RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i need a new press

Get the Lee Classic Turret, it can and will do anything you want it to do. So far I've reloaded 204 Ruger, 357mag, 445SM, 480 ruger, and 460wby on it. My turret is set up right now for 480 ruger, it has the reloading dies in it and the push threw boolit sizing die also. When I got the press I cleaned it, lubed it, and removed the auto index, I've never used it.
    When you purchase the press buy however many turret heads you need so you can save on shipping.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Banned

mikesreloadingbench.com

All your answers here at money savings.

Boolit Buddy
    I think i have decided on the turret ... idealy i would like to have both a turret and d a single stage
    But quite frankly for now i am about ready to stop spending on reloading gear.
    I lost all my equipment when my garage burnt .... along with my tools
    I need to start spending my extra cash in other places for awhile... i hadnt realized.how much i had invested in just die sets and bullet molds untill i had to replace them

Boolit Master

I bought a 3 hole Lee turret press 25 years ago and it has served well. But there is slop in it by design and it has gotten worse over time. It is fine for pistol cartridges and larger cartridges that don't require a lot of force. It is nowhere near as strong and flexes a lot more than a Rockchucker or a classic cast "O" type press. If you foresee heavy work in the future, get a strong "O" press. My turret press has lost some alignment and accuracy from wear. I have tried to use it for swaging cases down for conversion to other uses and it can't handle it. I'm ready for a new press and it will likely be a Lee cast "O" press. For me, precise, quality ammunition is more important than quantity.

Boolit Master

I would diverge and say the Lee Loadmaster. Only a bit more expensive than the classic turret. The Loadmaster can also be used as a single stage press. The die plate doesn't move during the reloading process. I reload everything from 9mm to 375H&H on mine with no problems. Can crank out 100 rounds in 10 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I deprive with a Lee universal depriving die and size my cast bullets on a single stage - load on the Lee 4 hole turret. I'm doing 9mm and 38 spl. and I find the Lee turret to be just the berries for handgun ammo. You can always deactivate the turret advance and use it as a single stage if you want to. The nice thing is that your dies stay set up and all you have to do is change the turret plate. For me, the Lee turret is a real pleasure to use.

Lee Classic Turret. It's the ideal "only one press" solution. Reasonable speeds for pistol reloading, more than strong enough for big rifle cartridges.

My counsel to a fellow wanting to buy his first bench press is to get a good stout single stage cast iron press. They are available new or used from a low of $25.00 to around $200. They will all do what you want. An RCBS Rockchucker is always a good choice.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I put this shake brake on my loadmaster today, sure is steady. 800lb steel table. Lil' primers shake and almost fly.

Boolit Buddy
    Add me to the "recommend Lee Classic Turret" crowd. If in doubt its the Lee turret with the thinner base. Don't get the tall one. In a pinch you can use it as a single stage by removing the rod that rotates the die turret. That said, after acquiring a bench press in my early days of reloading, I got a Lyman Spartan. There is much to be said for a "C" type press for single stage activities. Lots of room for the hands. I still have one though the Lyman got sold.

To further bolster the recommendation, I sold my Dillon550 rig because I didnt need the volume. I thought. Though it was a most excellent press, I actually like the Lee Pro powder measure more. I do have two BR Redding measures in reserve.
    Its not the AR-15, its the PG -13.

SS is to slow! I don't have that kind of time to use a ss press to reload. Mr Dillon is on my bench.

Boolit Master
    For precision go Forster Co-ax...for speed go Dillon, the Forster also has the quickest die change outs, also see Redding, Rockchucker, Lyman orange crusher.