RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Is the nozzle on the Pro Melt replaceable?

Boolit Master

Is the nozzle on the Pro Melt replaceable?

It doesn't seem so looking at the schematics, but that doesn't mean it doesn't...

Appreciate any knowledge you can toss my way...

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

If it is blocked and can't be fixed, get ahold of RCBS, they will send you a whole new 'can' to replace the old one, just drill out the pop rivets and replace with a good metal screw, no to answer your ?, the nozzle is not replaceable. I have done this with one of my Pro Pots.

Boolit Master

Thanks...

I picked this one up from the local classifieds, and it wants to drip...

All sorts of junk in the nozzle, I think the guy that cast sinkers with it just dumped raw WWs straight into the pot...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

You may be able to clean it out, get it up to temp 'empty', I used a brass or copper bore cleaning brush in my cordless drill and got rid of the built up dross, easy to do.

Boolit Master

I tried that today, but not "hot"...

I'll have to go turn it back on...

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the same issue. I have tried many things to get rid of the grunge to stop the drip.
    I need to make a call to RCBS.

Boolit Master

The nozzle is pressed into the pot...

RCBS will not warranty it, cost me just shy of $40 with shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

I clean mine frequently. A propane torch trained on the bottom of the nozzle will usually melt the lead. Have a tool like a bent paperclip or a torch tip cleaner to run in the nozzle once it is open. I use a long dental type pick from the top to get the lead off the inside of the nozzle, then stainless bore brushes on a rod in the cordless drill. Clean the metal rod used as a valve. I use a little lapping compound on the tip so it does not drip. Only takes just a few turns in the cordless drill to get it to seal. Once you lap it you will be able to see if someone has scarred the sealing area. If so lap some more.
    A good strong cleaner like Castrol Superclean or Purple Power will help clean rthe inside of the pot and keep the dust down. A dust mask should still be worn when working on the pot. I use a circular wire brush for the hard stuff in the cordless drill while I wear a respirator.
    If for some reason you feel the need to tap on the rod that seals the nozzle do so very softly as the nozzle is sheet metal and stretches very easily, as I found out.

Moderator Emeritus
    That is is a change of attitude from them.

Three years ago I bought a second hand Pro Melt that had the pouring fittings missing and the housing for the mould guide was turning in the body of the Furnace.

I emailed RCBS asking how much the replacement parts were going to be and they sent the whole lot for free, to the UK. The guide housing was part of the lower casing like the spout and that is what I got the whole lower casing which is pop riveted onto the upper casing.

Shame if their cast iron guarantee is getting rusty, it was always one of RCBS's strong points.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I was told that since it is an electronic tool, the warranty is different.

Brandon

Moderator Emeritus
    I wasn't swapping any electrical parts, but then neither are you.

Sounds like some tattie counting lawyer has done a risk assessment.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    The nozzle is pressed into the pot...

RCBS will not warranty it, cost me just shy of $40 with shipping.
    That's odd, they sent me the complete pot/nozzle and drop rod under warranty just a couple years ago.....

Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably has a lot to do with " WHO " you're talking to as to their response.

We have all had experiences where Person A says ^(%$#@ and Person B says just the opposite. Both work for the same company.

Go figure.................

Boolit Master

Got the new pot yesterday, took maybe 15 minutes to change, because I filed down the rivets, instead of drilling them out.

Sure looks purty now, now I gotta go get it dirty!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Probably has a lot to do with " WHO " you're talking to as to their response.

We have all had experiences where Person A says ^(%$#@ and Person B says just the opposite. Both work for the same company.

Go figure.................
    Hi,
    Yes! +++1
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.