Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2

Thread: Sooo bored....

Banned

Sooo bored....

I wonder if the angle to the FP is enough for reliable feeding.... or if the FP is too big.

Boolit Master
    A little fatter nose, and I'd have to have one. Probably great as is for .308 or '06.

Boolit Buddy
    Some questions - I do not know enought to answer. Hope those who do will post.

_ Would a flat point round nose be better that the truncated cone for feeding and accuracy; given the flat point is same diameter?

_ If the truncated cone is used, would rounding the edge at the flat smooth the edge enought to improve feeding?

Thanks, Bob

Banned

tempting now?

Boolit Master
    Just trying to make everyone happy now are we? I could use the sharp edged version, but this looks fine. The .305" nose is treading on too fat, especially if Lee cuts it oversize like the 311291, (which worked out great for me).

Banned

well ya should have been more specific! lol

I'm just playing with my drafting program, that's all.

Boolit Master

looks good??

Ya looks good... either one... as if I had Newton's IQ and intuition

One question. I see the angle cut on the leading edge of the front lube groove. Is that for a crimp or are you planning on adding a crimp groove? If that's a crimp groove seems like the bevel angle should be on the rear part of the groove. If no crimp groove then maybe lengthen that front bearing band to allow for more seating depth lee way?? Who knows.... not me

cool drafting program!

Cast Boolits Owner

So who is going to make it?

Is this going to be a NEI or Lee deal? The chosen manufaturer could make or break a good design idea if you know what I mean...
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    If you are going to crimp, just barely turn the brass in over the lube. Make sure you have a tight fitting boolit within the resized case neck. An 0.050 at max opening front lube groove would be plenty big enough to operate as a lube groove and crimp groove. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop bob View Post
    _ If the truncated cone is used, would rounding the edge at the flat smooth the edge enought to improve feeding.
    Blammer, I had no idea how much the melplate would be reduced. The R.053 cuts the flat surface from .218 to .116. Does this matter? I do like the results.
    _ Can the melplate be increased by decreasing the 11 degree angle and still have a trim boolit? [as opposed to a flying ashcan]
    _ By the way, what is the weight?

Banned

The angle on the leading edge of the front lube groove is changeable, it just came out that way because it's a different angle. It had to be because the diameter it was attached to is different than the others. IE that angle is attatched to .305 not .312 like the rest. I was not planning on a crimping groove.

The meplat shown is the TRUE flat part of the meplat. I don't know if the meplat technically included some of the rounded dia leading up to it or not. I have no expertise in that area. I could increase the meplat and reduce the radius and change the angle. I'll have a look at some angle comparisons next. I'll put up another just for grins.

I tried to make the lube grooves in this one bigger than the standard 311284 and square, and a bit deeper. I have no experience with the original 311284 but it just looks to me like you need more lube....

If I decide to do any GB for any mould it will be NEI.

Banned

Here are some more with changes.

Right were the case ends would be where the crimp groove would be.
    This is a 30-06 case

Last edited by Blammer; 12-20-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Banned

notice the nose body is shortened to .3 instead of .36, but the overall lenght of the nose is longer by .005 from .575 to .580. There is an obviously longer angle lead to the nose.

Meplat is bigger, radius is smaller angle is about a degree different although the other pic doesn't show the angle it's around 10 or 11 %.

I guess wt would be around 210 or so...

I just put a crimp goove in the middle of the upper band because that is where MY boolit would be seated for my gun.

except I'd put a .301 nose on it to make that work....

Banned

Heck I could put a crimp groove JUST past the top lube groove too...

Boolit Master

unique by design!

I still like the idea of playing around with bullet schematics!! Kinda like an engineering think tank.

I think the front proportions of the bullet look good. Could go truncated cone with meplat, gradual ogive with meplat or even round nose??? Smoothness of feed is so much a function of the gun itself it's hard to predict first.... then design a bullet without trying it. Most of the time as long as the nose below the meplat gets into the breech then the rest will work. I've seen in my guns.... as the cartridges get shorter - say going from 32-40 in a Win 94 down to 44-40 in a Win 92 the greater the chance of gittery feeding. Just an angle thing as the cartridge leaves the mag and gets pushed up into the breech of the chamber. Cartridges such as the 06 that are long, sleek with the sloping shoulder usually feed very smoothly if everything else with the gun is in order.

Another question.... Is the nose parallel section at .305 your bore diameter or just a hair over as in bore riding nose? Good idea! Then if your gun's throat diameter is same as its groove diameter you'll have the two best shots at minimum leading and better accuracy.

Banned

The parallel nose section I have at .303 is no where near my bore dia, I just made it fatter per dubba123's comments.

If I were going to do it for MY rifle I'd use a .301 nose section as the lands in my rifle are .3015 and the .302 nose I have on my cast boolits engraves ever so slightly as to be perfect.

What would be interesting is have the "parallel" nose section at .305 by the lube groove and taper to .300, then start the truncone angle to the "rounded edge" flat point nose.

unfortunately I think that may be a TALL order for a boolit maker...

Well, Blammer,
    You could make the nose parallel at .301 and put one of Melander's DD bands at the start of the T/C angle at about a .305 diameter to still guide the nose straight but let it engrave more easily(check NEI's catalog). It'd also work in a fairly wide range of barrel dimensions...
    I think I'm starting to smell group buy interest on here....
    Rick

Banned

hmm, I see that now in NEI's catalogue.... interesting...

Boolit Master
    Can you design the cavity so it casts a little smiley face on the meplat? If so, I' on board for this group buy.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banned

Workin on it!