Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh Gawd, what have I done now?

Boolit Master
    My BCs bore is .456" groove diameter, I don't remember the bore diameter, but I use almost exclusively range scrap, which while harder than pure lead, is just barely harder and I can still scratch it with a fingernail. My Lee 450gr FNPB casts at .461", and I lube with LLA and drive them about 1350-1400fps, which is enough for anything I need with this gun, but have driven them to a bit over 2K fps (won't give the load but the powder was 3031, and no pressure signs whatsoever) and no leading, so I wouldn't eliminate the "soft" alloys without giving them a chance first.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Just loaded some of the Lee 405HB with 25 grs of 5744. My alloy is 50/50 WW Pb sized .459.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    My BCs bore is .456" groove diameter, I don't remember the bore diameter, but I use almost exclusively range scrap, .
    I shoulda ask for groove dia, which you gave me, my bad on the terminology.
    I got ~2500 pounds of range scrap (~8bhn) this makes me happy
    Last edited by Jim Flinchbaugh; 01-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    You have no idea how happy it made me too! I have quite a bit of WW, and a couple other alloys, but I have far more range scrap than anything else, so tend to use it where I can, while saving the harder alloys for where they are truly needed. For example, I use more .357 Mag and .45 (both ACP and Colt) than anything else, and a lot of the .357 and .45 Colt goes through rifles, and the soft range scrap is no handicap at all, and my levergun loads for these guns tend to vary between 1400-1850fps, and I get no leading at all. Just make sure the bullet fits the throat, as it will swage down to fit the bore when you give it that swift kick in the rear, and also that your lube is good, and I bet you will be fine. My BC shoots great, but just doesn't get used as much anymore as it should since I started hunting hogs with a .22LR or a .54 flintlock, but I need to remedy that, and soon.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    BTW< my range lead water dropped jumps right up to 15 bhn, no fuss no muss

I got the Lee 405 hollow base mold coming as well as a set of dies. Brass is proving to be a challenge.
    I found some local (private feller) but it is nickel plated.
    I got lots of 5744, SR4759, Unique, 2400 & Varget, loads shown for them all

BOOM!

Jim, I will be in Kalispell tues afternoon and wednesday this next week, my wife is having a medical proceedure at the surgical center. I've got exactly 9 once fired .45/70 Remington cases I'll donate to your project if you're interested. Not a big score but say the word and they're yours.
    kootne

Boolit Master
    Be aware that the Buffalo CLassic is a relatively light rifle for the .45-70. The action will accommodate loads for the Ruger #1 and Siamese Mauser; your shoulder, not so much. Also, H&R installed front sights that are too tall on a bunch of these rifles, simply because they had them on hand. If you have trouble zeroing your rifle, that's probably why. They also have very short throats, and are best suited to bullets lighter than 500 grains, unless you ream the throat a bit longer. The 1:20" twist barrel makes using extremely heavy-for-caliber bullets problematic, as well.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    They also have very short throats, and are best suited to bullets lighter than 500 grains, unless you ream the throat a bit longer. The 1:20" twist barrel makes using extremely heavy-for-caliber bullets problematic, as well.
    Hmmm, I've jsut the opposite with the throats being very generous

kootne, PM sent

My throat wouldn't take over a 350gr bullet as delivered. I rented the gbo throating reamer and took her out about 1/4". In other calibers like .357 and 44, the throats do tend to be longer. I throated my 22" and the BC at the same time.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Jim,
    I recommend you contact Mike Whyte (Springfield) for a leather butt cuff. You'll value the workmanship and enjoy the rifle more once it stops hurting you.
    They are pretty guns tho, aren't they.

Boolit Master
    Met up with Mr Kootne last evening.
    Not only did he donate some brass, he brought a sample baggie of boolits to try as well
    The folks on this forum are unbelievable.
    Thank you sir

Boolit Master
    Yippie! I found new brass!!!!!
    Of all places, Amazon.com has new Remington nickel plated for $55/50.
    I ordered 1 bag, cause I really wanted brass brass.
    They say they have 12 bags left if anyone wants some

there was 15 last night when I found it

Boolit Master
    Hmm, I was back in Cabelas today, the little rolling block I mentioned in the OP
    has magically jumped from 399 to $499. the thing is appreciating sittin' in the rack at the store!
    dirtbags

Boolit Master

BC buttstock covers

Can be made with padding inside. Bullet loops optional. 45.00 for basic cover. www.whyteleatherworks.com

Attachment 93995

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Can be made with padding inside. Bullet loops optional. 45.00 for basic cover. www.whyteleatherworks.com

Attachment 93995
    PM Sent Mark

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Yippie! I found new brass!!!!!
    Of all places, Amazon.com has new Remington nickel plated for $55/50.
    I ordered 1 bag, cause I really wanted brass brass.
    They say they have 12 bags left if anyone wants some

there was 15 last night when I found it
    I picked up a H&R Trapdoor last year and decided that since I have a 1895 Marlin in 45-70 it would be prudent to load nickled cases for the trapdoor to preclude shooting HOT 45-70 loads in the trapdoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Hmm, I was back in Cabelas today, the little rolling block I mentioned in the OP
    has magically jumped from 399 to $499. the thing is appreciating sittin' in the rack at the store!
    dirtbags
    If one had the money to buy it, it would be FUN to confront the sleeze-bags with the original price cash in hand. I'm afraid "dirtbags" is being far too generous to them.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Bub
    I want one of those for my buffalo classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post

Attachment 93995

I definitely book marked that!

Boolit Master
    I cut my butt flush and put on a small front to fit. That 1/2 moon brass plate looks like junk and was nasty. If your down in Cody you can have all the LEE 450s you can cast

Boolit Master
    Mold is here and I cast a pile with it
    My new Remington brass showed up yesterday, only it said Starline on the keester end.
    I need to count them now to make sure of the quantity.
    10 more days & I can bring the Buff home