RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Action 30 Carbine?

Boolit Master

Bolt Action 30 Carbine?

I was just thinking of the next gun on my list and started thinking about he 30 carbine. I know ruger chambers a black hawk in 30, but am wondering if anyone has any experinece with a 30 cal factory bolt gun.

I would also consider a custom build off a mauser action. If anyone knows of a commercial gun or a nice easy way to create such a rabbit killer I would be very interested in any help/advise you can give.

Thanks,
    Casey B.

I have also been daydreaming about a straight wall .25 cal wildcat of about 1500-1800fps.

Boolit Master

an easy way may to be put a 308 barrel on a mauser and then use one of the 30 carbine inserts for 308. I doubt the round would feed through the magazine however. It would be a single shot. Another way is to use something in 308 with a removable magazine. You could use the insert as mentioned, and use a 223 magazine which would likely feed. Think about this: a Browning BLR in 308. Put in the 30 carbine insert. Use a 223 magazine. I bet that would work, but it wouldn't be cheap! The concept should work on any bolt gun with a detachable box magazine, however.

Boolit Master

Marlin sold a lever 30 carbine for a while which would work well for what you are thinking
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    A few guys have done a 7.62x39 on a carcano action using the single stack mags for I think the wasr ak. If you do a search it should come up. You will have to bush the bolt for the smaller case. Use the carbine mags. Should work.Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe start with a 223 action

Boolit Master
    What about one of the rifles in .22 Hornet, and then rebarrel into .25 Hornet or the .30 Carbine rim is pretty close to the Hornet rim size and length.

Boolit Buddy

Why not just get a Contender or Encore in 30 Carbine?
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master
    .360" bolt face and extractor issues (Issues = many dollars). If you are or related to a smith/machinist rock on. I too think on the wild side often but usually thinking enough takes me into cost/time/labor not worth the stroll. Rebarrel a carbine with no gas port and hand cycle op-rod. Gtek

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

A sad thing to do to a nice #4 action...

Buy a Large Ring Mauser 98 and get a 30 cal barrel threaded in and chamber it in 7.62x39 or 308BR. Buy a magazine feed block from Numrich and they will feed just fine. You can load it down to 30 Carbine levels or keep it at the standard levels as well.

I did it and now own a 7.62x39 Mauser that is just right for running down rabbits to deer.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

or the 300 black-out.
    it's super close already.
    you know a 5.7 fn case necked up to 25 caliber would be super close to straight walled.
    it will take a 270-280 bullet to make it a straight wall but 25 would leave a hint of a shoulder to headspace on without using a rim.

Boolit Grand Master

A Mini Mk X .223 rebarreled to 30 carbine or .300 BO with a 22" barrel having a 18" twist would be great IMO. I'm not interested in heavy cast subsonic but would be in 100 - 130 gr cast pushed to 2000 - 2500 fps. Would also be great with a TL314-90-SWC over Bullseye at 900 fps.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I've been thinking about a reduced base .25 hornet - straighter walls for a little S/S rifle and small frame revolver...
    You can reverse the tappet in a carbine (it won't pass any gas that way) and not have to rebarrel it, and then install the tappet correctly to get it to function semi again.

Banned

That Enfield is a sweet rifle!

Boolit Master
    As pictured its listed a very reasonable $2300 US!

Perma-Banned

not that nice.

Boolit Master

Some of the mini-mauser style should work. As was said above get one of the actions for the hornet.

Boolit Buddy
    I re-barrelled a BRNO Fox 22 Hornet to 30 Carbine a few years ago . No mods to the bolt face but since the rim in the 30 Carbine is significantly thinner than the Hornet rim , the extractor does not hold the case against the boltface and upon extraction the empty can drop free of the bolt face and not eject unless the bolt is worked smartly . Magazine modifications were necessary and did not work well so I made a couple of magazines out of sheet steel which work a whole heap better . Cartridges have to be headspaced from the front of the case . A crimp cannot be applied to a loaded round because the firing pin strike will drive the case forward - taking up the play in the extractor - and a misfire will result.
    I used to shoot an 85 grain jacketted bullet meant for pistols at about 2300 pfs . Devastating on small game . The limited case capacity restricts heavier boolit velocities. I can get a max of about 1600fps with a 160 grain CBE RN .

Boolit Buddy
    Larry and runfiverun beat me to it, but a 300 BLK would fill in nicely as far as ballistics go. That's pretty much how I have been using mine about 50% of the time - like a 30 Carbine or 32-20. I have been shooting LEE C309-113F and RCBS 32 Cal. 98 grain SWCs, pushing the LEE a bit with a GC and using the RCBS more along the lines of Ed Harris' "Bunny Guns" he has written about.

If you start with a .223 rifle, the bolt face will require no work - new barrel, of course. Brass is easy to form and casting and loading for it has been easy considering how I am using it.

You could buy a 300 BLK but the twist will be fast. That has given me no problem but if you had a preference, you could specify a lower twist if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by heathydee View Post
    I re-barrelled a BRNO Fox 22 Hornet to 30 Carbine a few years ago . No mods to the bolt face but since the rim in the 30 Carbine is significantly thinner than the Hornet rim , the extractor does not hold the case against the boltface and upon extraction the empty can drop free of the bolt face and not eject unless the bolt is worked smartly . Magazine modifications were necessary and did not work well so I made a couple of magazines out of sheet steel which work a whole heap better . Cartridges have to be headspaced from the front of the case . A crimp cannot be applied to a loaded round because the firing pin strike will drive the case forward - taking up the play in the extractor - and a misfire will result.
    I used to shoot an 85 grain jacketted bullet meant for pistols at about 2300 pfs . Devastating on small game . The limited case capacity restricts heavier boolit velocities. I can get a max of about 1600fps with a 160 grain CBE RN .
    Take the extractor out, put a little bead of weld where the rim goes and file it down to a better fit.