Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 800x powder data for 9mm and 40 cal?

Boolit Buddy

800x powder data for 9mm and 40 cal?

I gave one of my sons a list of what he needed to get started loading for both of these. He did OK with most everything on the list except for powder. When He bought powder they were out of everything on my list So he let the counter guy sell him a couple pounds of 800x. I have not found much data at all for 800x, Is it too new? Or just not suitable for a pistol round? If suitable does anyone have any data. He bought Berrys plated bullets to start but we will be switching to cast lead when those are gone. The bullets are 124gr for the 9mm and 165 gr in 40. What do you all think? DR

Moderator Emeritus

IMR 800X certainly isn't a new powder. I've only used it for hot 10mm Auto loads, but the problem with it is it meters like corn flakes. I have over half a dozen different powder measures and none of them will meter it worth a darn.

It's only intended for loading with the heavier bullets, and I wouldn't use it for 9x19 at all. In .40 S&W, it's only listed for 180 grain bullets, and that's my minimum weight I'll use if for in the 10mm.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

The Hodgon site has the data for 9mm and only 1 load for 40 S&W

115 GR. LRN IMR 800-X .356" 1.100" 4.5 1004 24,000 PSI 5.3 1128 28,200 PSI
    124 GR. BERB HBRN TP IMR 800-X .356" 1.150" 5.2 1060 27,700 PSI 5.7 1114 30,400 PSI
    125 GR. LCN IMR 800-X .356" 1.125" 4.5 1015 24,900 PSI 5.0 1051 26,200 PSI
    130 GR. BERB RN IMR 800-X .356" 1.150" 5.3 1032 28,700 PSI 5.8 1104 31,000 PSI
    147 GR. HDY XTP IMR 800-X .355" 1.100" 3.5 808 25,600 PSI 4.0 883 28,900 PSI

Well that got messed up, but the site has the data
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I just gave away almost a pound of 800X- there is more to life than weighing powder for 9mm. 800X does indeed meter like corn flakes! When Unique became available again, I was back in business again.
    Loren

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like it's like 700x, I hate the stuff!

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds like it will be sitting on a shelf for awhile! Thanks DR

Boolit Buddy

Actually I like 800x for alot of calibers and I'm sure it will run fine in both 9 mm(I've used it) and the 40 s&w. The real short coming thats been mentioned is that it does'nt meter very well. Throw the charge a little light and trickle up or use Lee powder dippers
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard57 View Post
    Actually I like 800x for alot of calibers and I'm sure it will run fine in both 9 mm(I've used it) and the 40 s&w. The real short coming thats been mentioned is that it does'nt meter very well. Throw the charge a little light and trickle up or use Lee powder dippers
    Jeff
    Mallard, From a scoop or dipper can you get a consistent charge? If so he may just want to burn this up. thanks DR

Boolit Buddy

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I found that dippers work pretty well, I wouldn't use them to load maximum loads though.
    Jeff

I have a bunch of it, and best thing to do is measure by volume, once you have the weight.... I use it, and just know what a dipper weighs, and then measure with the dipper......

Ag

I have several pounds left over from my tryst with the 10mm. Yup, meters poorly. But it was the tits for loading hot 10mm ammo, I will give it that. I may try to use it in some light 7.62x39 loads one of these days. Then again, maybe not.

I love 800x in both 9mm and 40s&w. Very accurate powder and cheap too! Not for mouse-fart loads though. Definitely in the warm-hot load range.

Hounddog

Boolit Master

Bought some when powder was scarce. Use it in 44 Mag. but is does not meter well. I stay safely under max loads. Even with the variations I still seem to get consistent results at the 25 yard mark. I will be happy though when the 8 lb. jug I got runs out.

I have some 800x now and need load data for 45 acp with 200gr lswc. what is the volume # on this powder ?I Cant find much info on this powder,anyone have any data in pdf?
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Man
    When powder was scarce I started using it as it was all I could get. It didn't seem very position sensitive in 45 colt and metered decent enough out of my Dillon that it didn't affect accuracy at normal pistol ranges. I like it but data is hard to find, it is there but you have to look for it in different printings of manuals. I would find data on a charge (it's on IMR's web site for 9mm) throw 20 or 30 charges from your powder measure and see what the variance is hi&low and adjust to stay in data range (keep your powder hopper at roughly the same fill level, Don't run it low then fill it back up). I bet under 40 yards off hand accuracy is worse than any accuracy issues caused by powder variance. Just check your charges often and keep your hopper fairly consistent and you should be fine as long as your brand/type of measure will run flake powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm an 800x enthusiast. There are all kinds of tricks to this powder. It might just possibly be gods gift to mankind. I bought a pound of it and started having buyers remorse when I tried to use it.

Yeah, other powders are compared to this when someone wants to convey that it meters poorly. Stick with it and your technique will be refined eventually. It's like it is it's own hobby, but it's worth it. Max loads with the lowest safest pressures.

It's also great for experimentation, safe and it seems like the data out there is only half complete with plenty of gray area to navigate.

I fell in love with it when it came shooting time though. Now I'm half way thru the 8 lb jug that replaced the 1 pounder and waiting for it to come in stock so I can get a case and never worry about it again.

I absolutely do not care if your bullet or caliber isn't listed by the manufacturer for use with 800x. Look around some more, it's probably out there but hidden. A good example is pre-hodgdon imr lists it for all manner of things, they get acquired and loads get dropped.

This is not a powder to run at minimum loads because you don't do well with recoil though, use this when you want your bullet to hit hard. At low loads it gets a little wonky. You kind of want the powder to make a nice fluffy pillow for your bullet to ease it's tender behind into and get comfy. Read: full.

I've read of people doing utterly insane things with this powder, but they could be full of ****. Similarly, so can I. Work your own loads up yourself carefully. Maybe don't run out and grab 8 pounds, but do yourself a favor and get a pound to play with, and then when I have another case on the way to my house feel free to buy quantity after, I'm not trying to kill my own resupply here

Boolit Buddy
    I actually have the "supplemental loads" leaflet that IMR gave out with the powder when it was a new powder way back when. It lists loads for every cartridge that was around in the mid 70's. I can post any loads from it that anyone needs...

Just ran across this thread, I have a couple of pounds I got recently and loaded up a few rounds for my 9mm to see how it performed. Got back from range today and I ran some Hornady 115gr XTP rounds with 6.0 and 6.5grains of 800X thru my PPQ and they ran really well. 6.5 will be my max, will probably stay with 6.0 or so for these bullets.. I ran a bunch of my Lee cast 125gr RN boolits thru the gun today. The loads were low, started with 4.3 gr just cast and Alox lubed. Several of these were FTE, the next higher up at 4.5 both Alox and HF PC'd worked fine with no FTE or other issues. This is the first time I had used Alox lubed, and shure were smoky (indoor range)! The 800X feeds thru my cheep Lee powder meter just as well as the Red Dot I've been using. Will be able to use up really easily!

Boolit Mold
    Info needed; 800X gr.weights or data for,.32S&W long 93gr.lrn,.380acp.102 gr.lrn,.38 spl.150gr.lrn. 800x is the only powder I can find right now ,so bear with me for now.Not much info I can find. Thanks,Gus

Boolit Buddy
    I'll see if that data is in the old IMR book I have that I mentioned when I get home from work tonight.