Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knowledge Level "0" Need in Need of Information

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, a cookie cutter in a cake of lube will work fine for pistol boolits.

I just read your post #11, did you order a .357" diameter sizing die? A minimum .358" would be better, cast boolits aren't like jacketed and you'll want/need .001"-.002" over groove diameter and if a revolver you'll need to size to the throats.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Yeah I haven't ordered it yet but I did size my revolvers the other day one came out at .356 and the other at .357 so I will change that sizing die out to a .358 I just haven't been able to find a Lee that size yet just about everything is on back order so I've been collecting lead and reading as much as I can get my hands on in the mean time.

Boolit Buddy
    also you dont waste lube pan lubing
    as you remelt everything thats left over after you cut the cake
    its suprising how little lube the boolits take and how much you remelt

So I have another newbie question I sorted all my wheel weights got the zinc out and began melting them down in my cast iron pot I started slow on the temperature just in case anything slipped by in the sorting skimmed all the steel and crud off then fluxed twice with sawdust but when I was pouring my ingots I noticed there was still crud in the mix also when I put the pot back on the burner it went almost immediately to glowing so my question is if I get my pot too hot is there any possibility of having iron come off in the melt

Boolit Grand Master

Take it from me, if you are using a cast iron pot you will get some rust in your melt. It is inevitable. Your are burning off anything that will stop the oxidation. It's not a big issue for ladle casting, most of it stays at the bottom of the pot. When you stir it up you take it out with the sawdust. Not a big deal.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome!

1. Read Glen Fryxell's book.

2. Read the stickies.

3. Buy your equipment

4. Start casting.

5. Ask questions here.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Can't add much to the above postings except that it is not always necessary to size and you can hand lube. While I usually use an RCBS lubrasizer, my Lee 45/70 boolits come from the mold the correct size (or at least a size that my rifle likes) so I use them as cast. To lube I take some 50/50 beeswax/alox lube (old NRA formula) and work it into the lube grooves without getting any on the bottom of the bullet. Works OK for small batches of bullets if the bullets cast in the right size and will fit in the cases.

So I finally got out to test my first boolits today cast from a Lee two cavity 158 swc mold alloy is straight air cooled ww dropped at about 160 grns sized with a Lee .358 sizing die lubed with 50/50 beeswax liquid allox placed in front of 3.6 grns of P38

Based on my offhand accuracy they did pretty well at 25 feet the spread from both my revolvers was 2 to 3 inches like I said I'm not much for offhand but was pleased with the results
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Grand Master

More importantly for your first use of cast, what did your barrel look like after shooting? If you have a clean barrel and are moderately satisfied with your accuracy you are well ahead of the game! Finding the best load for these boolits may be your next challenge. Their process in the barrel is very different than the condom bullets and the best load for them may not be the best load for your boolits.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yeah after checking the bores on both there is very minimal leading but some deposits that look like small chunks of lube left over is this common?
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Master

Take heed of all suggestions, find a good shrink and a 12 step program.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

In Remembrance

A good lube for sizing in the Lee push through is Dawn dish soap. It washes off easily and you will have really clean boolits to start pan lubing with.

Boolit Master

I use a cake lube for my .358's and I also use LLA from lee. Using the Lee stuff, just put a very little in a baggy and once you squish them around for awhile, then throw them on a piece of aluminum foil and let dry. There is a sticky about using 45-45-10 lube that some like and some hate. I think it is very quick way to lube but I also use carnuba red on some of my speedy boolits. Have fun, experiment and enjoy a very good hobby. Be careful of melted lead. It is usually at about 700 degrees and that is twice as hot as something coming out of your kitchen oven. It will burn fast and deep.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    Be careful of melted lead. It is usually at about 700 degrees and that is twice as hot as something coming out of your kitchen oven. It will burn fast and deep.
    Yes I have learned this while pouring ingots I had my pot too cold and the lead hardened on my ladle before it could be poured so as I went to dip the ladle back into the pot to remove the clinger it slipped off into the pot splashing lead all over.... Glad I had my welding equipment and a face shield on.