Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are y'all finding powder? Or are you?

Boolit Master

There's only one store in my immediate area that has powder. I walked through today and they had almost nothing; some 410 and some 8# jug of winchester shotgun powder that didn't ring any bells as a common pistol powder, so I took little note of it.

They had some 1-lb cans of various VV powders for $48 per pound. I passed.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'm lucky. I can find whatever I want locally. Which is why I picked up 80k of various sizes of primers. I'm not one to pass up a sale and I'm good for a long while now. And I've been good on powder for awhile now. But I still pick up some from time to time. I found a store that had pretty much every Hodgdon/Alliant/IMR/VV powders in stock. A lot of them in 4# and 8# quantities at normal pricing. It seems very regional as to what's available. My area seems to have lost 22 first while keeping powders, primers and factory ammo on the shelves well beyond when most saw them disappear. I live in a populated area so maybe this has a lot to do w/ it. I also have a lot of stores to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoShooter View Post
    i got lucky and snagged some off a friend the other day. 1.5# bullseye, 1# HP-38, and 1.5# H335, all for $70. I also ordered some A1680 from www.lohmanarms.com because they claimed to have it in stock. It still hasn't shipped (over a week now).
    Good luck with Lohman Arms. I had a primer order with them (primers were showing "in stock") and finally cancelled it after waiting six months and no primers. I ordered the primers in July 2013 and cancelled the order just before Christmas.
    Tom Vietnam Vet..........June 66 - Dec 67

Boolit Buddy
    I was running some errands today and found myself near a gun shop that I had not visited in 10 plus yrs.
    I stopped in and saw that they had what looked like every type of powder Alient makes.
    I asked for a one pound can of Powder and the owner proceeded to tell me that he would only sell me
    the one pound (please note that is all I ask for) and I should be glad to get that. I thought OK I'm lucky.
    But was I? The going rate at the other LGS's is $17 a one pound can, but I was lucky to get this one for
    $23 a pound. He was lucky to rip me off for the $6 bucks extra a pound this time, but I vote with my wallet
    and will not be back.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    I was running some errands today and found myself near a gun shop that I had not visited in 10 plus yrs.
    I stopped in and saw that they had what looked like every type of powder Alient makes.
    I asked for a one pound can of Powder and the owner proceeded to tell me that he would only sell me
    the one pound (please note that is all I ask for) and I should be glad to get that. I thought OK I'm lucky.
    But was I? The going rate at the other LGS's is $17 a one pound can, but I was lucky to get this one for
    $23 a pound. He was lucky to rip me off for the $6 bucks extra a pound this time, but I vote with my wallet
    and will not be back.
    If you really don't like it, then you should post the name of the store and where it is located. Otherwise, to paraphrase the immortal words of Clayton Williams, you might as well just lay back and enjoy it.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Graffs & Sons. Add banner on top of this page. Has Privi brass on sale. More important to a few. They have it in sometimes hard to find calibers. 303 Brit is one. About all the European old military calibers.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    and will not be back.

These days $23 isn't all that bad - the normal price around here is in the $22 - $27/lb and the bunkhole places are charging $30 - $35/lb.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

$25 is the norm by me. Any less means you got a deal, so to speak.

Boolit Buddy
    As said previously, my LGS is selling it for $30 a pound. But they have it all... so I'm not going to complain.

Boolit Master

Even Cabela's seems to have some powder and primers in stock....Dave C. probably bought some stock from before the shortage and made that owner a $$ or two. I prefer the LGS to the e-mail and chain guys, but if you need the powder...primers...J-words...22LR...etc, I suppose you have to buy them when you see them.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master
    best place around for me is our local Wal-Mart.

Love Life
    It seems the shortage is more profound in the east.

I just search all over the interweb. I also use the burn rate chart religiously and I'm not afraid to try a new powder.
    Last edited by Love Life; 01-09-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have a link to the burn rate chart? I'd love to have that. I don't mind switching it up either.

Love Life
    Powder burn rate chart: http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Yep, don't be afraid to use a different powder than you're used to. Just be smart about it and go to the powder manufacturer's website and get load data. If none exists, then call the powder manufacturer.

While other people are sitting at home (not shooting) for fear of using up their favorite powder, I have developed loads using other powders and have been having fun. Not only that, but I have found very accurate loads using other powders that everybody shunned so I was able to lay in deep in supplies.

I am almost out of Retumbo though so I'll soon be starting the journey of using Ramshot Magnum in the .243 with heavy bullets.

I'm also not afraid of hazmat charges. If given the choice of sitting at home and being bored to save $28, or going shooting, then I am paying the hazmat fee gladly and going shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'm also not afraid of hazmat charges. If given the choice of sitting at home and being bored to save $28, or going shooting, then I am paying the hazmat fee gladly and going shooting.
    Same here. Suprisingly I have been able to get everything in quantity locally so I haven't had to pay it. And I would not be happy if I had to pay it to order a pound or two. But if that's what it took to keep shooting I wouldn't think and just pay it. That $28 is a dinner w/ my girl and stepdaughter at Five Guys. And while it's a damn good burger I'm there for 30 minutes. The powder will provide hours of entertainment.

Love Life
    I use a half tank of gas to get to Reno and back to buy powder. I usually get something to eat as well.

The hazmat fee is cheaper than my gas, and cheeseburgers are added to the tab!!! When you live in BFE, the hazmat fee starts to look a whole lot cheaper!

Boolit Buddy
    OK what is BFE?

I have driven all the way to Reno to get powder and you are right, even at 40 mpg it cost more than the hazmat fee since my wife always wants to go out to dinner.
    Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    Not to mention all the guns that try to follow you home when you go to the shop Hazmat fees are not that bad do your research use a calculator and do what works best for you

bhn22
    I guess we're just lucky here. Our local Scheels does an excellent job of keeping powder in stock. Some powders simply aren't available, but you can usually find something there that will work for you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tg32-20 View Post
    OK what is BFE?
    That where you get Monday Night Football on Wednesday.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...