Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: New Lee 1oz slug mold - lines?

New Lee 1oz slug mold - lines?

So I just started casting yesterday and new Lee 4 20 pot is defective. Now after looking at my slugs I am concerned the mold might be off as well.

Is it normal to see that crease line where the two side of the mold cavity meet?
    You can see it more clearly on a couple of the slugs in the front row.

Top view
    Last edited by jimmyUT; 01-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    looks like the cavities are misaligned in the last photo, send it back and get a new one.

Awesome. 2 new lee products and both have to go back. Im thinking amazon is selling manufacturer seconds or something as these are both from them

Boolit Bub
    Before you send it back, read this posting on this site:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...visited)/page4

Boolit Bub
    AND read this for even more solutions for you problems. I do this one on all new molds:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ture-diameters

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyUT View Post
    Awesome. 2 new lee products and both have to go back. Im thinking amazon is selling manufacturer seconds or something as these are both from them

I would not send it back to amazon, if you send it anywhere send it to LEE on warranty, or just email them a pic of the issue and usually they will replace the item without having to send it back, they just replaced a press frame and 2 .308 dies for me (items that broke)

The older style Lee molds, ones with the sideways rods for alignment, are prone to being closed incorrectly, that is slightly misaligned. At one time or another I have cast "offset" boolits with all of my old style lee moulds. The newer Lee moulds, with the pointed pin and bushing, close much better. You might also see if you have a little bit of lead stuck on the face of the mould block which is preventing it from closing correctly.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post
    I would not send it back to amazon, if you send it anywhere send it to LEE on warranty, or just email them a pic of the issue and usually they will replace the item without having to send it back, they just replaced a press frame and 2 .308 dies for me (items that broke)
    Yeah I was thinking im done with Amazon. Im calling Lee in the morn to see what they say. This is like the 4th thing this year I have had issues with from amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    The older style Lee molds, ones with the sideways rods for alignment, are prone to being closed incorrectly, that is slightly misaligned. At one time or another I have cast "offset" boolits with all of my old style lee moulds. The newer Lee moulds, with the pointed pin and bushing, close much better. You might also see if you have a little bit of lead stuck on the face of the mould block which is preventing it from closing correctly.

BB
    Any chance you have a pic of each version for comparison?

Sorry, cameras and I don't get along very well. FWIW, I started buying my Lee moulds from FS Reloading and the 3 or 4 moulds I have bought from them in the last year have all been the new style. The new style has the pins tangent to the mould face and the old style has alignment pins running parallel to the mould face.

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    Lee "Precision" is an oxymoron.

Do not blame Amazon when the quality issue is with Lee. You spent $25 on a mold. Usually the Lee stuff is OK but they appear to do almost no QC. Their business model is to send stuff out and gladly replace it if and when it is returned. Most of it is OK but defects do get out. Many people do not know better, and some tweak the product to make it serviceable (as the links above show).

Look at it this way. If the Lee stuff was just as good as the more expensive stuff; Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon etc would be out of business.

For many people, the Lee stuff is good enough and if it was not available they could not afford to cast and reload. If you have the means to buy better equipment, do so and you will be happier. The RCBS Pro-Melt is an excellent pot and makes the Lee look like a toy.

I have the Lee buckshot mold because no one else makes anything like it. If Lyman made one, I would buy it.

As in most things, you get what you pay for.

Banned

The RCBS Pro Melt may have been outsourced to China like many of their other products. Get a Master Pot from Magma Engineering which makes the Pro Melt look like a joke.

Never discount user error.

Gotcha. HM2 makes a 12 cavity buckshot mold. Check it out. Looks a lot nicer than the lee

Banned

I have a HM2 mold and it is really nice, and it should for three time the price. The Lee buckshot works well.

Unfortunately for saving money years ago I also bought this mold, but I was very disappointed.
    Maybe it will buy the Lyman mold that is much better.

Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Called up Lee and they suggested I return it to where I bought it. I told them I would and then put my refunded money towards a Lyman mold instead. Didnt seem to want to help me out at all.

Boolit Bub
    AND read this for even more solutions for you problems. I do this one on all new molds:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ture-diameters

Start reading on post #13 and read to the end.....