RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: CH Autochamp presses use without the priming step

Boolit Mold

CH Autochamp presses use without the priming step

I have 2 CH Autochamp presses that I got at a yardsale a few years ago. I now have a place of my own and enough space to set up the presses. I have looked at all the info I can find on line and the primary concern seams to be with the priming system and powder measure.
    Can I remove the decapper pin from my sizing dye and run cases that I have hand primed through these presses?
    Do I need to remove all the Primer handling parts to go this route?
    I only load for 38 S&W , 38 Special, 357 mag. My plan is to set one press up on the 38 S&W and leave it that way, and set the other up for 38 Special and use spacers when I need to do 357 mag, which should only need to be at the boolet seating and crimp station.
    I also plan to adapt the Dillon powder measure to feed powder.
    Anyone tried this route with these presses?

Thanks for any insights on these presses!

Boolit Master
    The Autochamp is a precursor to the RCBS Green Machine and several members have rebuilt both models and have them up and running. Most notably Seagiant, who has his working with rebuilt primer systems and Lee Auto-disk powder measures!

Looking up some of his posts on the subject would be a good place to start. What you are looking to do is possible and then some.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well... it seems to me you are throwing in the towel before you've even tried yet! Maybe you should sale the Auto Champs and buy a Dillon??? Inline reloaders are not for everyone and there's no shame in that,probably shows you have good sense actually!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Much:
    I have multi-part reasoning for using to Autochamps without using the primer feed.
    I like to inspect my primer pockets before priming them. I prefer to seat primers in a clean pocket.
    I also like the feel of seating primers with my hand primer.
    One of the presses already had the primer feed removed before I got it, and the other looks a bit short on parts.
    I just downloaded a copy of the manual and haven't yet gotten to look at the presses with the pictures of what they should look like in hand.
    Mainly started the post to see if anyone has had problems using these presses with primed brass and what to lookout for.

Thanks again......
    gideons301

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Parts can be obtained from Dave at CH4D. While not building new ones they do support these machines fully and are nice people to deal with! Although you might think I sounded flippant with my remarks I was actually quite serious. These machines are not for the faint of heart or the unmechanical!

You could be a rocket scientist from Huntsville,AL I don't know but I personally see no reason to have a progressive press that will not prime as part of the operation. If you want to be that meticulious and there is nothing wrong with that, I would just go to a nice single stage press and a loading block!

To me the CH Auto Champ is for a person that wants to spend the least amount of time loading and more time shooting. Properly set up AND properly operated they will literally drown you in reloaded ammo at the bench!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Mold
    Greetings Seagiant: I understand where you are coming from. I am fairly mechanically inclined. I made a living for over 30 years keeping Tissue Converting machines running. That often meant fabricating parts that were no longer made. Unfortunately right now I don't have access to the milling machines or lathes that I did then, there isn't much in the way of parts I can't make, but the right tools make projects MUCH easier.

Long term I will likely find or make the parts to get these machines fully functional. Right now I just want to make some ammo on them and learn about them along the way.

I am semi retired now and have more time than money (once I get caught up on on the Honey DO list in our new to us, 70+ years old house). I need to get my smelting, casting setup in place as well as get a loading bench running (so many projects, so little money/time/whatever).

The picture of the press in your last post looks to me to be very much like what I have 2 of (They are a little dirty right now, from having been in storage for a few years)

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I would download the owners manual at CH4D's site and just get parts from Dave, they are not that bad price wise and the Auto Champs hold their value.

Here is a guy loading on a GM with brass that is pre primed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEk4sZwwlEE

Boolit Grand Master

If it is any help, I had an Auto Champ when I was active in IPSC competition. I was actually timed a couple of times and (with help keeping the cases, primers, and powder filled, was able to load 1000 rounds in about 54 minutes just keeping a good cadence going. This was with .45 ACP. I bought a Dillon later and sold the CH because I needed rifle ammunition loaded, too. I couldn't afford two machines at the time.

The only issue I had at all was the advance lever would periodically bend (it was not heat treated and was soft steel). This didn't allow the cartridge to advance quite enough. I soon learned to watch this and fix it when needed. If I kept it I would have re-inforced that.

Dave of CH4D is a great guy to do business with and he knows the CH product line. Discuss anything you need with him and he'll help you all he can. I haven't talked to him in years, but I really liked the guy when I did business with him. Good people, without question.

FWIW
    Dale53