RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Reproducing commerically available bullets.

Boolit Mold

Reproducing commerically available bullets.

I barely know anything about swaging. I'm wondering if molds can be made to duplicate commercially available bullets. I am looking at the 7mm hornady 162gr amax which is discontinued for now, the nosler 7mm 150 gr or 168 gr accutip long range and similar bergers. How about the plastic tips? Can they be made and swaged in the bullet as well? I'm just curious to know what it would cost to get set up for swaging one particular 7mm bullet for long range target shooting, and maybe short range hunting, if it's ethical.

The reason I'm looking to reproduce these is because they have high (.600-.670) bullet coefficients. I think the plastic tips are key for higher b.c., because of the light weight front end combined with low drag.

I have skimmed through corbins.com. Are they the most popular?

If you have a sample bullet most diemakers can duplicate it pretty precisely. The plastic tips may be an issue, though. If you are thinking about Corbin (either one) or most other diemakers making you a set of dies that will make competition-grade bullets, save your money. The real things cost $2,000 + and that doesn't include an acceptable swaging press or other infrastructure. Guys who make them are becoming harder and harder to find and lead times are usually a year or more before you see your dies. Perhaps you might want to contact one of the vendors on this site and see how much it will cost to get started with lower-cost equipment to see if bulletmaking is your thing before you bet the farm on the real stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Alex,

Welcome to the site. By molds I'm going to guess you mean dies. Anything is possible, it's a matter of time and money.

You mentioned corbins so I'm going to assume you want to buy commercial dies. Just a guess on my part but I would think a set of dies would run you at least $600+, and there is a waiting period for most Mfg's if not all. How long might be from a few months to over a year. Most of the dies can be used in the better build reloading presses, so you might not have to buy a press. If your looking at a swaging press, again I'd say a minimum of $600, but again that's just a guess. Do your homework and check on the reliability of the Mfg's, read some of the post here. There are some people taking money and way behind on their orders. I'd be leary of anyone asking you to pay in advance. A deposit maybe, but seek your own comfort level. As far as the plastic tips I did see a post a few months ago where someone posted a link for some, about $1 each IIRC.

I originally went to the 7mm and 6.5 because of the higher BC and SD.

Good luck.
    CC

Boolit Master

CC, Corbin is more $$$ than what you mentioned.

You can make plastic tipped bullets, like the ballistic tip type.

So, you'll need the basic 3 die setup, those are $647. Might need a lead tip set (4 die), those are $846, and include everything in the 3 die set. Want rebated boat tails, as well as can make flat based? Then you might want the 6 die set, which is the 4 die set, plus the 2 boat tail dies, at $1344.

A CSP-1 press is $698. You may want it, to do the above. And, none of that includes the derimming die for making 22 cases into jackets. I didn't go with Corbin on that one, I got 2 off eBay. Corbin gets $179 for them. He didn't have them in stock, so I got them elsewhere. Derimming dies for a regular reloading press work fine in the Corbin, with the adapter for shell holders (included with the press).

FWIW, everybody is slower than death that makes this stuff. They've got backlogs that are big. Corbin takes a month to ship what he's already got in stock when you order it, and he doesn't track so well. Other than that, he's OK.

Funny thing is, I kind of like dealing with BT instead of Dave Corbin (and I think BT is going to cost you less). But, I wanted to also make match bullets, so I wanted a dedicated swaging press, and went the way I did.

Boolit Mold
    Nickle are you sure a 22 case can be made to fit 7mm?

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    would luv to see a 22LR made into a 7mm!!!

from what i know, which isn't much, 6mm is about the limitations for 22LR cases

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoAlex View Post
    I'm not. Then again, I never said it could. But, I know others have made 264 (6.5) bullets from 22 Mag cases, and they were 120 or so grains, they said. I don't doubt it.

I am setup to make 224, 264, 308, 355, 357 and 452 bullets. 243 is in the future. Sometimes I use J4 jackets for some of them, sometimes Corbin jackets. For 224, I use either, plus 22 LR case jackets.

What I did say was plastic tips can be done. And they can. Corbin sells the inserts, plus some use the 6mm Airsoft pellets for some calibers.

I barely know anything about swaging. I'm wondering if molds can be made to duplicate commercially available bullets. I am looking at the 7mm hornady 162gr amax which is discontinued for now, the nosler 7mm 150 gr or 168 gr accutip long range and similar bergers. How about the plastic tips? Can they be made and swaged in the bullet as well? I'm just curious to know what it would cost to get set up for swaging one particular 7mm bullet for long range target shooting, and maybe short range hunting, if it's ethical.

The reason I'm looking to reproduce these is because they have high (.600-.670) bullet coefficients. I think the plastic tips are key for higher b.c., because of the light weight front end combined with low drag.

I have skimmed through corbins.com. Are they the most popular?
    For a price, you can duplicate or improve on any commercial design. If you consider that bullet making for your own needs creates exactly what you want, then you'll be miles ahead of the mainstream makers. Some designs are fabulous, but commercial producers don't offer them because the market is too small and they wouldn't make any money.

Corbins are likely the most popular. Many of us use their stuff because it wa the only game in town, or some of the equipment was more readily available. You have to pick and choose what you need. These places have price lists and catalogs. Dave Corbin runs corbins.com. His brother Richard owns RCECo.com

corbins.com
    rceco.com

I think that the jackets would be paper thin, if they didn't come apart when forming/producing the bullets.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Buddy
    I have made 270 & 7mm bullets from 22mag cases. The jackets come out thin and you probably dont want to shot them very fast or in a fast twist but they work fine in my 270REN & 7TCU contenders.

Bret

Boolit Mold
    Boolit master do you know anyone in Canada that manufactures dies?

I can honestly say that no one I know of is manufacturing them for sale to the public. All my equipment was imported from the US. Early on, when the CDN dollar exchange was 1.40+, it cost a fortune, just to ship. The dollar is dropping again, and is around 0.92 US for 1 Canuck buck.

Whoever you order from, clearly explain that you wish your order to be shipped via the United States Post Office.

I'm putting this on a separate line for a reason. DO NOT use short forms. For some reason, USPS looks a lot like UPS. When your order is shipped via a courier, you will have to mortgage the farm.

WRT Cdn made dies, you have several options. The first would be to ask at your local gunshop about any tool and die makers/machinists that might be able to make some. You can also try asking at a machine shop. They might know of someone that is doing this kind of work. Even though it's metal, die making is a specialty.

http://swage.com/ebooks/hb9-text.htm This is Dave Corbin's handbook. It will give you an idea of what's involved. Bullet making is not difficult, but there is a learning curve.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Master

Alex, if you were closer, I'd say ship them to me. I'm about 3 hours south of Montreal, south of the border.

Is there anybody here 2-3 hours from Toronto that's willing to do that?

Boolit Mold
    Nickle I've been in your area before to purchase floor sanding equipment for my business. 30 minutes south of Sherbrooke. My grand mother is in Magog. On our way to and from Maine this year, my girlfriend and I took this route as well. So nice up there! You manuf. dies?

Boolit Master

Alex, I'm in the Middlebury area. I don't manufacture dies. But, if shipping is an issue, it might be much cheaper to have them shipped to someone in the US, then pick them up from them. All laws would still have to be followed, of course.

Boolit Mold
    Oh I misunderstood you. Thanks for the offer. I know there are shipping depots in Buffalo 1.5 hours from me. They typically charge $5-$20 for small to large items (ie tires).

Boolit Master

That isn't too bad. Cheaper than the gas from here to Buffalo.