MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubrisizers

OOPS!!! 454PB. Didn't see your post, and just about duplicated it. Sorry,
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    By the way, I understand RCBS can no longer supply those little ratchet wrenches for the LAM I; I have 3 or 4 of them that I acquired from another source if anyone needs one, $5 shipped.
    I'll take one of those wrenches, Scrounger. $5.00 mo to be mailed.

Rusty

Boolit Master

I guess Ignorance is bliss as to comparing as I just got a USED 450 that the owner said did thousands of bullets and I think it is great. I too figured out about putting the nut on the die to keep it straight. While the sizing dies that lee makes work fine I think this had got them beat for ease of use and seating gas checks. Though I will not throw away my lee dies they may find use too down the line if needed. Some one said you could make a heating element out of a old iron how do you do that info please.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    I guess Ignorance is bliss as to comparing as I just got a USED 450 that the owner said did thousands of bullets and I think it is great. I too figured out about putting the nut on the die to keep it straight. While the sizing dies that lee makes work fine I think this had got them beat for ease of use and seating gas checks. Though I will not throw away my lee dies they may find use too down the line if needed. Some one said you could make a heating element out of a old iron how do you do that info please.
    I think you will find a thread by Morgan Astorbilt in the special projects section. Long story short, make up a steel or aluminum plate that the press can bolt to, and lay a common household iron on it. Iron heats plate, plate heats luber. You may have to fiddle with spacing the iron up off the plate to regulate the heat. Morgans article is much more informative.

Boolit Man
    Tawildcatt: Your making me feel bad. How can anyone break a lyman. Well I did it yesterday. It was a new style 450. Been using lyman since 1970 with no problem till yesterday. Been using this one for probably 5 years. Had 5 others also. Have 2 left one broke one isn't. Sizing 400 grain 45 from .457 to.452 A hardness of bhn 8, For paper patching. I done probably 100 bullets and the screw from the handle which is about quarter of an inch sheared off. Now I don't fault Lyman as it was never intended to do what I was doing. I did oil the bullets. I did call Lyman for a replacement part kit. shipped for $24 and some change. I don't plan on breaking any more lyman lubrisizers but I got out a Lee .451 and found a 30 inch pipe for leverage and started sizing on one of my presses. Of course with oiled bullets. Seem to work just fine. I've used Lyman lubrisizers for 37 years and I think they are just fine. Also think RCBS is fine too. Don't know anything about the other brands. ben1025

Boolit Man
    454PB: I think you are right about the nut being the part most likely to cause problems. As I said I been using a lyman for 37 years and up to yesterday never had a problem. I realized right off the nut could be a problem. I use a hair drier to soften the lube and always start the nut by hand. Like you I always put the nut on the die first. Never understood why Lyman put such fine treads on that nut.

Boolit Mold
    I Would Contact Lyman. I Had Issue With Them A Few Years Ago, They Resolved It With Out Problems Or Delay. Beside What Have You Got To Lose.

--------------

Boolit Man
    Papabear: I talked to the old gal at Lyman. 1/2 irish and 1/2 italian. She sounds about as old as me. Didn't ask about warranty. Seeing I'm italian and my wife is irish sounded alright to her. Breaking the sizer was my fault. Surprised the thing held up as long as it did. It was easier to work then the Lee. Didn't need a pipe for leverage. I sort of think if I asked she would of shipped the parts under warranty. The parts kit comes with new linkage, handle, and bolts. I'll have a near new sizer. I won't be trying to size .0005 again with such a big bullet. I have 3 paper patch moulds. I should of stuck with them. ben1025 AKA ben.

Boolit Master

Recently picked up used Lyman 450 with slightly different problem - ram is off-center to sizing die cavity by signicant amount, probably .015" to .020".

I have my own machine shop so I could set it up on line bore it and make new ram, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be covered by Lyman, even if I'm not original owner.

Anyone else have this type of problem? What was result?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Recently picked up used Lyman 450 with slightly different problem - ram is off-center to sizing die cavity by signicant amount, probably .015" to .020".

I have my own machine shop so I could set it up on line bore it and make new ram, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be covered by Lyman, even if I'm not original owner.
    If it was an RCBS I'd say yes, but Lyman is not as good to deal with. It's sure worth a try!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

454PB: Yeah, I'll probably wait 'til after the holidays and give them a call.

I read on another thread about a fix for a press with a loose ram, but mine isn't loose, it's definitely bored off-center. I also read that the newer Lyman 45XXs had slightly smaller sizing die cavities and I don't want to buy new sizing dies, so even if Lyman would replace it with a new one I'm not sure that would be a good deal.

It looks like there's enough meat around the ram to enlarge the hole slightly to shift center far enough so that a new larger diameter ram could be used, or maybe sleeve the hole with a cast iron or bronze liner and reuse the original ram.

If Lyman blows me off I may try this just for the heck of it.

Anybody out there have any advice/experience trying something like this?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    By the way, I understand RCBS can no longer supply those little ratchet wrenches for the LAM I;
    These can be found at www.mytoolstore.com/chapman/chaccess.html

And that's just where I bought them. But shipping kills you if you buy just one.