WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casting Indoor question (specific question about this setup) Is this "safe"?

Banned
    [QUOTE=snuffy;2539030]
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm glad your smart enough to have remove the combustible liquids and gas from your basement. That is step #1. Step two would be to cast in an environment that was safer like the garage or an out building.

For the record....I'm not bitter about anything and certainly not because someone lacking common sense disagreed with me. When its all said and done my home will be free of any contaminants.

Good for you! Your home is free from that extremely toxic, dangerous lead.

As the old saying goes ...you can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I guess you simply cannot make a red neck adopt common sense.
    Apparently you just don't get it, some of us cast indoors WITHOUT any problems. You saying we're stupid does not make your case for you.[/QUOTE

I guess that makes me a red-neck. I think that's a compliment. Us red-necks have a different way of thinking. What don't kill us just makes us stronger.

Just get rid of the EPA prophets-of-doom thinking, get on with your life.

My suggestion to you is put down the moonshine and let your brain clear up. I'm more worried about the combustable surrounding in the basement than I am about the EPA ramifications of casting indoors. My logic is this.....my casting in the garage puts me away from the walls and materials that are combustable unlike casting inside a wooden enclosure or casting near wooden walls and ceilings of a basement. When you consider than some here own drip-a-matic casting pots the possibility of having a river of lead come out increases. My Mark IV doesn't drip or I wouldn't consider casting in my garage.

Peace..................Merry Christmas

Rod,

Your on the list for my reloading equipment when I kick the bucket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    It doesn't make good sense to me to cast indoors. Not to bright to have an object that puts out close to 1000 degrees of heat close to combustable material. I'm sure your home owners insurance wouldn't look kindly at casting indoors.
    What about a gas or fuel oil furnace in your house, crawlspace or attic? Insurance companies see them as OK as long as safety margins are maintained to combustables. Can't a casting pot be placed far enough from combustables to satisfy these requirements?

Boolit Grand Master

I'll bet 6bg6ga has a high opinion of me, I've been casting for decades and have yet to cast a single boolit in a garage or outside.

Somehow and I really can't imagine how it's possible but somehow . . . I have yet to cause a single fire! Not one fire! Ever! I just don't understand how that could be. I guess my brain just hasn't cleared up and I have no common sense. And to make matters even worse everything is so contaminated that my blood lead levels year after year test in the low adult normal range.

Oh wait, I know what it is . . . Nobody has pulled my stupid chain.

6bg6ga by insulting everyone that posts isn't going to get you any place. Your casting set up is as you like it and that's a good thing but just because your way is what your comfortable with does not mean everyone and anyone that does it different is fool.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I'll bet 6bg6ga has a high opinion of me, I've been casting for decades and have yet to cast a single boolit in a garage or outside.

Somehow and I really can't imagine how it's possible but somehow . . . I have yet to cause a single fire! Not one fire! Ever! I just don't understand how that could be. I guess my brain just hasn't cleared up and I have no common sense. And to make matters even worse everything is so contaminated that my blood lead levels year after year test in the low adult normal range.

6bg6ga by insulting everyone that posts isn't going to get you any place. Your casting set up is as you like it and that's a good thing but just because your way is what your comfortable with does not mean everyone and anyone that does it different is fool.

Rick
    Thanks Rick, I just wish I could write as clearly as you do.

As a matter of fact, I only had moonshine once, it was legal stuff called ever clear. Nasty ****, but I never liked whiskey anyway. As for now, last August was 30 years sober, so my head is pretty clear concerning the effects of alcohol.

What Rick said in spades! If how you do it works good for you, by all means keep it up. I see no location in your profile, but I bet it is not anywhere near the upper tier of states. I could not cast in my garage except maybe mid may to Sept. I refuse to be restrained to those months, that's when the garden takes most of my time and energy.

Calling me a drunk, or just plain stupid is coming out as a desperate measure to re-enforce your shaky stand. Keep on doing what you're doing, and have a merry CHRISTmas!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

[QUOTE=6bg6ga;2539081]
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post

My suggestion to you is put down the moonshine and let your brain clear up. I'm more worried about the combustable surrounding in the basement than I am about the EPA ramifications of casting indoors. My logic is this.....my casting in the garage puts me away from the walls and materials that are combustable unlike casting inside a wooden enclosure or casting near wooden walls and ceilings of a basement. When you consider than some here own drip-a-matic casting pots the possibility of having a river of lead come out increases. My Mark IV doesn't drip or I wouldn't consider casting in my
    Peace..................Merry Christmas

Rod,

Your on the list for my reloading equipment when I kick the bucket.
    That was completely out of line & actually quite childish. I simpliy tried to give you some pointers on how to get a draft going to clear your garage & you go on an insult tangent to anyone who disagreed with you. Having over 1200+ posts & Bullet Master title doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful.

Maybe you should take your awesome Supercharged Z-28 for a drive & clear your head before responding to a thread from now on. Keep going the way you are, ain't nobody here going to respect you or your opinion.

Snuffy, Congrats on 30 years Brother.

I pick up any/all vacuum cleaner hose people discard and I duct tape/splice it together and run some of it thru the basement floor joists as a vent to the outside. I also have a canister vacuum cleaner. It draws well and I hung it in the rafters above my milling machine (in my basement) with some hose coming down to very near the milling cutter. Doing a heavy cut on metal with oil on the workpiece, stinky smoke is generated. Since I have the mill in the basement, the smoke permeated the house but the vacuum solved that problem. I happen to like the smell of
    cutting lubricant as well as gunpowder smoke in the house so it doesn't bother me. Also, I don't have a wife to gripe about it, either.
    I will have my Boolit Master in the same shop where my mill is and will be using the same vacuum cleaner/smoke extractor to remove the smoke.
    Most metalworking shops are fairly fire-resistant (NOTHING is fire proof so I won't go there) so casting should not be a problem in that room, be it in the basement, bedroom or garage. I have no qualms about casting under my kitchen, especially since my pot will be PID controlled to about 700*. Having smelted my range scrap and WWs into clean ingots, there shouldn't be much smoke. All the smelting was done in the garage with the doors open to get the stink out. The one thing I ruled out is bringing my welder into the house. I leave it in the garage with a complete metal surround and overhead guard and a clean, uncluttered concrete floor within reach of any sparks generated.
    Bottom line, I'm not worried about lead fumes or fires in the house.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Quote Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
    I pick up any/all vacuum cleaner hose people discard and I duct tape/splice it together and run some of it thru the basement floor joists as a vent to the outside. I also have a canister vacuum cleaner. It draws well and I hung it in the rafters above my milling machine (in my basement) with some hose coming down to very near the milling cutter. Doing a heavy cut on metal with oil on the workpiece, stinky smoke is generated. Since I have the mill in the basement, the smoke permeated the house but the vacuum solved that problem. I happen to like the smell of
    cutting lubricant as well as gunpowder smoke in the house so it doesn't bother me. Also, I don't have a wife to gripe about it, either.
    I will have my Boolit Master in the same shop where my mill is and will be using the same vacuum cleaner/smoke extractor to remove the smoke.
    Most metalworking shops are fairly fire-resistant (NOTHING is fire proof so I won't go there) so casting should not be a problem in that room, be it in the basement, bedroom or garage. I have no qualms about casting under my kitchen, especially since my pot will be PID controlled to about 700*. Having smelted my range scrap and WWs into clean ingots, there shouldn't be much smoke. All the smelting was done in the garage with the doors open to get the stink out. The one thing I ruled out is bringing my welder into the house. I leave it in the garage with a complete metal surround and overhead guard and a clean, uncluttered concrete floor within reach of any sparks generated.
    Bottom line, I'm not worried about lead fumes or fires in the house.

I got lucky & found a GREAT woman that was into the same things as me, so I married her. That being said, I remember the "Bachlor" life & though I love my wife, I do miss it sometimes!!! I remember rebuilding 34 dirtbike engines on my kitchen counter & parking the bikes in the living room. I didn't have the Cutting Oil "Potpourri" but I did have the Racing Fuel one. I keep trying to convince her that its better then Fresh Linen but she's not going for it!

Boolit Buddy
    X2 squirrel cage and inlet source. Your motor and fan blades will eventually be coated with wax, stop drawing and become a fire hazard. I have to remove the squirrel cage and clean every 2 years. The lead in your pistol primers(fine dust) is more of a threat to you. be safe.

I kept saying I'm not getting in this as others will say what need be said but I can hold back no longer. Your fault Rick.

been casting for decades and have yet to cast a single boolit in a garage or outside.
    +1

Somehow and I really can't imagine how it's possible but somehow . . . I have yet to cause a single fire! Not one fire! Ever!
    +1

And to make matters even worse everything is so contaminated that my blood lead levels year after year test in the low adult normal range.
    +1, mine is 3.

Now my side is hurtin'. You da man Rick.

It seems to me that if common-sense is applied to setting up for casting inside, particularly with regard to inflammable materials, then there's no reason that it should be any more dangerous than other hobbies. In fact, if you're using an electric pot it is inherently safe as there is no naked flame. As glicerin said, fans will clog up with wax, but only if you use wax for fluxing in the casting pot. Smelting, of course, is another issue entirely!!

Boolit Master

My indoor casting setup will include a range hood, directed outside air source, a sheet metal surface under the pot, and dedicated light to the casting area. I stopped fluxing with wax after learning that wood chips/sawdust/used ground walnut works very well. (Another useful tip from this site) I've cast outdoors, albeit in a covered area, for decades. Casting indoors will be the ticket for the really cold days when the wind is howling. My current casting setup is very portable and very clean. My goal is to make a casting station that replicates the ergonomics of my portable setup in the shop my wife and youngest daughter built for me for Christmas. I poured the slab a while ago, they finished it while I was out west for a spell. Women folk can be sneaky! Ok, us guys can be sneaky to, I built her AR while I was out west. Someday soon I hope to post pictures.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Mold

I have a blower from an RV furnace I'm looking to install. Too many projects right now, but promise to upload a picture soon.

Well my setup is working ok for now but I plan on adding 1 or 2 more fans or picking up a more powerful blower.