Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dillon dies?

Dillon dies?

My question is.....

if you have a dillon powder through expansion die that drops the powder and bells the case mouth is the dillon powder check die and alarm able to except the belled case without sizing it down so that during the seating operation at the bullet feed die the bullet will still fall into a belled case mouth.

The "why" part.... I am having dies made from existing dies that are available to fit my old camdex and want to use the dillon powder measure and bell die in place of the old system as well as have a powder check that is more reliable than the current system in place. I just want to make sure that the two dies , both dillon, will do what I want...ie...powder drop and bell @ station 4 then @ station 5 have the powder check not goof up the bell and check powder with station 6 placing the bullet next station 7 seat and crimp and @ 8 drop bullet.

Thanks in advance,

TES
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master

The Dillon Powder check is a rod with a foot that communicates with a switch above the die. There is no direct contact with the case unless the foot touches the case rim. If the rod falls further than the set point (adjustable for each loaded case volume) the alarm is activated for the low/empty case. If the rod fails to fall far enough, the alarm is activated for the over charged case.

Look up the parts list on the Dillon website. There is a schematic of the device. Ingenious solution but it takes a spot on the turret.

I am not familiar with the press you have described. I need 3 positions for seating, taper crimp, then roll crimp after the powder station for some of my cartridges so I do not use the powder check on my Dillon XL650 in those applications (limited to 5 stations). Also, I have heard of dies that seat and crimp together but do not have such a die.
    Last edited by DRNurse1; 01-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Moderator Emeritus
    The two dies will work fine as was mentioned. What are you going to do when/if the alarm is activated? The Camdex machine cycles pretty quickly.

You could set up the powder checker die so that it senses continuity or lack of to automate some procedure.

I can wire the alarm to the cycle circuit and have it shut down. Gonna do the same to the primer alarm.

ADMIN

depending on the powder you are using you might have some false alarms with the powder checker.

Yea I'll mark the case for removal after a run and check it. If its good I'll shoot it not sell it.