MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real Life Uber Lite 30/30 Load Results

Boolit Master
    In light of the shortage of 22rf, I think this is a timely thread. I plan on working up a very light load for the Blackhawk in 30 carbine. I was thinking 311008 and 3.7 Bullseye. After reading this, looks like I can go a lot lighter without fear of a stuck slug.

Boolit Bub
    I have loaded down to 3.0gr of Bullseye in .30 Car. with typical 110gr LRN bullet. No issues and hits pretty hard...

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    In light of the shortage of 22rf, I think this is a timely thread. I plan on working up a very light load for the Blackhawk in 30 carbine. I was thinking 311008 and 3.7 Bullseye. After reading this, looks like I can go a lot lighter without fear of a stuck slug.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've shot a fair few 311-419's out of my 30-30. The lightest load I've used is 4.0 grains of Bullseye, but I've used a lot more Unique and Herco at 8.0 grains.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

How fast are you shooting these? I looked in the new Lyman and see data for a 110 gr. cast. starting loads for the .308 win. start in the low teens and go up to 2000 fps.

I've been playing with 5gr of 700X under a 32 HB,WC in my 308,303,7.5 and next is 45-70
    I found in the 303's it had to be HB in the case but the other's don't seem to mind.

Disappointed, I just started reloading for my 30-30 and its not going well. Was planning on 4.5 to 5gr of 700X under the Lee 150gr FP. All the rest of my Lee die sets came with a powder through expander die which is great for cast boolits. But the 30-30 did not any the case mouths are scraping the sides of the book it when I seat it. Some worse than others. At best its scraping off some of the tumble lube, but most are scraping off some lead. The diameter is .309 to .310 as measured by my less than consistent Frankfort Arsonal calipers. Any suggestions? I assume Lee has a universal expander, and I heard Lyman has an M die. Just frustrating when your all exited about starting up a new caliber and something like this happens. Especially since the reloading shelves at the local (and not so local) stores are stripped bare...

Boolit Master
    Go over to Marlinowners.com and see the thread in the reloading section. 50 pages of experience, charts and pictures. It is well worth the time to read it through. Lots of tips. Took me several days to do it justice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TMenezes View Post
    Disappointed, I just started reloading for my 30-30 and its not going well. Was planning on 4.5 to 5gr of 700X under the Lee 150gr FP. All the rest of my Lee die sets came with a powder through expander die which is great for cast boolits. But the 30-30 did not any the case mouths are scraping the sides of the book it when I seat it. Some worse than others. At best its scraping off some of the tumble lube, but most are scraping off some lead. The diameter is .309 to .310 as measured by my less than consistent Frankfort Arsonal calipers. Any suggestions? I assume Lee has a universal expander, and I heard Lyman has an M die. Just frustrating when your all exited about starting up a new caliber and something like this happens. Especially since the reloading shelves at the local (and not so local) stores are stripped bare...

I started a thread the other day that may be useful to you:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0-30-with-cast

If it goes well (will let you know when the mold comes in) , I solved the problem you're having by spending $3.00 on a larger expander/decapper pin for my dies. The only problem is that shipping was $10.

Banned
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=30%2F30+limbo

older but relevant, especially if you wanna chunk a heavier boolit......still using them loads as they will almost silently remove things that sometimes need removal from the yard.

Boolit Master

For the people making really light loads, how much sight adjustment did you have to do between these loads and your full-power loads?

(obviously it will vary wildly depending on your particulars, but I'm still curious).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    For the people making really light loads, how much sight adjustment did you have to do between these loads and your full-power loads?

(obviously it will vary wildly depending on your particulars, but I'm still curious).
    A lot.
    On my 30-30 Winchester with the lyman receiver sight, the light 311-419 loads at 1400 fps are zeroed at 50 yards with 2 1/2 lines, while the full-power 311041 loads are down around 5--a 10 or 12 minute difference. In my .348, it is even worse. The 358-429 sized to .351 shoots to the limit of my ability to see the sights, but hits 18 inches lower than the full charge 220s at 50 yards.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I'm just starting to load cast boolits in a 30-30 Winchester in a marlin 336 ( I shoot cast boolits in my pistols exclusively) But since I was given this nice old Marlin I am wanting to try light target /plinking loads for my first attempt. I have a couple thousand Ranch dog 75 grain .32 acp boolits in hard cast commercial alloy They mike in at .314" Do any of you feel I maybe able to try a super light load with these? or is that too light? I thought I remember folks shooting cast ball in the 30-30
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post

I use the area of the cross hairs in my scope where it goes from thick to thin like it was a post sight. I adjust the powder charge to get the proper elevation. I may give up a little in group size but it is seldom a problem. (I don't really care what part of a squirrel's head i hit.)
    With a tang sight I adjust the knob for two full turns of the adjustment knob.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Bub
    Load one over 3.0gr of bullseye and see if you have any chambering issues. I have load .314 with no issues in a H&R SS, 336...

Boolit Master
    This thread has been a real treat to me because it brought back memories of my father singing:
    " Racoon up a 'simmon tree,
    Possum on the ground.
    Possum say to the 'coon,
    Won't you shake some 'simmons
    down?"
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Bub
    Like that.....
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    This thread has been a real treat to me because it brought back memories of my father singing:
    " Racoon up a 'simmon tree,
    Possum on the ground.
    Possum say to the 'coon,
    Won't you shake some 'simmons
    down?"