MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 44 mag gas checks....do I need them?

44 mag gas checks....do I need them?

Hello,

Well, I'm new to casting and I'm getting ready to pull the order on most of my equipment. This includes molds, melt pot and other items. I'm going to start off casting for my 44 mag. I'm wanting to get the Lee .430" 310 grain FN double cavity mold.

After I lube the bullets, will it hurt to use this design without a gas check? And, with normal loads from a S&W 629-4 in 8 3/8" barrel do I even need them?

FYI, I plan on using the H110 for the burn rate, heavy bullet weight and longer barrel length.

Thanks for the help.

Craig
    Last edited by 45coltnut; 01-02-2014 at 09:35 PM.

They say you don't have to use them but I think that's in reference to target/lite loads. With h110, I'd think about giving gc's a try.

Boolit Master
    Craig, If you have never used those boolits in your gun, why not ask in the boolit exchange section if some one has some for you to try out first ? You might need to know what dia you really need first.
    Boolit FIT is king in reguards to leading and accuracy for that shape boolit. Its best to have cast boolits .001-.003 larger dia than your bbl groove dia., or in revolver biger than cyl. throats.
    Did you slug your bbl and cylinders yet ? Do you know What dia boolit you really need ? What lead mix are you going to use ?
    There is a vendor sponsor here that has several Dia boolits in 44 and might sell a sample pack to try out.

Gas checks may or may not be nessary depending on your load and everything above in regards to your revolver.

If I missed anything guys please add and or correct me. Just pointing him in the right direction to start.

Be safe, Mike

"Moderator Emeritus"

Just my opinion, and your mileage may vary. If a bullet design is cut for a GC, I use a GC. I have never had any success running a GC design without a GC, except at very low velocity.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yep, I'm going with a .430" mold. My chambers are right at .430 and the bore is a .429. So, hopefully this will work pretty good. Of course that is assuming the mold drops them at .430. I'm actually hoping it will drop them alittle larger. This way, it should seal good. But, if not I can always go with gas checks too. I'm just waiting to see before doing this so that I'll know what sizer to get.

I do plan on getting a Lyman Keith mold in 4 cavity. But, I wanted to start out with the lee due to the expenses of all of the equipment.

Boolit Master
    I have had very good success with lee stuff. If you need some, PM me and I will send you some .44 Aluminum gas checks to try. They are less expensive than copper and they prove to be good. 338REMULTRAMAG has a special on them now. There are others on here that sell them both alu and cu.
    You HAVE done your homework it seems. I could of saved my rant above.

Good loading and be safe,

Mike

Mike, thanks for the offer. I may just do that. And the rant....I didn't take it that way at all. I feel I'm a competent loader from the past 20 years of experience. But, when it comes to casting and loading together....I'm all ears

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions!

Boolit Master

I have the same mold, and I use H110. I would use a gas check in that combination, and do. If I don't want to gas check because I am not going to push the bullet, then I use a Lee 240 TL mold. To me the 310 grain boolit is for special purposes, not plinking.

Angry gas checks

Quote Originally Posted by 45coltnut View Post
    Hello,

Well, I'm new to casting and I'm getting ready to pull the order on most of my equipment. This includes molds, melt pot and other items. I'm going to start off casting for my 44 mag. I'm wanting to get the Lee .430" 310 grain FN double cavity mold.

After I lube the bullets, will it hurt to use this design without a gas check? And, with normal loads from a S&W 629-4 in 8 3/8" barrel do I even need them?

FYI, I plan on using the H110 for the burn rate, heavy bullet weight and longer barrel length.

Thanks for the help.

Craig
    I always use gas checks on a 44 mag if you are loading to mag velocities. I had that same bullet and let me tell you it wasn't fun shoot. I got rid of the mold.

Boolit Mold

I'm also new the the casting game and have followed the same path you are. I just received my Lee .430" 310 grain FN double mold from Midway. Unfortunately it's -5 degrees today here in Minnesota so I can't get out the garage to cast. I got the Lee 4-20 bottom pour pot and I really like it. It works very well and heats up quick.

Boolit Master
    I shoot that Lee 310 gr. in a Ruger SBH as cast and tumble lubed up to medium pressure/velocity. Gassing it to higher speeds needs the gc to prevent leading in my gun. My mold drops them about .431" using ww and scrap mix. Lots of people shoot gc designs without the gc, no problem. Just gotta adjust down a little.

I've used the KT-250 plain base for ever, no leading issues in any of my guns. VERY accurate. I've downed Black Bear with it
    maybe give it a thought?

Thanks for all of the replies. All of casting equipment should be in by tomorrow and I'm like a child at Christmas right now....just can't wait! Maybe I'll get to try it this weekend if the temps don't drop to cold.

I'm going to first try the 310 grain boolits without a gas check. I'll also plan on both air cooling and water quenching for testing purposes. It may not make any difference as I know fit is king and sized at .430" should seal up nicely.

My biggest wondering is to which powder will work best. A faster or slowere powder? I would at first think H110 being slower would work best with the heavy boolit and long barrel without causing erosion to the boolit. But, I'm not sure. Will have to test.

Boolit Master

I just worked up a good load with that bullet, with gas checks and a heavy charge of H110 in a Ruger SBH. It's downright painful to shoot, but shoots great.

As far as gas check being necessary, these guys know what they are talking about in regards to fit. I worked up a good load a while back with plain base 255gr. boolits; a heavy H110 load for use in both a S&W 629 and a Marlin 1894. I sized them to fit the 1894 bore and used good lube, and was pleasantly surprised to have little to no leading even at rifle velocities.

Banned

I have some 44 cal GC's in stock now.

Copper and priced right.