Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage re barrel/rebore

Boolit Mold

Savage re barrel/rebore

So I picked up a savage varmint .308 that I think to re bore/barrel to .358 or maybe .338 fed. After much reading still not sure due to bullet availability and ammo as well.
    I plan to start out with factory bullets and in time consider getting cast. This is the advise I got from members here.

Most sites are out of stock on many 35 cal bullets and no idea when they will get them or completely discontinued in 200 plus grains. I guess if a guy wants to shoot under that why not use a smaller caliber? I wonder why the bullets are so limited in weights that are most suitable for the caliber? Round nose in particular which I am fond of myself.
    I'm not very knowledgeable in the gun department but I read a bit and it seems(to me)that any given caliber is good up to a given weight at which point its time to move up in caliber.
    In the case of the .358 I've found 180 grains left and right and a few 200's as well but then it seems practically extinct.

In the case of the .338 fed (from what I've read)the bullet offerings are more suited to extended ranges and higher velocities. Again, not having personal experience I turn to you for advice
    as far as available loading info. and components. My main use is deer but on occasion I drop a cow elk for the freezer. Under 250 yds. is plenty for me. I want a single load/bulllet that will open enough in this spectrum if not drop a deer in its tracks If possible.

On another note, in forum jumping I read that Savage will re-barrel your rifle. This is true but they do NOT do .358 or .338 Fed. They also told me that the new style barrel nut(smooth) is interchangeable with the old style without having to inlet or modify a stock.

I am a novice in truth but don't crucify me for it. Everyone starts somewhere..

Lou

Boolit Master
    If you have a small shank barrel, get one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...tainless-steel

You can find a coupon on the web that will give you $20 off a $200 order.
    After you swap barrels, sell the barrel wrench for $20, the headspace gauges for $20, and your varmint barrel for $150 on the Savageshooters forum.

I bought this package a few weeks ago but haven't shot it yet. I'm swapping out a sporter 308 barrel.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, that's not a bad idea. I've seen it done on YouTube.
    It doesn't look too difficult. The worst part is getting my barrel off
    as It has a the smooth nut and I'll probably take a pipe wrench to it. I'll have to order an old style nut.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by biglead View Post
    Thanks, that's not a bad idea. I've seen it done on YouTube.
    It doesn't look too difficult. The worst part is getting my barrel off
    as It has a the smooth nut and I'll probably take a pipe wrench to it. I'll have to order an old style nut.
    Mine has the smooth barrel nut and I'm using a pipe wrench and replacing the nut too. I built a wooden block set to hold the action, but it still turned. I'll have to try again later with a different design, but right now I'm one-handed due to a recent surgery.

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php
    This site will answer most of your questions on a Savage rebbl. I would advise you to shoot it first. If you are looking @ jacket loads there isn't much that the 308 cannot do.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

bhn22
    You would have greater bullet availability, and even better quality if you keep it .308. There's a lot more loading data available too.

I changed over an 80s era 110 from 30-06 to 243. I ended up splitting the nut on the rifle. I got a take-off 243 barrel from another forum and he sent the nut along for the ride, including pipe wrench marks. I filed the digs out and wrenched it on with a strap wrench. It's a straightforward swap.

I would have to agree about keeping it 308 though, unless you are looking at taking larger than average game at comparatively short ranges. Or maybe you're just dying for a bigger-than-30 bore, which is as good a reason as any. I'd skip the rebore for sure and pick up a barrel off Midway or go through ER Shaw. Get a new barrel nut, you'll likely crucify the factory one.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Master
    Honestly, if I had another large ring Mauser receiver laying around I'd do it up in that caliber that Gearnasher (and company) are playing with.

Boolit Buddy
    The advice to go to savageshooters forum is good advice. I have done a number of re-barrels and it is ridiculously easy. Re-barreling is a snap and if you want to change back to 308 it is a few minutes of your time. That is the best part of owning a Savage. If you think you want a 35 caliber do it. You certainly do not need any reason other than you feel like it.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    You would have greater bullet availability, and even better quality if you keep it .308. There's a lot more loading data available too.
    +1! Some sound advice!
    Tom Vietnam Vet..........June 66 - Dec 67