Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550B vs. Hornady LnL

Banned

in all realitiy swaping calibers on a square deal on takes a couple more minutes then on any other press. Only difference is a couple screws in the die plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by odis View Post
    I have used one SD since the mid 80s and have loaded more ammo than I could count with it. I have seperate tool heads for each set of dies and a seperate primer feed for both small and large plus two powder throwers one with the small charge bar and the other with the large bar. The only thing about it I don't like is the auto index, its the only thing I have ever had a problem with and I don't like using large charges of ball powder with it. When I load heavy charges for my 45colt it splashes a little powder out of the case when it indexes, at the end of an extended session the press is dusted up pretty good with 296. I guess I'm one who would prefer a manual indexing machine.

I faced the question of SDB or 550 35+ yrs ago. A no brainer to me, the 550. Restricting yourself to something as narrow as the SDB means you end up buying something else later. So buy once, done. You have no idea where your shooting hobby will end up & the SDB does NOT do rifle or even some handgun calibers, like 357sig or the big 50s. The 550 is an easy machine to run & keep running. One can easily do 400rds an hour, plenty for anyone but a hard core USPSA shooter.
    As to the LNL vs 650, a fair comparison. Both are 5stn, both auto indexing. Price them equipped the same, the 650 is about $50-$60 more. For that you get a superior priming system & case feeder in the 650. The other small points like tool head vs locking bushings are personal pref.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I went with the SDB based on prior experiences of my own reloading what I like and don't like. I think I chose the correct press for me. We'll find out Wednesday (when it arrives lol).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ACrowe25 View Post
    I went with the SDB based on prior experiences of my own reloading what I like and don't like. I think I chose the correct press for me. We'll find out Wednesday (when it arrives lol).
    I predict you will be very happy, if not downright giddy.

Boolit Master

Alvarez Kelly is right. You will like it. Then you will LOVE it. THen you will want a mor versatile prss when you discover rifles and buy a 550b. IMO, based on owning one since 1991, the 550b is the most economical to own, most versatile press on the market. It will load all but the very largest rifle cartridges and all pistol cartridges. Caliber conversions are far less expensive than the 650. Production is adequate unless you shoot a lot of matches which is why I eventually bought a 650 to feed my USPSA pistol. The 550 is great but a little slow to load 2500-3000/month. I still have a SDB in 9mm, a 550 with LOTS of conversion kits and a 650 that is used primarily for .40 S&W and .223. I thought about selling th 550 and conversion kits but th cost to replace for a 650 was substantial. My big bore pistol is all still loaded on a RCII because I seldom load more than 50 or 100 rounds at a time. I won't mess with a progressive for less than 100 rounds unless I have a full quick change with powder measure already set up and no way at all on a progressive for less than 50. I have nothing against the Hornady; just got started on Dillon when I bought the 550 new in '91 and have been a satisfied customer since.

I use the Hornady LnL busings and adapter on the RCII and it makes a world of difference in the convenience of a single stage. IMO a single stage is still necssary no matter how many progressives you own.

David
    Last edited by David2011; 01-11-2014 at 01:42 AM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I'm already giddy. Just got done casting/lubing 500+ hg68 boolits. Have all weekend to cast. Don't want my new press to go hungry.

Besides, it'll help keep my mind off it or I'll go crazy waiting.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I must agree with David's comments above concerning the 550. Mine dates from the early '90s, as best I can remember now. I know I've had it since well before we immigrated from Canada in '97. anyway.

It is perfectly sufficient for my needs, and it will handle the rounds I load, from the 9mm to the .416 Rigby. That is a rather extreme spread in size. (Although I don't have a conversion for the Rigby, the cartridge WILL fit in the press. I just don't need THAT MANY .416 cartridges!)

The 550 just keeps perking along... no muss, no fuss, simply a smooth-working and reliable machine that seldom - if ever - needs tinkering when in use. I have very high regard for mine.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

got to say that if all i loaded was a couple pistol rounds id have gone back to square deals myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    The 550 just keeps perking along... no muss, no fuss, simply a smooth-working and reliable machine that seldom - if ever - needs tinkering when in use. I have very high regard for mine.
    Well said. I added a case feeder which limits me to pistol cartridges and is still a great reliable machine. I recently bought a 450 for rifle cartridges. Alvarez Kelly sent me a primer system for it.

Boolit Master
    The needs of each of us is likely to be different and therefore different solutions apply. I shoot lots (10k+ each per yr) of 45acp, 38sp, and 5.56 and less quantities of 40S&W and the pistol magnums. My first progressive was a Lee Pro1000 .38sp which works very well once you understand them (and a pita until you do). It certainly is no Dillon or LnL! I have added other progressives over the years; two of which are more or less dedicated to the other high volume needs. I have lots of experience with Dillon and can afford anything I desire. I am not slumming with LnL or RCBS and each of them have customer service departments easily equal to Dillon. They are all good machines, just depends what you want. There is a lot of good sense in buying a SQb and later, if you need rifle, add one of the other presses. I would always want one dedicated progressive (at least) to service my high volume pistol needs. I don't like changing a progressive from one caliber to another for just a 100rd....probably use the rock chucker or lee classic turret for that. Then again, I have a room for reloading and someone working out of an apartment would see the world differently. For an apartment dweller, a SQb and lee classic turret would handle a very broad range of needs very well.

Boolit Man
    I think this is an interesting thread and it is hard for people to admit that they like other brands when they have bought X.
    There are problems with any press. I have a 550 and it was the new “hot” press when I bought it. I don’t have any paperwork or other provenance any more but I think I have the first 550B shipped. I had called Dillon to order a 550 and they said if I could wait for a couple of days the new 550B would be released for shipment. They added that it would be the same price so I said I could wait. That being said I did have an interest in how the 650 and the L&L were to load on. I had the chance to use both machines and I thought both were good machines. However I am so far down the blue path with my 550B that it would cost too much to change over to anything else.
    Perhaps if Hornadey had the L&L out when I was first looking I may have gone that way I think it is a good solid press.
    I recommend the 650 for people who are starting out that want a machine that auto indexes as it does have the station for powder check. You will love the customer service from Dillon. I dropped a powder measure and cracked the plastic reservoir. I called Dillon and ordered a new one, told them I dropped the powder measure and I did not consider it a warranty item and that I expected to pay. They told me over the phone what it cost and I said ok. When it came there was no charge.
    There will always be opinions on which machine is better. I wish Redding built a progressive that would be interesting.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    A club I was a member of had both Star/Phelps and SQb presses for pistol. I was always amazed at how many different people could use the SQb without problems or broken parts. The Star/Phelps are legendary but I think the SQb deserve their own accolades. The 1050 is a great press but I prefer more presses with a smaller footprint. One thing I can say is Dillon customer service has been consistently good from day one. I think the world of RCBS and Hornady customer service as well but have only called a couple of times in the last few years.

WOW! Never thought this thread would get some many views/comments. It's great though. Helped me a lot and definitely will continue to help people with a simple search that I could not find when I was in the market. Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to throw up some pictures when it comes in. My package from inline fab came today... great people. Looks bare mounted on my bench with well... no press

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ACrowe25 View Post
    WOW! Never thought this thread would get some many views/comments. It's great though. Helped me a lot and definitely will continue to help people with a simple search that I could not find when I was in the market. Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to throw up some pictures when it comes in. My package from inline fab came today... great people. Looks bare mounted on my bench with well... no press
    When you get your press if you have any questions or problems pick up the phone and call Dillon they will answer any questions and will be happy to assist you. They will walk you through setting up your press and making the few adjustments to get started.
    Well Dillon did it to me again. I ordered a caliber conversion for 9mm and also an up dated primer catcher and the hardware to install it. Cost of the parts and primer cup $0.00.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    I've often thought about getting an SDb or two. One for 45 acp (Mihec's HP bullets) and the other for my wife's 38spl wadcutters. Other bullets/calibers I'd run on the LNL, or for small batches, the LCT. For me, it's not so much that we shoot high volume, it's time constraints. I have very little spare time these days, so I think it would be beneficial to have a couple of dedicated setups that I don't have to keep resetting.

Boolit Master
    Something else to think about. The only progressive i have the is hornady ap. I just aquired an old marlin 336 in 35 rem. I just found out that hornady no longer makes a shell plate for the lnl ap that will fit 35 rem brass and i have not been able to find one anywhere. So it looks like i'll have to remount my old orange lyman turret to load some 35 rem. Other than that for me the hornady is a great machine and i can crank out a couple hundred loads of whatever i desire in about a half hour time with the hornady just not 35 rem. By the way if anyone has some 35 rem brass or a .358 rifle bullet mould don't hesitate to send me a message,

Boolit Master
    ^^ I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to figure which plate comes the closest (without being to big) and have it machined to fit 35 Rem.

Video please, of the press in action.
    Last edited by Randy C; 01-27-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Video of?

Boolit Master
    My LnL was a nightmare in so many ways. It's not nearly the press the 650 is and it only offers features over the 550. My 550 was easy and fast. Never a issue. The LnL was always requiring something to be modded or fixed. Total PITA. 650 is the press to get if you really want all the features and reliability. Auto indexing is overrated with out a casefeeder.