Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range results 4 LR challenge thread

Thread is getting cold, needs a bump. Friday is forecast to be about freezing and not much wind. I have the slugs ready, now to see if I really want to walk through a foot of slush at the range. We had about 12 to 13 inches of snow in less than a week and most it is still here. I ain't complaining as we haven't had it near as bad as a lot folks.

BB

Boolit Master

where do u live BB? i'm outta slugs for the moment and harmd cards, back in aion soon....

Boolit Grand Master

I am hoping to get out and do some shooting next week. Maybe this time I will hit something and have a target worth posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    where do u live BB? i'm outta slugs for the moment and harmd cards, back in aion soon....
    NW Ohio. Snow usually misses us, didn't this time. Heading out to the barn to check on my wife's horses (around zero F), anybody want a Paso Fino?

BB

What do they taste like? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    NW Ohio. Snow usually misses us, didn't this time. Heading out to the barn to check on my wife's horses (around zero F), anybody want a Paso Fino?

BB
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    Why mess around with Tapered Hulls at all for Slug loading? The straight hall ones are easier, and more forgiving.
    I use Fiocchi, and Federal .090" base hulls. The federal ones are my Favorite, but damn expensive I wish they would reduce the price. They could seaily compete with Fiocchi, if they would change the way they do Business. I seem to recall Years ago that Federal believed that making Reloading Components available hurt their ammo Business.

The X12X is a relaible gas seal, and better than the BPGS. The BPGS can fail in loads with some Wad Columns. I quit using it years ago. The OB12 is also a good seal, bit is smaller in Diameter, and can allow some Powder migration if carrried alot.

80 Gr of IMR 4759 sounds awfully Hot to me. My Data shows 64.0Gr to provide 1555FPS with a 615Gr hard cast HB Slug.
    I'd be guessing you are in the 14-15K PSI range, but can't be sure. Maybe have Tom Pressure Test it in the Spring?
    The BC on the slug is pretty Low, probably around .10 so pushing it faster isn't going to flatten the Trajectory appreciably.
    My Load would give you a Headache after a few rounds in a 7.5# Gun. I put a 1# Mercury Reducer in the Stock to Tame it.
    It was fired in a 2 3/4" JC Higgins pump action. The Bore has plenty of machining marks and is fully threaded to the Receiver. It will shoot jusy about any hollow base Slug, Factory or otherwise into 2" or less at 50 yards. I've not tried it futher at Paper. It wears a Lyman Peep sight with the Aperatur unscrewed for faster target Acquisition. Haven't hunted with it in Years, but did get a nice old 9Pt with it some Years ago.

Perhaps we could comvince Accurate Molds to make an improved full Bore HB Mold for Forum Members? We could collectively develop Loading Data to go with it.
    Greg AKA 12 Bore

Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    What do they taste like? lol

Chicken.

BB

Boolit Bub
    I like cats....I just can't eat a whole one by myself!!

Boolit Master

First trip to range with lee 7/8oz slugs i cast myself. That process was much easier than I expected and all but a handful of the 75 or so that I cast were great, right @ 380 grns! Last trip to the range was awful, thought scope was the problem. But i was using new wads, the trap commanders from BPI. They are a perfect fit and could use them again after shooting. But here are 2 things I KNOW after my tests: 1) my load in federal 2 3/4 hulls with 34 - 36 grns Longshot, BPI OP wad, AA - 12 red wads w/2 - 1/8" 20 ga nitro card in wad and pure lead slugs will put 5 shots in my cap @ 100 yds. even though the wads are totally destroyed. 2) the same charge except using the perfectly fitting Trap Commander wads (no separate OP wad) w/2 - 16 ga cards won't put 5 shots in a washtub! But hey, the wads look good before and after! What I DON'T KNOW is why!!! I've got a few of the old wads left that I'll load and shoot tomorrow just to verify. Meanwhile, anybody got a clue? AJ's old thread has got all the pics of the various components to compare if you care to. (added: just remembered I'm out of OP wads, will have to cut base off some wads to replace.) Oh, did I tell you I'm a boolit caster now??
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 01-20-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    First trip to range with lee 7/8oz slugs i cast myself. That process was much easier than I expected and all but a handful of the 75 or so that I cast were great, right @ 380 grns! Last trip to the range was awful, thought scope was the problem. But i was using new wads, the trap commanders from BPI. They are a perfect fit and could use them again after shooting. But here are 2 things I KNOW after my tests: 1) my load in federal 2 3/4 hulls with 34 - 36 grns Longshot, BPI OP wad, AA - 12 red wads w/2 - 1/8" 20 ga nitro card in wad and pure lead slugs will put 5 shots in my cap @ 100 yds. even though the wads are totally destroyed. 2) the same charge except using the perfectly fitting Trap Commander wads (no separate OP wad) w/2 - 16 ga cards won't put 5 shots in a washtub! But hey, the wads look good before and after! What I DON'T KNOW is why!!! I've got a few of the old wads left that I'll load and shoot tomorrow just to verify. Meanwhile, anybody got a clue? AJ's old thread has got all the pics of the various components to compare if you care to. (added: just remembered I'm out of OP wads, will have to cut base off some wads to replace.) Oh, did I tell you I'm a boolit caster now??
    Hogtamer, congrats on taking the plunge into casting. Didn't those first few home poured slugs give you a warm fuzzy feeling of independence and self sufficiency?

Good to know about the Trap commander wads. I have considered using them in a rifled barrel
    , which I think was Ajay's application for them.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

In Remembrance

Now that deer season is over, i will have something to share soon: 12ga 3.5" brass hull loads, and some 20ga loads. it will be "test 6" in the series.

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

pipehand, my thoughts were that the trap commanders would be perfect for this load in a RIFLED barrel as the fit is so good. got a buddy with one and i'll try to find out for you?

Boolit Master

back to the range....i was pretty disgusted last time but the wind was gusting up to 30mph. Loaded a few more today, 1/2 w/ 36 grns longshot, 2 - 20 ga hard cards (instead of 16s) in the trap commander wads. just for kicks shot 3 each out of fixed full choke and didn't put even 1 in the 10" circle. got that out of my system and changed to cylinder bore. 1st 3 shots (in orange) were the 36 grns LSHT. Notice that they "climb the ladder". My gun does this every time! even though it was 32 degrees and the shots were about 30 seconds apart. The next 4 shots(in black) were the 34 grns Longshot. again, a bit of ladder climbing but 2 slugs in virtually same hole. one thing that surprises me a bit is that these loads shoot the 7/8 slugs virtually flat @ 100 vs 50 yds. i don't know if i can tweak these loads for a little better grouping or this is it. this is shooting off hood of truck on some jackets and i use the term " range" advisedly! down in the pasture near the house. Maybe off a lead sled next time and a rifled gun to boot...
    Attachment 94340
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 01-23-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: add pic

ht,

If you have the same POI at 50 and 100 yards, try shooting them at 75 yards. The slugs are probably still rising at 50 yards and are dropping at 100 yards, with a high point of trajectory between those two ranges.

BB

Your "climb the ladder" group, if it was a centerfire bottleneck cartridge might be from barrel heating, with a slug gun probably be something else. I have had H&R single shot slug guns and MZs, and 45-70s vertically string and sometimes it has been due to the stock being a bit loose. Scopes, rings and rails can also the problem.

BB

If the barrel has a pillar rib - like Remington barrels - it will cause the barrel to bend upwards as the barrel elongates due to the heat.
    Cap'n Morgan

BTT. Forecast is for 40s and 50s next week in NW Ohio so hopefully I can make it to the 100 yard range. Gonna take the 10ga Pardner, 20ga USH and maybe the 24ga H&R if I can get enough rounds put together this weekend.

BB

I hate this winter!

BB

Boolit Master

I should have a rifled gun soon BB and plan to really give you something to gripe about!

I should have a rifled gun soon BB and plan to really give you something to gripe about!
    Maybe not, Ohio is getting ready to legalize straight wall rifle cartridges for deer, so it will be hard to bug me this year. In the woods this fall with my Marlin 444S, now what to shoot with all these dedicated slug guns? Wait, I know, tannerite.

Hog, what type of spin imparting scatter gun you getting? I know cplieri just picked up up a 20ga USH, I have a feeling you fellow's targets are gonna make me feel bad.

BB