Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Pistol powder?

Pistol powder?

I just bought my son a 1851 44 cal Pietta for Christmas. The LGS has pyrodex, Triple 7 and an Aliant BP substitute. Which do you recommend?

I have no experience with BP revolvers. Some with rifles. I have .451 round balls and a tin of #11 caps from my 45 cal muzzle loading rifle. These should get us started. Any advice would be appreciated.

Al
    Joshua 1:9

Boolit Buddy

I have no experience with an of the BP substitutes. Use 3F BP in my pistols. 25 grains. You might want a bigger ball. .454 or .457. Make sure you shave a ring of lead off the ball. Beware of chain fires with the .451 balls

Boolit Grand Master

Pyrodex "P" is the equivalent to 3f and worked good in pistols for me. I have never used the others though.
    Aim small, miss small!

Perm-Banned
    carbine hs it right for accracy and safety, you can do no better.

Good reviews on the Aliant MZ so maybe that but, I like 777 easier to cleanup and not as corrosive as the "P"

2nd on carbine's take the real powder is best.
    Cast Boolit Shooter and Caster

Boolit Master
    Since black is hard to get, I'd stay clean away from Pyrodex. I tried Triple-7 in a little .36 cal rifle and a big .58. Worked like a charm. I've heard some folks say it left a bad deposit but didn't leave any sort of deposit at all in either of my M/L rifles. It might have had to do with the fact that I was using lubed patches with beeswax and Olive oil? No kiddin, best stuff I've ever shot. You are supposed to cut your charges using this stuff so go to Hodgdon website and get your loads. Also, .454 balls, not .451. I would be really concerned about chainfires like someone already mentioned. I used to use those "wonder-wads" over the powder in my .44 revolver and then seat the ball down over that.

Boolit Buddy
    3f goex(real black powder), then 777. I use both for rifles, single shot pistols and revolvers. Goex and 777 cleans the nicest. The only Pyrodex i use is the pellet form for my inline rifles, i don't use the powder version
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Thanks,

Can't find real BP here.

I bought triple 7, and some wonder wads.

I'll try the .451 balls and then order a larger mold if need be. I have also seen posts of people using the .451 balls in a Pietta. We'll see how they fit if they are too lose I'll buy a box of .455 the only other size available here.

Thanks again for the help

Al
    Joshua 1:9

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    .451s may well be large enough for Piettas. If you can't get real fffg BP, its a crapshoot with the fakes.
    Good thing to know about the Pietta Brand. I have a Euroarms that does it's best with .454's. Doesn't mean they all are this way though.

Thing I have against Pyrodex is that it seems to be more corrosive than black powder and have had that kind of bad luck with it. I just tried out the Triple-7 and found out that it is easy to clean without taking off the bluing in the process and is the best stuff I have found. No comparison to Pyrodex. With Pyrodex, I would clean and lube and then the next day, have to reclean or I got rust. So far, this Triple 7 stuff gets my vote and it's not that expensive-at least not here in Idaho.

Boolit Master
    If the caps are a little too loose you can slightly pinch them for a tighter fit, but best to get snug fitting caps as it leaves the window open to chain fires.

My understanding is that Pietta's have undersized chambers that run .445-.447". My Cabelas Pietta 1858 came with the starter pack with .451" RB's. Haven't tried it yet as the pistol is on backorder.

I hate Pyrodex, but liked Triple 7. But I've since been buying Goex Olde Eynsford through Grafs. From what I understand is that it's hard to find anyone willing to ship up there to AK, right? It's far cheaper and just as energetic.

I have some Pyrodex Rs -FFG Equivalent will that work just wondering I'm know BP person at all.

Boolit Master
    It will work. Some seem to prefer it in their .44 cal pistols.

With Pyrodex you must clean ASAP.

I had read a few posts about CASS shooters leaving their guns even up to several days without incident, and did that when I had spent 6 hours at the range shooting my new rifle and my pistol. I left it 'til the morning and the Pyrodex tore up my barrel. It took a very long time to get it clean again.

rodwha Thanks is there a better choice of powder I'm going to the LGS. I'm going to shoot my ROA so any help would be a big plus. Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL
    Last edited by daniel lawecki; 12-22-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've only used Triple 7, Goex Olde Eynsford, and Pyrodex (RS and P). I'd use about anything other than Pyrodex.

My favorite now is Olde E as it's as energetic as Swiss or Triple 7, but inexpensive. Triple 7 doesn't foul up much at all.

I've heard good thing about MZ, but it's just not a sporting grade powder, which to me is quite important as I intend on using my guns for hunting, and I buy powder to use universally between my arms, so the focus is on my handguns. With sporting grade powders I can get over 500 ft/lbs. With standard powders about 350 ft/lbs would be about max.

Merry Christmas!!!

Boolit Bub
    I use and shoot all that I can find/try in my revolvers and rifles. These are my observations of the subs that I currently use.
    I have been shooting Alliant Black-MZ for the past couple of months and so far I like it. It is not as fine as FFFg closer to FFg, leaves very little mess and is noncorrosive. Black-MZ is kinda fluffy so I tap the measure. It can be compressed. Makes a lot of smoke similar to black powder. I can leave guns dirty a day or two before I clean with no ill effect.
    777 has a lot of pep and cleans easily. Not as much smoke as black powder. Only compress lightly.
    Pyrodex P/Pellets, measures same as BP. Not as much smoke. P can be compressed. Very corrosive clean guns asap after shooting.
    Of the "Holy Black" I prefer Swiss followed by Old E. Goex seems dirtier not as much pep. Old E is best value for the money IMHO.