it's for the girls but it would be nice to do as a family and not me just coaching, but doing it with them side by side, like when my father took me to shoot bb guns around when I was 8-10 the 22lrs. We had wood back behind the house sorta near Mathews NC, so if the sun was up ,we where out side, not kids today---tv- video games- phones---sad.

take care

Boolit Man
    Well, good luck with everything. Hope you and your girls enjoy it. It's good to get kids out of the house for some good fun.

Boolit Master

my first one in october 1970 @ age 17
    Attachment 96475
    a rarity in these parts then and i had to write an article about it for "The Dixie Sportsman"

this past october
    Attachment 96476

my biggest hog ever, 300 lbs in 2012@ 15 yds off the ground with my recurve
    Attachment 96477

a snack pig from last month
    Attachment 96478

Ammo shortage? It grow on trees here!
    Attachment 96481

I hunt with the original "suppressed" weapon too
    Attachment 96480
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 02-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Man
    when I was a kid, I used a bow on rabbits and squirrels. Blunt heads, when they hit a rabbit in the head, knock him for a real loop!

Boolit Master
    I used to (35 years ago) hunt bunnies with a 25 lb. recurve, in an area in SoCal called Conejo Valley (Conejo - Spanish for rabbit).

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone going to Denton Hill (E.T.A.R)? I'll be there Thursday -Friday if ya'll might wanna shoot cardiac hill with me.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jsheyn View Post
    Anyone going to Denton Hill (E.T.A.R)? I'll be there Thursday -Friday if ya'll might wanna shoot cardiac hill with me.
    my gun smith goes to that most years. it's about an hour from us.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by grampa243 View Post
    my gun smith goes to that most years. it's about an hour from us.
    Maybe you should tag along with your smithy ......if by chance you decide you can go and need a loaner bow let me know your draw lenth

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing, fellows.
    I am very interested in the primitive only and have gotten vols 1-4 of the TRADITIONAL BOWYER'S BIBLE-Jim Hamm and other bow and arrow makers and authors.
    I am intending to cut some staves and start shaping my first.
    If they finally outlaw all lead use, and I'm still around, then the primitive archery will suffice for my interests.
    Again thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

and for some reason I thought I was the only one.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Both Mrs Fred & I have sticks with a string.
    For my birthday this year I got a broadhead target, endless fun
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    Can't exactly call it primitive since it is laminated glass but I made it and am real proud of the "Pac a Whallop" The only thing I didn't make was the Skookum quiver, nocks and broadheads.

I make my own wooden arrows too.

USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Next to handguns, my greatest joy comes from stick bows... Of course those aren't what we in the trad community call primitive...as in self bows, self- knocked arrows, etc... After 27 years shooting stick bows I am still amazed when that colored nock shows up exactly where I was staring!!