RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Swaging .308 for long distance shooting.

Boolit Master

Swaging .308 for long distance shooting.

I am enjoying my retirement by expanding my hobby into long distance shooting from pistols and reloading. Any long distance reloaders and shooters swaging .308's? I have researched the various sites and read hundreds of reloading threads. However I am curious about any one swaging their own jacked bullets and would like to call upon their experiences and advise they would like to share. I have seen BT's .308 dies and accessories and have read all the responses to his products, as well as have dies being made for my .458 SOCOM.

Regards,

Bill

Boolit Master

Blaster62 will most likely chime in. He is my mentor and the one responsible for my wallet now several thousand dollars lighter.

Any how, he's swaging 308 bullets with Corbin's equipment. They are some real gems.

Bottom line, yes 1000 yards is easily achievable with commercial jackets. Spent brass, maybe, but I doubt it. To many variables and imperfections. Not saying It can't be done, but it would be difficult to say the least.

If he doesn't chime in, send him a PM. He's pretty helpful.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Lizard,

PM sent.
    THanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master

I've got the equipment (Corbin), but haven't made any yet.

I don't shoot to 1000, but will be using bullets I make at 100, 200 and maybe 300 in competition.

And, yes, they are better than commercial mass produced bullets. Just remember, we're talking commercial jackets here, not once fired brass.

The used brass jackets are OK, but they aren't at that level.

Boolit Master

Nickle,
    Thanks, I am aware of the using of commercial jackets , BT and I have discussed the use of them for accuracy. Corbin (RCE) has commercial jackets, 1.36" that should go beyond the 200 gr hpbt like SMK's, because I have checked the 190 smk"s I have and they come in at 1.365" with a digital caliper. But is the $1500+ cost worth the dies from BT, or another $400 for a rock hill press and more $$$$$ for Corbin Dies. I wish I could use Corbin dies on a rock chucker or a lee classic cast or one of those beefed up reddings that Deitch(sp) in North PA. sells. But that the way it goes. Some one has a set laying around an old loading bench. $1500 can buy a lot of SMK's and other match grade projectiles.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Why not use cast? They can work well even at long range. I am having lots of fun shooting a 308 Win using an NEI 200gn DD boolit out to some very long ranges. Nothing formal as I am not much of a formal shooter but I am giving some feathered chicken thieves some serious trouble out to 1000 lazered yards.
    The NEI 200 DD has a BC of about 370 so carries up well. I am shooting 20gn of Alliant Steel for a very consistent 2000 fps. It will require a tapered base to get enough elevation but other than that no difference.
    I do swage 30 cal with Corbin M dies and have nearly 20,000 commercial jackets on hand but I enjoy shooting cast at long range much more that shooting high power jacketed bullets.
    To each his own so they say but that is my take on it. You may too if you try.

Boolit Buddy
    Or paper patch.

Vendor Sponsor

I'll be working on some very soon.

I have a couple options for my dies,

6.5 s ogive and/or 9.75s ogive both tangent ogives
    9 degree boat tail
    Sierra and RCE jackets

All ready got the gun set up for it with a 300WM CBI 28" bull barrel with match chamber on a savage action, PT&G bolt face, good stock, light trigger, Sightron 8-32x50 scope all set up at 19lbs if I remember the weight correct. Haven't shot it yet but soon!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/