Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with crimp

Banned

i have had rifles barely hang out at 3" at 90 yards, a smoothbore shotgun doing that is excellent.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131129_080422_579.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	90920

this was the 90 yard group with a smoothbore 18" Remmy 870

Banned
    Hello Smokecloud, that is simply great shooting and that too from a smooth bore, no need to fire 5 shots.

Look at it from a hunting point of view, you will fire one well placed shot and if need be a second shot so when testing your gun for accuracy all you need is 3 shots and space them apart lets say 30 to 45 seconds apart.
    Please post your results here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...allenge-thread
    Great shooting!

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
    http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
    -Elite Group of Slug Shooter's
    We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.
    Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK

Banned

I'd call that success. Congratulations and thanks for range report.

Boolit Master
    For makin' slug loads I'd get the roll crimper that fits on a drill/drillpress and crimp 'em till their tight, better then fartin' around with a fold crimp that doesn't stay done up.

Boolit Master
    I've got no advice, as I spend most of my time on the road, and only occasionally play with slugs/roundballs. I only wish I could get groups like that from a smooth bore!
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

What was your final set of components and setup?

I am struggling to get geniune Win and Fed wads locally.

Trying to take notes on others success.

I will be working with the Lee 1oz.

Boolit Mold
    I have loaded up about 50 more to play with, but work schedule and weather has kept me from testing more. My final load components for that were as follows

~Winchester AA-HS 2 3/4" Hulls (gray)
    ~Winchester 209 Primer
    ~Federal 12S4 wad, with petals cut down even with the top of the slug
    ~29.0 grains of Longshot Powder
    ~525 grain Lyman slug-cast from Wheel Weights and water quenched for hardness, they drop at an average of 508gr, then fill the rear of the slug with a hot glue gun, let it set for a day, then cut flush with a razor
    ~small 1" paper square to prevent powder migration (thanks Ajay)
    seat slug and wad to 60psi then fold crimp.

I got the recipe in Lymans 5th edition for 1 1/4 oz shot data, my slugs are closer to 1 1/8 oz, so there is a safety margin. From memory, the Lyman manual listed 1380fps for that load, I got an average of 1350 and am attributing it to the semi auto action reducing the velocity, I have seen this with a few loads, when compared to the 870, even though the 870 is a 18" and the 930 is a 22"

As far as 3 vs 5 shots, I would have fired 20 if I had them, as I was far more concerned with making positive that there is no more key holing. Im not looking for hunting rounds, I shoot 3gun and have a need for an economical slug that has some reduced recoil, but one match that I like to compete in, is the MGM Ironman, I typically need 150 slugs Minimum for the 3 days of shooting. I usually take at least 250. that's a lot of slugs and really wanted to abuse my shoulder a little less, but the longshot is still pretty stiff at 1350 fps, but it definitely is no where near as punishing as the Federal 1610fps slugs I ran the last two years. The last problem I was hoping to cure was the leading problem I was experiencing with factory slugs. for whatever reason, my 930 Mossberg leads terribly and after 50 slugs, it looked like an old rotten sewer pipe, it took a drill and wire brush and at least 30 min of work to get it out for the next day. With the Lymans and shotcups, there is only plastic fouling at a minimal level.

components are still horrible to acquire, I had a bag of the Fed 12s4's backordered for several months just to try them. I happened to find another bag on the shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse, so I snagged it. while unsuccessfully powder shopping last week, I managed to find another single bag of the Federal 12s4 at a prepper store and didn't look at it twice, its still very very rare to find anything on the shelf at all, and if you do find something, its always claybuster's. I have about 700 of the wads that seem to be working now, that's enough to be comfortable with, do an adequate amount of testing and then load enough for the summer.

I also have about 200 of the Lee 1oz slugs I have not done much with, I traded some lead to a guy in exchange for him making them for me before I had my own mold. He said he used Win AA hulls, WAA12 wads, Win 209 primers and 44gr of Blue Dot, I swear I saw that load listed somewhere, but I can not find it now that im looking for it. I have about 4lbs of blue dot that's been around for a lot of years, but is still good and I would love to confirm that load so I can burn some of the BD up. My 930 has the rifled Carlsons choke tube installed right now, I did shoot a few Lees through it with a different load and the rifled choke seemed to be very beneficial to the Lee's, but I don't have a good load for them at the current time.

Vendor Sponsor

Smokecloud: After reading all this and finding out you are shooting 3 gun I have a recommendation. I have shot exactly two of those Federal Slugs and they dislocated one of my ribs and I had to go to the Chiro twice to get it put back!

If you are only toning it down to 1350 fps what I don't understand is why you don't go farther. Beating yourself up with these heavy slugs is pointless, and especially if you are going to shoot 150 over three days?

Dude: you must be a stout boy. I can't even come close to doing that. But my main point is why do it at all.

In three gun you have to either hit a steel target at less than 50 yds., or poke a hole in a paper target. It doesn't take that much to do either.

I load 1 1/8 oz. trap loads of 18-19 gr of Green Dot with a WAA12 un modified wad with a .622 round ball that weighs 422 gr, or slightly less than 1 oz. The ball is sitting on top of a 1/4" felt wad to cushion the shot. They are running at about 1100 FPS! from a Smoothbore barreled M500. I use Win AA hulls mostly, or throwaway Win Universals or Fed cheapo hulls if I can't pick up my hulls.

These simple loads do everything you need and they don't begin to beat you at all. I can shoot 200 of them in one day since they are exactly like my standard Trap/Skeet loads, and I routinely shoot 200-250 in one day for those games. I am average size, and 64 YO.

I load my buckshot loads exactly the same way except the payload is 000 buck that I cast.

You mentioned problems with Leading. I don't have those problems since the ball is inside the wad, and never touches the barrel.

If you are planning on hunting with your slug loads then I say fine, but these lighter loads are completely adequate for any three gun uses I have seen, and they are much easier on the bod.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-28-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    roundball interests me, i had not read anything about a .622 diameter though. only .678 .690 and larger. i found that i had to drive the lymans faster to stabilize them. the steel targets at the Ironman are mostly around 80 yards and keeping velocity fast enough to group well at that distance was my goal. i do have a lower powered load at 1150 fps but different components and bulges the crimp a little but still shoots fine out to 50 yards but not 80. tell me more about your RB setup. what mold are you using?

Vendor Sponsor

Smoke: it is a regular Lyman RB mould. It drops at .662-3 ( I apologize for my earlier typo of .622) I told you I'm 64 and my mind is almost gone,,,

The petals on the Claybuster WAA12 clones I use are .035 thick. x 2 = .070 + .662=.732. cylinder bore on my M500 is .735 so this is a good fit.

Anything from a smooth bore is going to be iffy beyond 50 yds. But all I can say is try them and see what happens. I sighted my gun in on clay pigeons on the 50 yard berm at our range. Had no problem hitting them with open sights on the M500 20" bbl.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com