RepackboxTitan ReloadingMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303 British - Brass No More?

Boolit Buddy

303 British - Brass No More?

Will anyone ever make 303 british brass again?

I am joking mostly but it seems that everyone is on backorder. Midway has been for over a year.

I want to try the o-ring trick. That would seem to require new brass but all I have is once fired on hand. At the same time I would hate to waste a box of factory ammo just to generate a reloadable supply.

Graf has Prvy but only sell in lots of 100. If the o-ring thing doesn't work I don't really need that many.

Thanks for a place to vent.

Buy the hundred - if you don't find use for the remaining 50 or 80 or whatever - put 'em up for sale here - lot of us have 303's
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    Or try annealing your once fired brass prior to using the o-ring.

Robert

Boolit Master

Mr Nambu sells bags of 50 PRVY.

Doug

Boolit Master
    Buy the Prvi - The head is larger and the shoulder more closely matches the much longer chambers.
    Lee Enfield chambers do not closely match dies, brass or ammo....
    EDG

What is the "o-ring trick"?

PM 'Jim'. He has a heap he offered me but I have quite a stash.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the responses! I will look into the PRVI.

Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    What is the "o-ring trick"?
    You place the appropriate size o-ring on the case head just ahead of the rim, which centers the cartridge in the chamber. When fired, the case remains 'straight,' instead of expanding to fit the chamber while its laying on the bottom.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    mrbillbus,

Privi .303 Brit cases are, in my experience, the best made and most economical alternative to NORMA or Lapua if you are wanting quality brass that will perform in your .303 Whateverrifle. Yes there are some minor lot-to-lot differences in flange (rim) diameter and thickness. Remington and Winchester render a shorter case life. Must be made for SAMMI dimensioned chambers only? Privi is my favorite manufacturer of .303 cases.

nichollst55 says it well about the "O" ring trick. Not a trick really, but a method that will allow you to fireform cases to a particular chamber without much humbug. Some members here bell the case mouth to a diameter that will have a snug fit to the throat ensuring the case is indeed well aligned to the bore. All this is a one time proceedure.

Mil-surp SMLE-Enfields are what they are, and many do have head space to an excess that will shorten brass life. Within its limits, the O ring 'takes up' this excess safely. You do have your 'new' Enfield's headspace inspected before firing, don't you? (just asking)!
    Hoped to have been of service.

My two dinar,
    Wt.

"Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    FWIW, I tried the O ring trick with once fired brass. I didn't run max loads, but it seemed to work just fine. I bought a variety of O-rings and chose the one that let the bolt close with just a tad of resistance. Granted, I only got 30 shots out of it before it crapped out but now that I know what size ring, I can just buy a bag of them.

Boolit Master
    I've had some old hansen cartridge company 303 brass. Out of all the different brands privi was the only one that did not show a large bulge near the case head. Sellier and bellot was a close second. Rem,Win and federal had the bulges and in some cases were downright scary. Frank

Boolit Bub
    We find 303 brass in every gravel pit at this time of the year!! But with the supply of SMLE's drying up and the availability of newer and more powerful calibers in inexpensive rifles, we are seeing less and less. Popular brands here are Imperial (Canadian)
    Winchester & Remington and to a lesser extent, S&B & Prvi.
    Mike

I know I have a problem! I'm not asking for a cure.......just the next fix!

Boolit Master

What size o-ring do you guys use for the fireforming? Thanks-
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    Just FYI there is another method that is also popular involving lightly oiled cases with reduced loads for first firing. The details are important and can be found thru a search. This 'oil' method has worked good for me to fireform my brass to extend case life.

I saw new 30-40 brass for sale last week. Probably one of our catalog sales sponsors.
    Not sure it would work to make 303. Have heard of 303 forming to 30-40 in the past.
    Looks like going from Krag to Brit would be better as the Krag is longer brass.

This 'oil' method has worked good for me to fireform my brass to extend case life.
    I use this method using case lube (STP Smoke Stopper). It seems fine in tighter chambers. I've done it with a rifle with excess headspace too and that seemed to work OK.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Bub
    My only supply of .303 brass is PRVI Boxed 175 and 180 loaded ammo. Should I pull the bullets, fire form with cast boolits, and save the jacketed bullets? Would it be safe to use the o-ring method with the factory loaded ammo?

Boolit Master

I would go ahead and use the O-ring method without pulling the bullets. You will be fine.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, if you can get .30-40 Krag brass it will make .303 British brass. I have not done it as I have a lot of .303 British brass but the head of .30-40 Krag is a few thou larger so once formed it does not have the unsightly bulge that .303 British brass does.

As I understand it, it is as simple as running .30-40 Krag brass through the .303 full length sizing die then trim.

Longbow