Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: LEE 309 230 Blackout in M39?

Boolit Bub

LEE 309 230 Blackout in M39?

Well I just picked up a nice finn M39 and it slugs at 311. I have the Lee 309 5r 230 mold and want to try some in her.

I usually run 16 of 2400 in my 91/30 with the 314299. I have a 316465 plain base that I run with 5 grains of Clays for a plinker load.

Can I push these with the 16 of 2400 and not have leading issues? Has anyone run this boolit out of the 762x54? It is too pretty of a boolit not to use and it throws about 3115 on the lube bands.

Thanks

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried that boolit in my 30-06 with that load and had lousy accuracy and the worst case of leading ever . The lead was coming out in strips . The same boolit in front of ten grains of Trail Boss shoots into 3/4 inch at 50 .
    Fitting gas checks might allow higher velocity without leading .

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot it to around 1,600 fps without the gas check and while the accuracy was not the best there was no leading. With a gas check I have shot it to around 1,900 fps with decent accuracy and no leading. This was in a Savage 110 in 30-06, boolits coated with Hi-Tek coating.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking that you needed a fairly fast twist to stabilize that long boolit. If not, I need to try some as well.

Boolit Buddy
    My 30-06 has a 1 in 10 twist but I forgot to mention that I have machined off 200 thousands of an inch from the front of the boolits in a collet chuck fitted to my lathe . This results in a 215 grain Flat Point Boat Tail that stabilises well and gives good accuracy .