RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it matter???

Boolit Grand Master

K-Rod

Add 2% tin to your COWWs and the cast with the alloy at 725 degrees. Keep the mould hot, pour the alloy into the each cavity separately and leave a good sprue over each cavity. If using a dipper get the alloy into the mould quickly as it cools off faster than we think.

I'll bet the 429667 will cast to nominal diameter. I have a standing offer to test Lyman moulds that supposedly cast "undersize". If you try the above and it doesn't cast to nominal I'll ask you send the mould to me. I will test it and if it does cast to nominal I will send it back with full details on what was done. I do no "magic" to get Lyman moulds to cast to at least nominal diameter. I follow standard casting procedures as out lined in Lyman's and other casting manuals. If the mould does not cast to nominal diameter I will buy it from you, if you want, for what you paid for it plus the shipping to me. You can then get another or order a custom mould. If you want it back to then send to Lyman no problem, I pay the shipping back to you.

PM me if you want to give that a try.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    K-Rod

Add 2% tin to your COWWs and the cast with the alloy at 725 degrees. Keep the mould hot, pour the alloy into the each cavity separately and leave a good sprue over each cavity. If using a dipper get the alloy into the mould quickly as it cools off faster than we think.

I'll bet the 429667 will cast to nominal diameter. I have a standing offer to test Lyman moulds that supposedly cast "undersize". If you try the above and it doesn't cast to nominal I'll ask you send the mould to me. I will test it and if it does cast to nominal I will send it back with full details on what was done. I do no "magic" to get Lyman moulds to cast to at least nominal diameter. I follow standard casting procedures as out lined in Lyman's and other casting manuals. If the mould does not cast to nominal diameter I will buy it from you, if you want, for what you paid for it plus the shipping to me. You can then get another or order a custom mould. If you want it back to then send to Lyman no problem, I pay the shipping back to you.

PM me if you want to give that a try.

Larry Gibson
    First I'd like to say Thanks to everyone for the advice. As pointed out, it appears that this has been talked about numerous times & I'm sorry for being one of "Those". I find that if I get too frustrated with something, it's best to stop & ask questions before something bad happens. Thats what I like so much about this site. There is a wealth of information here due to it's member's & the passion they have for this craft. An awesome bunch of people & a great community of folks.

Secondly, Larry, that is a very generous offer Sir. I'll take your advice & see what I can make happen. If I had a 44-40, I'd just keep it. It's my belief that this bullet would be great for Cowboy loads for my 44cal Blackhawk's & 44cal lever rifles. Unfortunatley, these bullets will do me no good if I can't get them to at least .429

Boolit Master
    k-rod, don't get too rung out about bringing up such a topic. Fact is, even though it annoys some, if we didn't beat some dead horses it would get pretty boring around here!

Boolit Master

Off hand, I'd say that the difference you're getting between your alloy and Lyman #2 will not make the .429" diameter Lyman advertises.

Cold night out so I'll beat the dead horse a little more to get warm.

I haven't had a Lyman .429 mould lately that casts .429. Got a 429667 myself that I finally turned over to a machinist buddy and he opened the bands to .433".

Take the advice above, be sure you're getting undersize bullets and if so, send it back./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....