RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulgogi - Korean marinated meat

Boolit Mold

Bulgogi - Korean marinated meat

I had a pretty good deal with one of my NCO's a little over a decade ago when we were stationed at Charleston AFB; I killed hogs and he cooked 'em up for the both of us. Eventually I PCS'd and he consented to share the recipe. This sauce/marinade will take care of several pounds of meat (I've used beef, wild boar, deer, moose, and all worked just fine) and you can adjust ingredients as your taste demands...

1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup sesame oil
    1 cup sugar
    1 bunch sliced green onions
    3 cloves of minced garlic (I use more)
    1/4 sesame seeds (I prefer roasted)
    Crushed red pepper to suit you

Marinate thinly sliced meat for several hours. Grill meat, then dip back in marinade and reheat on the grill or in a pan. Heat marinade in a pot to use as sauce.

Lay meat over rice and cover with sauce. A little kimchee on the side is great and beer certainly doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by Badger Matt; 12-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Banned

I enjoy Bulgogi and will try this.

I think I'm the only guy who finished a career in the Army and never PCS'd to Korea. I had been in 23 years before I ever set foot on the penninsula and then it was TDY, loved the place. We have a few very nice family run Korean restaraunts around here and I like the food.

Boolit Master

In the early 60's we were discouraged from eating any where except on the compound.I would like to see the country now.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    In the early 60's we were discouraged from eating any where except on the compound.I would like to see the country now.
    I was there 1969-70, and despite the warning "don't eat in the vil" I had several forays with my KATUSA loader, ate some great food, had some interesting conversations (with SGT Lee interpreting) because Koreans didn't know Cajuns and our propensity to a) eat ANYTHING and b) eat it HOT.

Nothing cuts through a chill on the banks of the Injim River like swapping a box of C-rations for a pot of steaming hot ramen from the local and enterprising mama-san.

dale in Louisiana
    (1/72d Armor, 2nd ID, 1969-70, Camp rose, Korea)

Boolit Master
    Dale I've heard a lot of stories like that, and really liking Korean food. I am going to try it as soon as I can find a good Korean restaurant in Frederick Maryland.

Mean while I will look up some recipes and try what Badger Matt posted.

HOWEVER, There is no way in Hell I plan on eating any kimshee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Changeling; 12-16-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Friend of mine's Korean wife taught me to make homemade kimchee. Love it. And I like stuff HOT too! Lots hotter than any of my family will eat. So I have to add extra after the fact.

Now I have a Bulgogi recipe! Thanx! And the wife loves Bulgogi too!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the recipe. I am like everyone else on the thread--love Korean food. Ate a ton of it in Killeen. Not at the big places, but the little mom and pop spots. Love kimchee and have a recipe for it, also. I think my favorite dish was Hoedeopbap, which is a layer of steamed rice covered with vegetables and raw fish. It's served with a spicy sauce which is poured over it and mixed by the diner. I gotta clean the drool off the keyboard now, dang it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Mold

Hope you enjoy the recipe guys. For those who haven't been all that impressed with kimchee in the past, try and find a small Korean restaurant and try something other than the typical cabbage kimchee. I like cucumber and whatever else they make.

If you make any mods to the recipe, please share them. I love Korean food and would love a little variety.

Boolit Master

The little mom and pop places I was talking about always had interesting kimchee. A couple of them I recognized, like daikon, carrot, cucumber and turnip. A couple of others I have no idea--one looked like twigs! It was all good, though.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

What? no mokli?
    In 1971 I was stationed at Yong San Garrison, Hqs Co, EUSA. One of the guys in the barracks went on a picnic with some Korean acquaintances. When he returned we asked him what he had eaten. He told us that they called it cow. Another GI who was studying Korean said: "You dummy-that's the word for dog!"
    He instantly barfed.
    Oh the good old days......
    Frozen Chosun-the Army's best kept secret
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    What? no mokli?
    In 1971 I was stationed at Yong San Garrison, Hqs Co, EUSA. One of the guys in the barracks went on a picnic with some Korean acquaintances. When he returned we asked him what he had eaten. He told us that they called it cow. Another GI who was studying Korean said: "You dummy-that's the word for dog!"
    He instantly barfed.
    Oh the good old days......
    Frozen Chosun-the Army's best kept secret
    DOG--Native American MRE. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Boolit Master

Mmmm, I'll have to try your bulgogi recipe. I usually buy the jarred sauce which is ok but not as good as the restaurants.

I love kimchee, the trick to a good one is have a good dash of nuc maam fish sauce in it for the rich edgy bite to it. I love all the other ones especially the dichon radish ones and the soy and sesame bean sprouts.

ETA- cabbage will keep your innards in good working order too.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    The little mom and pop places I was talking about always had interesting kimchee. A couple of them I recognized, like daikon, carrot, cucumber and turnip. A couple of others I have no idea--one looked like twigs! It was all good, though.
    I was at Kunsan, I liked the cabbage kimchee but I can't say that about the twig looking stuff.
    Jeff

bhn22
    Okay, my favorite kimchee story. A friend of mine and I worked for two different branches of the same large company. Ol' Walt got stuck at the corporate headquarters, and I was one of the lesser branch managers. For Walt, this meant work, work, work. He'd go get lunch and eat it at his desk while working. He had to do this every day. One day, he ran out real quick and got a burger, fries and a Coke and drug it back to his desk to consume. Later in the day, he called me to say that the receptionist complained bitterly because she could smell the onions on his burger, that they were making he sick, and she may have to go home early (poor baby). I made the remark that she was lucky there wasn't a good Korean Restaurant nearby. THAT would really get her.

Now Walt was/is a mischievous sort of guy, and the next morning he went through the phone book, searching for the nearest Korean restaurant. You guessed it, when he dragged his lunch to his desk, it was kimchee, and jum bong soup (ugh). The smell permeated the building, and when people came in to see what died in his office, and maybe take pictures, the found Walt peacefully enjoying his lunch. The receptionist did go home that day, primarily because Walt made a big deal of eating a baby octopus tentacle in front of her, and asked her politely if she wanted to try some. Nobody ever messed with Walt over food again.

Boolit Master

Reminds me of the time we did a maintenance halt outside a small village in Korea. I dispatched my loader, a KATUSA (Korean) named Lee with a pocketful of won to get us something to snack on.

We picked the convoy with me perched in the commander's hatch peeling and chewing strips of dried cuttlefish. Not bad at all.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    ...a KATUSA (Korean) named Lee with a pocketful of won to get us something to snack on.

We picked the convoy with me perched in the commander's hatch peeling and chewing strips of dried cuttlefish...
    Worked in a shop where if you went TDY and didn't lock your desk, you might end up with a road killed squirrel in it when you returned. Our captain returned to a slowly growing odor and tore apart his office...finally finding a little bit of dried cuttlefish in a cup of water behind books in his bookcase

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    Reminds me of the time we did a maintenance halt outside a small village in Korea. I dispatched my loader, a KATUSA (Korean) named Lee with a pocketful of won to get us something to snack on.

We picked the convoy with me perched in the commander's hatch peeling and chewing strips of dried cuttlefish. Not bad at all.

dale in Louisiana
    I was a jeep driver at Div Arty and would get $5.00 (script) worth of one won notes on payday, to give the children.They could buy candy and such with it and would look for the jeep and gather around for the freebies.They enjoyed it and I loved doing it for them.Probably one of the brighter spots in their little lives.This was in the early 60's.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master
    Just talked to the butcher. He'll sell me flank steak or sirloin, (My Choice) and slice it as thin as he can for me. Gonna try this bulgogi thing this weekend. Probably with Udon noodles and other veggies. Looks great. Been reading up Bulgogi and it is VERY popular and tasty.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I thought it was OK the first time I ate it, but all the koreans were snickering behing their hands. I think it was buldogoi instead of bulgogi.

Boolit Master
    I've got a similar recipe. I love it. Mine replaces the sugar with a Coca-Cola (not a pepsi, gotta be the real thing) and adds pineapple and minced white onion in addition to the green onion. The rest is close. Nuthin better!! I'll have to try yours.