Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 1 oz slug buldging in Hull

Lee 1 oz slug buldging in Hull

So I am still new to casting and 12g loading. Finally got some lee 1oz slugs made up and wanted to make some dummy rounds to see how they load.

I am using data from Hodgdon site below (Rem STS hulls)
    Lead Slugs 12 1 oz. Lee Precision HS-6 Win. 209 WAA12SL 36 10,200 PSI 1450
    (same info as on the sheet that came with the mold)

When I seat the wad and slug (30 psi on sizemaster) I am getting a huge buldge in the hull, not allowing it to chamber.

My cast slugs are around .690 diameter and I am using Claybuster CB1100-12 ( which says same as WAA12SL on the bag)

What Am I doing wrong? I even tried loading a live round, thinking the powder might make a difference, but still same buldge.

Boolit Mold
    Where is the location of the bulge? At the slug, at the crimp, at the bottom of the wad?
    Currently using HughesNet satellite. If I don't come back, you'll know the satellite exploded.

right about in the middle of the slug where its seated in the wad

Boolit Mold
    Cut a petal off of a wad and measure to see if it has a taper to it towards the bottom, if it does you might have to use some card wads below the slug to raise it up a bit, and clear the taper. It'll take some playing with to get everything right.
    Currently using HughesNet satellite. If I don't come back, you'll know the satellite exploded.

Boolit Master
    Two things I would look for. First, how thick are the petals on your wads? The thinnest I can find are AA white wads, which are .050 petal thickness. Add a .690 slug to that, and you are at .740, which is pretty fat. Also some of the aftermarket clone wads have ribs inside the petals of the shotcups. If yours do, this makes them unsuitable for the Lee slugs, as the diameter will be way too big. The Winchester wads are smooth inside. Many reloaders stay away from the clones and stick with the true Winchester wads for this reason.
    Secondly, .690 for your slug is a little on the large side for most shotcups. Are you using pure lead? My Lee drops at about .682, and I made push through sizers of different diameters to reduce the size even more if needed for experimenting.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 02-04-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I load a ton of these, thousands,, what type of hull are you using? I've been thinking about posting pics of how I do it. I do buck a lot too.. The main thing I've noticed was the wad, you have to get the right one that doesn't taper, I cut the wad fingers for the buck and punch thin cardboard disks for both, this really helps getting a nice crimp. I shoot them out of my benelli semi-auto. I use 700x, sr7625, green and red dot powders all 209 primers.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Bub

I've loaded a couple hundred of the Lee 1oz slugs using the exact same components you're using including the Claybuster 1100-12 wads without any problems. However, my Remington STS hulls and Claybuster wads are old, probably from the early 90's. Maybe the internals of the Claybuster wad petals have changed since I bought mine? I did just measure one of the slugs and the largest diameter I could find was .682.
    Last edited by TCStehle; 02-04-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Boolit Master

For me, it tells me that I'm more than likely crushing the wad to the point that its bulging. To solve this problem, I only use Federal FS3's for both the Lee 1 oz slugs and the Lyman 535 grain slugs. Just food for thought.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    Two things I would look for. First, how thick are the petals on your wads? The thinnest I can find are AA white wads, which are .050 petal thickness. Add a .690 slug to that, and you are at .740, which is pretty fat. Also some of the aftermarket clone wads have ribs inside the petals of the shotcups. If yours do, this makes them unsuitable for the Lee slugs, as the diameter will be way too big. The Winchester wads are smooth inside. Many reloaders stay away from the clones and stick with the true Winchester wads for this reason.
    Secondly, .690 for your slug is a little on the large side for most shotcups. Are you using pure lead? My Lee drops at about .682, and I made push through sizers of different diameters to reduce the size even more if needed for experimenting.

The pedal thickness is about .34 (each side)
    I noticed the bottom of my slugs taper down to about .674, but the middle before it starts to taper up to the point is about .690 avg. Should there be that much difference?

I am using pure lead tested at 5.0BHN
    Last edited by jimmyUT; 02-04-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Here is a pic of the buldge and the widest spot on the slug

Boolit Master

federal hulls....

Boolit Bub

The "skirts" of the Lee slugs are suppose to taper down. I'm only guessing, but that might have been in an attempt to address the taper of the wad petals increasing at the bottom of the wad cup.
    Last edited by TCStehle; 02-04-2014 at 11:20 PM.

So I just tried again this time with Win AA HS grey hulls. Seats fine no bulge. Unfortunately I cant find load data for the HS hulls and lee slugs with this wad, so i will have to pick up some of the WAA12 and WAA12f114 wads to see if those work with the AA hulls and dont buldge

Or maybe I should get a new slug mold as .690 seems too big

Boolit Master

You need one or two 20 ga 1/8" hard cards under slug in wad cup, use 1oz load data.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe your seating them too hard? I put the wad in without the slug, pull from the press about 50 at a time, push the slugs in by hand, place a cut cardboard (I punch them myself) then I have a socket that fits tight-ish and give a tap with a rubber mallet then put them back I to the press for crimping.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 1oz fed wads and load with data for 1oz loads, I usually end up right at the book, I always start lower by a couple grs then work up until it moves the action then crony them (for new recipes)
    Hope for change.

So its ok to use 1oz shot data for a 1oz slug?

Boolit Master

generally accepted practice, yes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyUT View Post
    So its ok to use 1oz shot data for a 1oz slug?
    I do but start a little lower and work your way up,, if you kill yourself it's not my fault because I'm an idiot

But that's what I do and haven't killed myself or broke a gun yet. For the lee cast OO buck I load 9 at 1-1/8 oz load data with 1-1/8 wad cut petals to base of wad...... I use cardboard overload disks on both for purdy crimp, I'm gonna mess with roll crimping in the next week or so just for fun, fold crimp have worked flawlessly so far.
    Hope for change.

Quote Originally Posted by lka View Post
    I do but start a little lower and work your way up,, if you kill yourself it's not my fault because I'm an idiot

But that's what I do and haven't killed myself or broke a gun yet. For the lee cast OO buck I load 9 at 1-1/8 oz load data with 1-1/8 wad cut petals to base of wad...... I use cardboard overload disks on both for purdy crimp, I'm gonna mess with roll crimping in the next week or so just for fun, fold crimp have worked flawlessly so far.
    What wads do you use for the buck?