Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mold for 32ga shotgun

Longbow, sorry for my stupid, but could you explain what is the difference in smoothbore and rifled?
    As I said before - English is not my first language, and there are much words, I don`t know!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rifled bore.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	63365

Rifled barrel ^^^^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoothbore.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	63367

Smoothbore ^^^^

Boolit Grand Master

Yes! What he said!

A rifled barrel is "rifled" just like a... rifle.

Shotgun barrels are generally smoothbore when designed to shoot shotshells whether birdshot of buckshot but many modern shotguns designed for slug shooting have rifled barrels and are designed to shoot slugs specifically, and for the most part rifling twists are set to suit sabot slugs. This tends to apply primarily to 20 ga. and 12 ga. I am not sure that there are rifled barrels commonly offered in other gauges.

So, it the barrel is smooth (no rifling) you need a drag stabilized slug like the Lyman sabot slug, Foster hollow base slug, Brenneke, etc. or a round ball.

If the barrel has a choke then the slug also has to be able to squeeze down to fit through the choke which a solid slug or ball won't do (or not likely).

Longbow

Super Moderator

............I'm using the Mag-Tech 32ga brass shotgun shells to make cases for a 11x42R Brazilian Comblain. These brass cases are made in Brazil. The cases are 2.44" (62,1mm) long, the casemouth is .535" (13,6mm) ID. They now use large pistol Boxer type primers. They used to use a really terrible Berdan type primer that would pierce with most any load at all.

I convert these to use the standard 209 shotgun primer. The paper strip is there as the case is a bit too small in OD, so the paper allows them to expand evenly. Once fired they're fine to use, and the paper is removed (in case you were wondering about the paper ).

.............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-08-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thank you for posting!
    I have one rifled barrel in 32 gauge and few smoothbore.
    For the moment I have brass hulls. I will bought a digital calliper, which measures in inches, than I will give you all the dimensions in inches!

Ok guys, new tool at home, I mean digital calliper, so I will give you some dimensions of what I own! Accuracy of calliper 0.0005``, in my opinion this will be good enough for the shotgun.
    Lets look at first picture, from left to right, the same for the third picture(shown to make the visualization for primers):
    1. Brass hull, brand new, maded in USSR in 1988. Lenght 69.37mm or 2.731in. Diameter 13.49mm or 0.531in. Uses strange primer, but have these about 1000 left in stock.
    2. Brass hull, brand new, maded in USSR in 1988. Lenght 69.37mm or 2.731in. Diameter 13.49mm or 0.531in. Uses strange primer which you can see in picture.
    3.;4. Brass bull, used for some shoots, but in the picture you can see, that I have remaded them to use normal shotgun primer. Lenght 69.37mm or 2.731in. Diameter 13.49mm or 0.531in.
    5. Plastic hull, brand new, produced by Fiochhi. It is for 32ga shotgun, but the diameter is 14.39mm or0.5665in.
    P.S. All my guns in the metalic box. If from left, than #4, #6, #7 is 32ga shotguns. One is not included in picture. #4 is rifled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09032013517.jpg   09032013519.jpg   04032013514.jpg  

Hello, again!
    Few days ago I found my machine shop worker, who helped me before, but I lost the contacts of him.
    So again I am back in 32ga shooting.
    I decided to make Lyman sabot style bullet for my shotgun in 32ga. For the moment I am colecting information about material, from wich produce the mold. In my opinion, if using alloy for mold and steel for pin, nothing good will happen, because off difference in metal temperatures of heating. Once I ordered a Lee 6 cavity mold blank and ordered milling and machining and making bullets I got only bullets, for use in melter again.
    Because there are plenty very clever and expierienced guys in this forum, I would appriciate any help and opinion about process of choosing materials, constructions etc.
    P.S. I will not use this bullet in sabot.
    Thank you!

I think you need to contact another forum member who goes under the forum name of "z375". He has already scaled up the Lyman air-gun pellet shaped slug to be a full bore diameter size in the 12ga. His experience and knowledge from that project (and possibly machinist to do the job info) should be helpful to you with your very similar project where your scaling it down to 32ga. full bore-size instead. Only difference being he scaled it up and you want to scale it down.

Here is a link to his thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ot-slug-mold!!

Boolit Buddy
    You can use Brass for the Mold, and Steel Pins for alignment. The pins muct have a Round nose on them to avoid peening around the mating Hole. Brass is easier to machine than Steel, and the Chips are easy to deal with. Then of course if won't rust either. I'm also guesiing the Lyman .54 Minie ball mold could work and be sized down.
    Good Luck.
    Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Gentelmens, thank you for opinion, and, please, do not hesistate to tell more.

Bad news - in my place nobody can help me with mold making, because they have not tools necesary for milling.
    So I need your help - if there is anybody here, who can make a Lyman Sabot style slug mold by dimensions, which I will give, let me know! I need only one or two molds, prefere double cavity.
    Thank you